Our future leaders in the UK

Seriously haven't you got anything better to do with your life than troll?

Surely there is something constructive you can do with your spare time?

I'm not trying to be patronising.

I'm genuinely trying to understand where this ceaseless, childish, attention seeking nonsense is coming from.

You are aware that you are talking to people on this board who probably have children older than you are?

If you were my kid I'd be ashamed of you and I'd leave you in no doubt about that.

Grown up adults generally don't behave like this.

I just find it slightly off-putting that the above poster finds being British so reprehensible that he resorted to having a pop at Scottish Labour's most prominent ethnic minority member, that's all.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just find it slightly off-putting that the above poster finds being British so reprehensible that he resorted to having a pop at Scottish Labour's most prominent ethnic minority member, that's all.

Wait, are you actually serious?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and go ahead and be under the impression you've become addicted to trolling.

If you are serious, you need medical assistance.

Anyone with political ambition should be immediately disbarred from holding office.

Chunts, the lot of them.

Power to the people.

I've never understood this philosophy. I've heard my dad and father in law say it regularly but I don't buy it. Everyone I know who works in politics at any level or has a desire to, does so because they want to change things for the better.

I doubt many people decide they want to be a politician because they crave power, rather they want to do good.

When I was younger I flirted with the idea of becoming a politician because the poverty in this country angered me. I ended up going down the third sector route, but the reason I'm on my current career path is the same reason I considered politics and the same reason countless others work for political parties and groups.

Michael Gove higher than George Osborne?

I'm also surprised that Caroline Spelman is higher than a few more likely candidates, and that Jeremy Hunt isn't on the list. Would certainly have him higher than Alan Johnson.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I have a horrible feeling that Jeremy Hunt will be PM one day.

George Osborne has all the charisma of a slug. Even the Tory grandees would surely think twice about George Osborne as leader.

I can see Theresa May appealing to the 'Thatcher' vote since the Tory party is bound to go further to the right when Cameron is out of the way.

George Osborne has all the charisma of a slug. Even the Tory grandees would surely think twice about George Osborne as leader.

I can see Theresa May appealing to the 'Thatcher' vote since the Tory party is bound to go further to the right when Cameron is out of the way.

Personally I would rather Gove be PM than Osborne, but equally I'd rather either of them by Prime Minister than Cameron.

My surprise comes due to the loyalty Gove has for Osborne. I've always considered Gove to be Osborne's biggest cheerleader and could imagine him doing the 'dirty work' when Cameron steps down to get George Osborne as Tory leader over Boris Johnson. Michael Gove turns a lot of people off, and whilst (as far as Tories go at least) I actually quite like him (I hesitate to add, as a person rather than his politics), I think I'm in a very small minority. If Osborne can stop his lip-curling and could somehow escape the public school boy sneer image he has cultivated, I think he might be more 'acceptable' than Michael Gove.

Osbourne is actually a fairly smooth operator. I feared a complete disaster when he became chancellor, but he hasn't actually been too bad.

I've seen suggestions about him as a future Conservative Party leader after the budget was generally well received, but I can't see it at all. He's not charismatic and he's got one of those faces that everyone wants to hit. He could stand up and speak the biggest lot of sense in the world, but it still wouldn't make him any more endearing.

Gove is the more likely of the two, I reckon. He's disadvantaged by his education policies being unpopular in many quarters, but he does sometimes come across well otherwise. Even then, I'm not sure I see him as a leader.

I've never understood this philosophy. I've heard my dad and father in law say it regularly but I don't buy it. Everyone I know who works in politics at any level or has a desire to, does so because they want to change things for the better.

I doubt many people decide they want to be a politician because they crave power, rather they want to do good.

When I was younger I flirted with the idea of becoming a politician because the poverty in this country angered me. I ended up going down the third sector route, but the reason I'm on my current career path is the same reason I considered politics and the same reason countless others work for political parties and groups.

Wanting to be a politician because you "want to make a difference" or "care about a certain section in society". Does not make you a good leader. What we need are problem solvers, and people who have a deep understanding about the underlying causes of these problems. People who know their history when it came to implementing certain policies. If you don't fit any of the criteria I just mentioned then your policies nearly always end up doing the exact opposite of what you intend them to do.

Archived