C'mon England

heedthebaa

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, why should England get more coverage than Scotland on the BBC because they are a bigger country?

The answer is rather obvious but its because the country has a much larger population and a much larger percentage of License Fee payers.

There's a channel called BBC Scotland, though. :)

Why BBC Scotland and STV opt for English partisan commentary during football matches instead of providing a Scottish perspective is not the fault of the English.

Do you live in the real world?

I do, it was hilarious listening to Lee Dixon at the 2010 WC telling us only 1 or 2 of the Germany squad was good enough to get into the England team

Their is a difference between praising your players and your team and being arrogant arseholes, though.

ETA: The fact we are also forced to watch the 'British' coverage of it as part of this incredible Union we are currently in doesnt help...

I wish we werent so shite, would be good to see what sort of coverage the beeb and ITV would give ourselves if we qualified.

Who is forcing you to do anything? If you're that bothered turn the sound down, find a live stream on the internet with different commentary, or just don't watch.

Has there been a Scotland world cup game, finals or qualifier, not live on telly in this generation?

Nah, its more of a general concensus which is why people have a dislike for the English over the continent. And I have never ever heard any Scottish commentator being an arrogant arsehole when watching us.

...and the are never condescending to "minnows" like San Marino or the Faroes.

This is in your head!

Who is forcing you to do anything? If you're that bothered turn the sound down, find a live stream on the internet with different commentary, or just don't watch. Has there been a Scotland world cup game, finals or qualifier, not live on telly in this generation?

Exactly, I remember during World Cup 98, BBC Scotland subjected us to night after night of McCoist and McAulay.

I'd rather listen to Lee Dixon talk shite.

:lol:

I'm not old enough to remember France 98 on the tele. My point to Maxsta was that if Scotland were in it the main Beeb/ITV should be giving as much coverage (not just of the game) to us as they do England. Roll on the 1st game eh...! :lol:

Nah, its more of a general concensus which is why people have a dislike for the English over the continent. And I have never ever heard any Scottish commentator being an arrogant arsehole when watching us.

I know they are the majority, but because 55 million of the 65 million BBC viewers are English they should get more coverage than what the other countries get? If we are all part of this United Kingdom surely it should be shared out no? Living in Scotland surely the BBC would have to provide us with as much coverage as possible like they do with England? Why should we get less because we are a smaller country? I know it happens in everything else, ya know Scots/Welsh and Norn Irn getting shafted by England because we are the minority, but still if we were to qualify id want exactly the same amount of TV coverage as the English.

Hope yous get fucking pumped! :thumsup2

I haven't noticed this huge 'dislike' for the English over the continent tbh. It's a myth arrogant little Scotlanders like you love to push to disassociate yourself with people. Bitter and desperate to separate people into groups.

Personally, if someone was so narrow minded to dislike people purely because of their nationality I couldn't give a flying f**k what the bigoted xenophobic arsehole thought anyway.

Litchie, just watch the World Cup without desperately looking for reasons to hate things and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more. :)

The most stupid/sad/pathetice/cringe on this thread is to support ABE. I did it back when I was a daft wee cockmuncher, but then I found a girlfriend and everything changed.

I'm cringing for my foolish actions of my formative years. I beg your forgiveness.

Deky, you're forgiven. Try not to do it again. All that cringing can't be good for you.

I haven't noticed this huge 'dislike' for the English over the continent tbh. It's a myth arrogant little Scotlanders like you love to push to disassociate yourself with people. Bitter and desperate to separate people into groups.

Personally, if someone was so narrow minded to dislike people purely because of their nationality I couldn't give a flying f**k what the bigoted xenophobic arsehole thought anyway.

Litchie, just watch the World Cup without desperately looking for reasons to hate things and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more. :)

When I was in France for the '98 World Cup, we were just leaving St Etienne after the humping by Morrocco, and the locals did appear to be a bit apprehensive, as Argentina v England was next up. At the time some of the England fans did like chucking patio furniture about, so I suppose that was understandable.

When I was in France for the '98 World Cup, we were just leaving St Etienne after the humping by Morrocco, and the locals did appear to be a bit apprehensive, as Argentina v England was next up. At the time some of the England fans did like chucking patio furniture about, so I suppose that was understandable.

Oh aye. It was similar when I was in Portugal for Euro 04. I think most people can separate football hooligans from your normal general public of a nation though. I wouldn't say there's a noticeable dislike for the English anywhere I've traveled.

Maybe they think I'm Scottish from my accent though! ;)

Oh aye. It was similar when I was in Portugal for Euro 04. I think most people can separate football hooligans from your normal general public of a nation though. I wouldn't say there's a noticeable dislike for the English anywhere I've traveled.

Maybe they think I'm Scottish from my accent though! ;)

I wouldn't say there is a dislike for English people either, but the hooligan element following England probably weren't particularly welcome. Business owners who were in danger of getting their stuff smashed up were probably shiteing themselves. Patio furniture salesmen welcomed the hooligans arrival. Swings and roundabouts.

Yes, why should England get more coverage than Scotland on the BBC because they are a bigger country?

Impressive you essentially answered your own question before you asked it. It's proportionate to the viewers. Why wouldn't it be?

I do, it was hilarious listening to Lee Dixon at the 2010 WC telling us only 1 or 2 of the Germany squad was good enough to get into the England team

Lee Dixon is a w**k and i don't agree with those comments, is their a point here other than you found it funny?

:lol:

I'm not old enough to remember France 98 on the tele. My point to Maxsta was that if Scotland were in it the main Beeb/ITV should be giving as much coverage (not just of the game) to us as they do England. Roll on the 1st game eh...! :lol:

Your point is wrong though, they shouldn't. Life's a bitch though.

The only place i've noticed this huge dislike is Scotland, funnily enough.

Lee Dixon is a w**k and i don't agree with those comments, is their a point here other than you found it funny?

His comments at the time summed up the mentality English pundits had, you generally believe they don't think a player had proved himself unless he played in the EPL

I think that's slowly changing now though, I've yet to hear the "England expect" or bang on about how they are one of the favourite for the WC despite historically having a very average record in it.

His comments at the time summed up the mentality English pundits had, you generally believe they don't think a player had proved himself unless he played in the EPL

I think that's slowly changing now though, I've yet to hear the "England expect" or bang on about how they are one of the favourite for the WC despite historically having a very average record in it.

Summed up what mentality? Over hyping your own team tends to happen, as i've said i'm sure Italian commentators would say similar about their own players and leagues to their Italian audience.

I think that due to the EPL's success the English national team should have done a lot better, i get the impression that's where a lot of the usual expectancy comes from.

Their is one English commentator i loath and he's the most arrogant c**t going, i think he does the ITV, maybe even fifa commentary. "Those Portugeese are known for being dodgy/sneaky/dirty players, unlike our proud English ethical warriors" type patter.

Your point is wrong though, they shouldn't. Life's a bitch though.

I may be wrong as it was a long time ago, but were they not with the Scotland camp as much as they were the England camp during the group stages of France 98? My memory of it doesn't extend much beyond Jimmy Hill wearing a St Andrews bow tie though.

Archived