EU membership

invergowrie arab

If that was meant to be a critique of my earlier post can you explain it to me please?

That the extent of this "all politicians are crooks, liars and have agendas" seems to stop abruptly for rather a lot of people around an impenetrable cocoon with the letters "S" "N" and "P" emblazoned on it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, if they differ substantially from our current terms.

I think that would be the case.

Maybe YES have made a boob by not offering up a public vote in the White Paper on EU membership. The transition period of 18 months is going to be hectic enough mind....

Massive blow for the Nats :lol: No pound, no EU membership, shambles. :lol:

And if the EU completely slap this down?

Well, quite. But it's about credibility.

The SNP's credibility on EU membership is absolutely rock bottom. They've been forced to abandon their initial claims (about inheriting it directly). Their subsequent claims have been pissed on by a succession of EU politicians.

What are you going to say if the EU legal advice destroys the SNP's assertions?

We don't have to be full blown members of the EU. (in fact I'd prefer we weren't.)

We would readily be accepted as members of a European Free Trade Association - as Norway are. See here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway%E2%80%93European_Union_relations

That the extent of this "all politicians are crooks, liars and have agendas" seems to stop abruptly for rather a lot of people around an impenetrable cocoon with the letters "S" "N" and "P" emblazoned on it.

The clue is the in the word all, it is just a figment of your imagination that the SNP are in an impenetrable cocoon, at least as far as I am concerned.

The clue is the in the word all, it is just a figment of your imagination that the SNP are in an impenetrable cocoon, at least as far as I am concerned.

So, you'll be happy to take this opportunity to call Salmond and Sturgeon agenda-driven liars then?

Lots of uncertainty regarding this issue, lots of unanswered questions. Just like the currency really.

It's no wonder the people of this nation cannot wait to vote no :)

I can yes.

Thanks it seems a fairly non contentious issue.

Why then does Swinney say this morning that the only threat to our participation (sometimes he refers to membership of and sometimes as a part of) in the EU is the potential UK referendum.

We don't have to be full blown members of the EU. (in fact I'd prefer we weren't.)

We would readily be accepted as members of a European Free Trade Association - as Norway are. See here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway%E2%80%93European_Union_relations

We maybe accepted. Who knows. EFTA haven't accepted new members for a good while so no one can say if Scotland would be accepted.

The worrying thing isn't whether Scotland will be part of the EEA. What's most irksome is that The SNP say that EU or EFTA or Sterling-zone membership will be no bother and that's accepted by many when, in fact, Scotland has no control here.

I kind of prefer agenda driven manipulators/truth economists tbh, just like all other politicians to a greater or lesser degree.

Right. To what degree would you say the SNP are agenda driven manipulators?

Thanks it seems a fairly non contentious issue.

Why then does Swinney say this morning that the only threat to our participation (sometimes he refers to membership of and sometimes as a part of) in the EU is the potential UK referendum.

I don't know the answer to that, maybe if he had added the word credible after only it would have been more correct?

ETA - & significantly less than the Labour Party.

On what basis? Have you carried out a quantitative assessment of the Labour Party's lies as opposed to the SNP's lies?

Archived