What have they done to Hampden?

Ledd

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's discussed earlier in the thread, but supposedly there's a stream or culvert or something under the current level.Also you'd worsen existing views from the back of the ends.

IMO, the only option at Hampden could well be rebuilding the ends, South Stand-style and 'square',

I think it's discussed earlier in the thread, but supposedly there's a stream or culvert or something under the current level.Also you'd worsen existing views from the back of the ends.

IMO, the only option at Hampden could well be rebuilding the ends, South Stand-style and 'square',

That is affirmative. I believe the pitch, in its pre-tear up condition, was raised around 3 feet as part of the 92-93 reconstruction phase, with basically better quality soil giving it more strength. Bear in mind the actual bowl, from the outside, looks ground level, but the pitch still does not. Even recreating South Stand& enclosure-esque behind goal ends, would still leave the North enclosure looking a tad pathetic at half the size.

Moll's Mire runs underneath Hampden, from approximately where the West tunnel is to close to where the East Stand meets the North stand. Not sure how deep under the pitch it is. As part of the 1999 redevelopment I think they also built water storage tanks underneath the pitch where rainwater is stored to water the pitch, they would have to be moved as well.

Rebuilding the two ends would be a great idea, but the issue, along with all the other plans like Stirling, is simply who is going to pay for it? It took Queen's Park over 30 years to get the funding together for the 1999 redevelopment, and if it hadn't been for the National Lottery we'd probably still be waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

How about dropping the Hampden pitch twenty feet and adding six more rows to the bottom- might get another 5000 or so seats just from that.

They could always just take all the seats out on 3 sides. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Those fuckers better get those seats back pronto. No one gives a flying f**k about the shite olympics. Did they ask the public if it was OK to start wrecking our stadiums?

As usual the sheep public just accept everything

You should have let us all know about the protests you were arranging. They weren't particularly well publicised.

:(

Well I have to say, Hampden looks great as an athletics stadium.

e65p3.jpg

Looking at that picture was there any need to raise the level at all. The track looks well away from the front row and it does show how far away the fans are from the action behind the goals.

Looking at that picture was there any need to raise the level at all. The track looks well away from the front row and it does show how far away the fans are from the action behind the goals.

If you look the corners of the 100m straight are almost in the mouths of the access tunnels, if they hadn't raised it then it wouldn't have fitted?

Wasn't always, I remember a certain game against St Johnstone of all people drawing over 15000.

But now yes it is far too big.

I know I was there, it must be as sole destroying for your fans as ours running around with half the stadium or more empty each week.

Archived