What have they done to Hampden?

Ledd

It's a new roof all the way around. They redeveloped it in 2 stages... first they resurfaced and seated the North and East stands (the North enclosure had been demolished by this point) with facilities behind and roof on top. This meant all 4 sides were covered.

Then in the 2nd stage they did the same to the West stand, and completely rebuilt the South stand.

Here it is before work began:

1078527.jpg

Here it is after the 1st stage:

TGSE00321.jpg

And finally here it is today after the 2nd stage:

Hampden_Park%201.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those interested, some more shots of its evolution:

Original South Stand, apparently this was first 2 seperate stands known as "the buck teeth" then they built the pavilion between:

hampden1908.jpg

Original layout, rebuilt South Stand with small castle-like pressbox:

_61079555_hampden.jpg

North Enclosure and East upper terrace added, South Stand press box extended (not all at same time) to give the Hampden of its heyday:

article-2390912-1B44752A000005DC-45_964x

article-0-18739C17000005DC-133_964x410.j

West end roofed:

preview_picture2.jpg

It's a new roof all the way around. They redeveloped it in 2 stages... first they resurfaced and seated the North and East stands (the North enclosure had been demolished by this point) with facilities behind and roof on top. This meant all 4 sides were covered.

Then in the 2nd stage they did the same to the West stand, and completely rebuilt the South stand.

Here it is before work began:

1078527.jpg

Here it is after the 1st stage:

TGSE00321.jpg

And finally here it is today after the 2nd stage:

Hampden_Park%201.jpg

I recall the half finished Hampden in use for Euro96 qualifiers, but on closer inspection, what was the situation wuth floodlights??? I know they were obviously taken down, but in the current build they are on the roof all the way round the ground. With the ancient stand and cover over the Rangers end obviously not having any, i'm wondering when the pylons were removed as surely that only the ones on the North and East will have been installed??

Hopefully whenever we need a next generation stadium (10-15 years down the line maybe), they'll do a custom build somewhere central, Stirling or the like.

Why would they build a new stadium in 10/15 years, and why on earth would they build it somewhere as inaccessible as Stirling? Absolute nonsense.

Why would they build a new stadium in 10/15 years, and why on earth would they build it somewhere as inaccessible as Stirling? Absolute nonsense.

Really? I think you need a lie down.

When Hampden needs a 'nextgen' revamp - whether that's 10-15 years away or more or less or whatever - one option would be to go to a new site (the last revamp cost an f'ing fortune - rumoured to be way more than a greenfield purpose built stadium would have cost).

Stirling/central area = motorway & train access and central to fans from all over Scotland. IIRC somewhere in that region was mooted as an alternative to Hampden prior to the 1995 redevelopment. I don't have a hardon for Stirling in particular, but somewhere with motorway and public transport links and not jammed into the suburbs on the south side of Glasgow with crap public transport access seems like a sensible suggestion to me.

You make it sound as though Glasgow is in the middle of nowhere that's people struggle to travel to.

It's not, the opposite in fact.

As for it's location in the south side, it's really not that far, less than an hour to walk it from the city centre

For some people I don't believe the problem is Hampden being in Glasgow, I think they just have a problem with Glasgow.

You make it sound as though Glasgow is in the middle of nowhere that's people struggle to travel to.

It's not, the opposite in fact.

As for it's location in the south side, it's really not that far, less than an hour to walk it from the city centre

For some people I don't believe the problem is Hampden being in Glasgow, I think they just have a problem with Glasgow.

I'm from Glasgow, so I certainly don't have a problem with it. I'm just tired of the daft queues in central before and at Mount Florida after games. 'just an hour's walk' isn't really selling it* when you see other modern stadiums with purpose built rail/underground links (The Allianz Arena is excellent in this respect).

If you could rebuild Hampden with pitch-side seating and magic up a better transport route to the ground I'd say stay. It sounds like we can't do either, so I say, when Hampden is in need of an expensive revamp in future - move to a better site.

*And I'm not some chip-munching fatty who's scared of walking, before you suggest it

I wouldn't want a stadium anywhere near Stirling and that's a good 30 minutes closer for me travelling. Glasgow is perfect, plenty of pubs and let's face it although the transport doesn't go straight to the ground it is good enough..... Me and my mate had forgotten the time on a Saturday kick off, seen it was 2.30, got a taxi from the centre to Pollockshaws road and walked from there and still made it in time for the anthems. Easy thing to do is just get down and in around the Queens Park area early doors.

I wouldn't want a stadium anywhere near Stirling and that's a good 30 minutes closer for me travelling. Glasgow is perfect, plenty of pubs and let's face it although the transport doesn't go straight to the ground it is good enough..... Me and my mate had forgotten the time on a Saturday kick off, seen it was 2.30, got a taxi from the centre to Pollockshaws road and walked from there and still made it in time for the anthems. Easy thing to do is just get down and in around the Queens Park area early doors.

Stirling was just a suggestion as it ticks the 'central' box.

What have you got against Stirling tho?

There's nothing there? :lol:do you think Stirling has the capability of hosting 50,000 people on matchday?

No. Why would 50,000 people go into Stirling on a matchday? I'm not for a minute suggesting building a stadium actually 'in' Stirling.

Out of town, dedicated rail link and motorway access, Concourse/village bit outside for grub and drinks. Sorted.

No. Why would 50,000 people go into Stirling on a matchday? I'm not for a minute suggesting building a stadium actually 'in' Stirling.

Out of town, dedicated rail link and motorway access, Concourse/village bit outside for grub and drinks. Sorted.

So every single person attending would be commuting? So just how many pubs/eateries would you suggest? Seriously how shit would it be having a national stadium in the middle of nowhere with a couple of big sheds thrown up so that people could have a pint?

What's actually wrong with Glasgow? Mount Florida is about 10 minutes away, you can get a taxi from the centre aswell which takes about 10 minutes, you could walk which takes about 45, get a bus, anything? Like what's wrong with it being in Glasgow? :lol:

I've been many times on the train which is easy enough and by bus which is a doddle too, the only thing I want to see change is an upgrade to the actual stadium, the transport links don't drop you off right at the ground but it's hardly hard to get to? :lol:

So every single person attending would be commuting? So just how many pubs/eateries would you suggest? Seriously how shit would it be having a national stadium in the middle of nowhere with a couple of big sheds thrown up so that people could have a pint?

What's actually wrong with Glasgow? Mount Florida is about 10 minutes away, you can get a taxi from the centre aswell which takes about 10 minutes, you could walk which takes about 45, get a bus, anything? Like what's wrong with it being in Glasgow? :lol:

I've been many times on the train which is easy enough and by bus which is a doddle too, the only thing I want to see change is an upgrade to the actual stadium, the transport links don't drop you off right at the ground but it's hardly hard to get to? :lol:

Not hard to get to? Fans from up north might disagree.

What's wrong with a central stadium? Folk from Glasgow can get pished in Glasgow then take a 30 min train trip to the game in whatever central location, ditto those from most of the other towns and cities.

You've already stated you'd like a proper stadium, you ain't going to get that on the current site

Not hard to get to? Fans from up north might disagree.

What's wrong with a central stadium? Folk from Glasgow can get pished in Glasgow then take a 30 min train trip to the game in whatever central location, ditto those from most of the other towns and cities.

You've already stated you'd like a proper stadium, you ain't going to get that on the current site

If you're going to be traveling from "up north" I highly doubt an extra 45 mins on the bus or train will make much of a difference, I do highly doubt Stirling has the infrastructure in place for a national stadium.

Or would you want to move the stadium solely on the basis it will be about 45mins quicker for people traveling "up north" (never mind the people traveling from the south of Scotland of course)

If you're going to be traveling from "up north" I highly doubt an extra 45 mins on the bus or train will make much of a difference, I do highly doubt Stirling has the infrastructure in place for a national stadium.

Or would you want to move the stadium solely on the basis it will be about 45mins quicker for people traveling "up north" (never mind the people traveling from the south of Scotland of course)

45 mins between Stirling and hampden on a match day? On what, a harrier jump jet?

45 mins between Stirling and hampden on a match day? On what, a harrier jump jet?

So that is your entire argument for wanting to move the stadium from Glasgow to Stirling. because it's 45 minutes closer for the fans "up north"

No other reason?

Archived