EU membership

invergowrie arab

Simple it's not any other nations business to get involved, and they wouldn't risk a political fall out with the UK over it

I understand the other nations not getting involved for political reasons and the risk of political fall out with the UK Government, but Alex Salmond always claims that Scotland would be a asset to the EU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the other nations not getting involved for political reasons and the risk of political fall out with the UK Government, but Alex Salmond always claims that Scotland would be a asset to the EU

Good, then you won't need to keep going on about it

So 2 answer to 1 question!, so, back to my point why doesn't Alex Salmond seek to find a friendly nation to ask the question and by-pass Cameron, that of course does depend on Salmond being right to begin with

You still haven't given a coherent answer as to why Cameron doesn't ask himself. He's been told by the EU that they will provide an answer if the UK asks officially. As such, the ball's currently in his court.

With regard to Salmond asking a friendly nation, I've already explained why. There are numerous Indy movements in various countries across the EU. These countries (including the UK) don't want this question asked, and will put diplomatic pressure on any country that looks like asking it. Why would (say) Poland ask such a question and fall out with the UK, Spain & Italy just to do Eck a favour?

You still haven't given a coherent answer as to why Cameron doesn't ask himself. He's been told by the EU that they will provide an answer if the UK asks officially.

Really?

Can you provide some evidence to support this claim please?

You still haven't given a coherent answer as to why Cameron doesn't ask himself. He's been told by the EU that they will provide an answer if the UK asks officially. As such, the ball's currently in his court.

I don't recall the EU saying this. When are they supposed to have said that?

They've already refused to state the position despite a motion from MEPs asking, the justification given being that they did not want to (be seen to) interfere in the independence referendum.

So, both the troll & the "confirmed Yes voter" are in lock-step yet again.

Go on lads, fill your boots...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20164826

The UK government has said it would not ask the European Commission's view on whether an independent Scotland would remain a member of the EU.

The statement follows confirmation from the commission that it would offer its opinion if asked to by a member state.

So, both the troll & the "confirmed Yes voter" are in lock-step yet again.

Go on lads, fill your boots...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20164826

The UK government has said it would not ask the European Commission's view on whether an independent Scotland would remain a member of the EU.

The statement follows confirmation from the commission that it would offer its opinion if asked to by a member state.

Thanks for that. I'd observe that's from 2012. The refusal of the Commission to provide advice on petition of MEPs was a matter of weeks ago.

Thanks for that. I'd observe that's from 2012. The refusal of the Commission to provide advice on petition of MEPs was a matter of weeks ago.

"MEP's" are not the same as "member states"

I would have thought that this was quite obvious. Otherwise, the 2 SNP MEP's would have been able to make a request.

"MEP's" are not the same as "member states"

I would have thought that this was quite obvious. Otherwise, the 2 SNP MEP's would have been able to make a request.

The justification for not providing a response to the request was because of a principle of non-interference in a member-state's domestic matters. The reason was not that it was MEPs making the request.

Please explain why the Commission would offer a different position if a member-state made the request.

When you have been "owned" by another poster the adult thing to do is accept graciously that you were wrong.

That stops people thinking you are a twat.

I wasn't "wrong". I said I didn't recall them saying that. That was a true statement. I then asked for evidence of them saying it. He then provided that evidence.

The justification for not providing a response to the request was because of a principle of non-interference in a member-state's domestic matters. The reason was not that it was MEPs making the request.

Please explain why the Commission would offer a different position if a member-state made the request.

Because in that situation, the member-state would have specifically have asked for an opinion on it's own domestic matter.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Commission would now refuse to give an answer, having previously offered to do so in 2012?

Agreed that it would be great, but imagine the pressure that would be put on Ireland to withdraw the question! It wouldn't be in the interests of any EU member with a credible Independence movement within their borders (UK, Spain, Italy, Belgium etc)

When are the SNP publishing their sourced legal advice on this issue?

The UK government have - when will the SG be following suit and giving the peoiple of Scotland the information they need to make an informed choice?

Otherwise, the 2 SNP MEP's would have been able to make a request.

Whereas in fact the SNP MEP celebrated the decision by the Commission not to release the advice they already have on this issue.

Typical SNP really - gleefully glad to keep the Scottish people in the dark, as long as it scores a political point and prevents any bad news coming out...

What a disgrace they are.

Ian Hudghton MEP, the party's president, last night said: "Clearly the Labour MEPs who keep hoping that EU institutions will take the side of the No campaign will be disappointed."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/schulz-blocks-advice-on-eu-membership.23625038

So the SNP MEP celebrates them not backing up the no campaign's ridiculous stance ? Shocker.

So the SNP MEP celebrates them not backing up the no campaign's ridiculous stance ? Shocker.

No. The SNP MEP is celebrating the EU refusing to give legal advice despite MEPs requesting it.

Archived