C'mon England

heedthebaa

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right decision to take Shaw. Great talent and might as well give him tournament experience. We aren't going to win it so going for youth is the best idea.

Apparent squad:

Goalkeepers Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Midfielders Gerrard, Henderson, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Strikers Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

No surprises really, would have taken Cole over Shaw, Flanagan over Smalling and would have tried to find a place in the squad for Defoe myself.

Welbeck is shit

Disagree. Hit ten goals despite being pushed wide in a shite United side, has a very good international goalscoring record given he plays the left wing position and does a very good job of neutralising attacking threats while being one himself. Will be a key player in the summer.

It's a transition period for the team. Roy won't be able to say that in the build up to a tounament though. No manager would get away with admitting defeat before it's started, but it is indeed an opportunity for 'out with the old, in with the new'.

Carroll might be disappointed to be pipped by Lambert, but Lambert has had a much better season so that's fair.

I'd like to see if Ashley Cole sticks to his 'retirement' if there are injuries.

Apparent squad:

Goalkeepers Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Midfielders Gerrard, Henderson, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Strikers Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

No surprises really, would have taken Cole over Shaw, Flanagan over Smalling and would have tried to find a place in the squad for Defoe myself.

:lol:

I'm actually fairly indifferent to how England get on at the World Cup at the moment.

However, this will only last until the "British" Broadcasting Corporation's first minute of commentary. (probably not even on a game involving England)

where they will come out with the usual toxic blend of bad sportsmanship, borderline racism and sheer fucking failure to grasp that they are not the centre of the universe which has made the English National Team so widely loathed.

I'll be supporting England at the WC, nothing to do with the British/Scottish thread on the GN forum, more that I have so many friends and family that are English and will be wanting England to do well for them.

I can get the irritation in Scotland regarding the commentators and their bias, it is ridiculous at times especially when there is a game on that doesn't concern England at that moment.

To be fair that is not unusual, I have lived in Spain through Euro 96, WC 98, Euro 00, WC 02, WC 06, Euro 08 and Euro 12. I lived in Greece for Euro 04 and Holland for WC 10 and in all cases the bias shown to the home nation was even worse than you get from the BBC/ITV.

In Greece in 2004 they would interrupt matches to interview Greek players or show any news item from the training camp.

In Holland and Spain the commentary almost always at some point compared the teams playing to their own side and which team would be easier/harder opponents but there were no complaints because it was a broadcasting company for the people watching.

Listening to commentaries in some games in Holland and Spain you wouldn't always know who was playing because of the rambling on about their teams but again it wasn't a problem because the locals want to know about their side.

BBC/ITV have the problem that Scots/Welsh/N Irish are watching and this is why we get our own versions and I think that for most P&Bers it would probably be a good idea to watch it on BBC Scotland.

People in England seem very underwhelmed by it all right now, there seems to be zero expectations from the average fan although the squad has been fairly well received because there is a few young lads in it.

I was in Greece when they won the EC in 04, Spain when they won the EC in 08 and 12 and in Holland when they were runners up in 10 but don't panic, I expect England to get knocked out in the group stage, I think Uruguay and Italy will be too strong.

People in England seem very underwhelmed by it all right now, there seems to be zero expectations from the average fan although the squad has been fairly well received because there is a few young lads in it.

Indeed. But this is really bad news for the England haters up here, who like to pretend everyone down South is already booking tickets for the victory parade.

Archived