C'mon England

heedthebaa

I'll be in England for Q/F week. I won't be going daft either way, but I don't get the anti-England thing. I pay for Sky to watch the same players every other week, so why would I decide to hate them now?

I was in Spain with Scotland and was supporting Northern Ireland when they beat Spain. Guess what....the Spaniards around were raging and were at least verbally abusive. Which in hindsight they were entitled to. I would expect the same in England if I made a show of supporting their opponents.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be in England for Q/F week. I won't be going daft either way, but I don't get the anti-England thing. I pay for Sky to watch the same players every other week, so why would I decide to hate them now?

I was in Spain with Scotland and was supporting Northern Ireland when they beat Spain. Guess what....the Spaniards around were raging and were at least verbally abusive. Which in hindsight they were entitled to. I would expect the same in England if I made a show of supporting their opponents.

Did it get pwopah nawty? Did you have to 'av it away on your toes?

Did it get pwopah nawty? Did you have to 'av it away on your toes?

Armstrong scored and we instinctively cheered. Staff and customers were less pleasant after that and a bit hostile by the end. Undramatically we just moved a few doors down.

Armstrong scored and we instinctively cheered. Staff and customers were less pleasant after that and a bit hostile by the end. Undramatically we just moved a few doors down.

Still sounds like the most exciting ever episode of Danny's "Real Football Factories"

Really don't get why some Scots support England during the WC or Euros. You wouldn't support your clubs biggest rivals in a tournament, so why support your countries biggest rivals?

Really don't get why some Scots support England during the WC or Euros. You wouldn't support your clubs biggest rivals in a tournament, so why support your countries biggest rivals?

Are we really rivals these days? I just don't see England that way. I can't even work up a hatred for Dunfermline. I don't mind them doing well (England, not the Pars).

All that ABE stuff just isn't for me.

Are we really rivals these days? I just don't see England that way. I can't even work up a hatred for Dunfermline. I don't mind them doing well (England, not the Pars).

All that ABE stuff just isn't for me.

He's not complaining about people supporting anyone against them. He's complaining about any Scot actively supporting them at tournaments.

And he's right. It is weird.

He's not complaining about people supporting anyone against them. He's complaining about any Scot actively supporting them at tournaments.

Thanks for pointing that out. You are a great help to me.

It's not really weird. Scottish people support English people in other sports (e.g. cricket, athletics, etc.). So I don't find it particularly weird. I would have supported Wales or Northern Ireland if they were there.

The word 'support' doesn't mean I'll be buying an England flag and painting my face. It just passive support.

Back to the haters: I think they are the weirdos. All that ABE stuff is really childish. If you are out of school and you're still doing that, you probably want to have a word with yourself. It's fairly tragic behaviour.

As far as I'm aware Scotland has never had a rivalry with the England & Wales cricket teams or English athletics.

Football on the other hand, that's a different story

As far as I'm aware Scotland has never had a rivalry with the England & Wales cricket teams or English athletics.

Football on the other hand, that's a different story

Aye, football fans are bams. C'mon England!

I'm Scottish and will be supporting England at the world cup.

Anti-English sentiment in Scotland is exaggerated, IMO. I know many Scots who will be cheering on England at the world cup. I also know many Scots who couldn't really give a toss as to how England do, but I only know a small handful of people who actually hold this 'ABE' attitude.

The English media have taken a bit of a roasting on this thread. I think the media in England have actually been very realistic about England's chances at the world cup. I agree regarding Mark Lawro though: he is a tosser and his tears will be a small consolation when England inevitably bottle it in the quarter finals.

Looking forward to seeing what controversial decision or incident happens at this year's WC that see's England get dumped out.

Just to see them all absolutely seethe and foam at the mouth over it. Then show it on one of those "World Cup's Most Shocking Moments" and be ridiculously obvious at how bitter they still are over it

Would like to point out that I don't hate England or their fans, just their arrogance and overconfidence towards the World Cup

Looking forward to seeing what controversial decision or incident happens at this year's WC that see's England get dumped out.

Just to see them all absolutely seethe and foam at the mouth over it. Then show it on one of those "World Cup's Most Shocking Moments" and be ridiculously obvious at how bitter they still are over it

Would like to point out that I don't hate England or their fans, just their arrogance and overconfidence towards the World Cup

Fallacy.

Numerous pundits down England have predicted that they will get no further than the quarter finals -- which is a sentiment I agree with. There is nothing arrogant or overconfident about that.

England and Scotland have their fair share of tools when it comes to the alleged rivalry between us. From the time I spent in Manchester there's people, generally those who are absolute wasters, with a hatred of all things Scottish and unsurprisingly they haven't a clue why. However, you get the exact same up in Scotland.

Judging by the way you go on in the 3rd division forum, you seem exactly the type of person I'd expect not only not to 'support' England, but to basically live for their inevitable failure. Whether or not you are - people like that are to me completely pathetic. If Scotland were to get to the World Cup I'd be quite chuffed. I'd definitely not be absolutely raging at the thought of Scotland doing well, or brand the whole of Scotland idiots because Pat Nevin wrote a newspaper saying he thinks you could outperform expectations.

The sad reality of people like that is they're incapable of developing and holding their own views, and because they're that fucking thick they can't do so, they use other people's. Sadly, being that thick usually means you hang around the other dregs and they pick up their views, meaning they'll vote yes to independence based on the fact that Bravehart's a good movie and there'll be mair coin aboot the place ciz there'll be hunnaz of oil for us, ken?

It's not that weird. The first World Cup I can remember properly was 1994, and pretty much everyone was supporting Ireland.

I can't actually bring myself to support any of the other home nations. With Wales and NI it's probably a subconscious desire to be able to say "Oh well at least we're still better than them". With ROI I just don't feel any affinity with them.

Most pundits and fans have been saying 'no further than the quarter finals' for a very long time. Maybe since the Japan/South Korea World Cup.

Most pundits and fans have been saying 'no further than the quarter finals' for a very long time. Maybe since the Japan/South Korea World Cup.

I'd say the last Euros is the first major tournament I can remember, where the media haven't hyped them up as potential winners.

I'd say the last Euros is the first major tournament I can remember, where the media haven't hyped them up as potential winners.

I suppose some in the media probably thought it was their job to remain optimistic. Then again, its not crazy for some to have the opinion that a squad which includes champions league winners and players from some of the best teams in the world that with a bit of luck, maybe, just maybe, England could win a tournament. Its unlikely, but not impossible.

That said, most England fans have been pessimistic about tournaments for a long time and the general consensus has been a quarter final would be acceptable rather than a failure. I'm of that opinion also as there's far better teams out there than England. I've been involved in many discussions and read a lot of comments about Englands chances going into tournaments and its always negative in terms of winning the competition.

Fallacy.

Numerous pundits down England have predicted that they will get no further than the quarter finals -- which is a sentiment I agree with. There is nothing arrogant or overconfident about that.

Ssssshhh.

That's the default excuse used to deploy the bitter, back-seat, wee-man attitude! You can't f**k that up for the sake of the truth. They get angry.

Archived