The Alloa Athletic Thread

6 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

If they are not good enough for 1 league 1  side they really are not what we should be looking for if we have any plans to make the playoffs at least,

we have had good loans in the past  can't see how we can't get a good loan in this season who can do a job  . 

Fair enough however Doyle and Miko weren't good enough for us and Rice signed both of them Stanger as well.  obviously Doyle is away now after his loan. Expect the sort of players who might leave to be Zannata or Lewis Smith (hope Lewis stays though) potentially guys like Marley Redfren,Fergus Owens and Jamie Hamilton (who hasn't played in over a year due to injury and fitness issues might also leave. 

13 hours ago, printer said:

Interesting that St Mirren have put Offord out to League One again, rather than a Championship side. 

By all accounts someone at the club inquired about Offord early last month but appeared St Mirren wanted to loan him out to a Championship team. 

54 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Zanatta was randomly in the crowd at our friendly against Livingston in pre season but pretty sure its because he's a mate of Jamie Brandon who plays for Livi. 

He's one who did well for us in the past on loan.

I'd take Dario and play him through the middle.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Zanatta was randomly in the crowd at our friendly against Livingston in pre season but pretty sure its because he's a mate of Jamie Brandon who plays for Livi. 

He's one who did well for us in the past on loan.

Yeah he's just not done well with us attitude and effort is shocking 

37 minutes ago, Rory said:

What happened to Ogayi? Not often you see a keeper subbed off, guessing an injury?

Yeah went down injured - don't think he fancied it myself to be honest though 🤣

8 hours ago, pencils said:

Yeah went down injured - don't think he fancied it myself to be honest though 🤣

Was an interesting performance from Ogayi! There was mention on the stream today of relative standard of his previous club to Alloa. Due to a (niche I know) interest in football in the former East Germany I actually watch a fair bit of fourth tier German football in the area Tasmania Berlin play - the league is one of five regional leagues in the German fourth tier. The top teams get decent crowds and some were big names in East Germany. There is a big drop off towards the bottom of the league. But Tasmania were relegated (in some style) from that league a couple of years ago and play in another regional league at the fifth tier which is effectively amateur. Well below Scottish League One level. Tasmania finished lower half last season and from what I can see Ogayi played 1 game for them (in October). Bold call indeed to start him today. Ideally I'd hope he gets a bit more practice in our bounce games before we see him again in the first team. 

Terrific result in Dumfries and big improvement on League Cup. QoS were a mess but Alloa still had to take advantage of that. Virtanan and Roberts did well in the midfield and there was a better shape about the team with Scougall involved and linking play well in the first half in particular. The rather chaotic and wide open nature of that half suited Rodden and he took his goals very well. Needs to maintain that but a great start for him and surely big confidence boost after almost a year without scoring. 

Defence needs to tighten up but was great to see Taggs come back in (and on the right flank). Ideally think we'd be better at the moment with a back four with Neil and Devine in the middle. 

Perhaps most encouraging of all was the way the team worked so hard and were clearly all pulling together. A perfect response to the listless and disjointed performances in the League Cup. A lot to work on still but far more positive. 

Edited by Waspie

7 hours ago, Waspie said:

Was an interesting performance from Ogayi! There was mention on the stream today of relative standard of his previous club to Alloa. Due to a (niche I know) interest in football in the former East Germany I actually watch a fair bit of fourth tier German football in the area Tasmania Berlin play - the league is one of five regional leagues in the German fourth tier. The top teams get decent crowds and some were big names in East Germany. There is a big drop off towards the bottom of the league. But Tasmania were relegated (in some style) from that league a couple of years ago and play in another regional league at the fifth tier which is effectively amateur. Well below Scottish League One level. Tasmania finished lower half last season and from what I can see Ogayi played 1 game for them (in October). Bold call indeed to start him today. Ideally I'd hope he gets a bit more practice in our bounce games before we see him again in the first team. 

Very interesting and insightful. Thanks! Much more insightful than me trying to work my way around it on the stream. 

I like Ogayi and certainly enjoy watching his unorthodox style. I think with more coaching here, he'll only get better. His build and athletism is certainly a bonus. PJ is still the number one for me and I'd bring him back against the Binos. Totally agreed with the manager taking him out the limelight for a week though.

A really good and surprising result on Saturday, especially given our League Cup performances. Can't have been easy to lift the team after a 6-0 defeat to Ayr the previous week.

Good to see Sammon and Rodden getting three of the four goals, although we definitely still need a fast mobile striker in on loan.

The defence/keeper situation is probably more of a worry and shipping 16 goals in the last five games is really poor. Hopefully we can get a more settled defence over the next few weeks, even if it means playing Taggart in the middle.

Still good start to the season and need to build on that against Stirling on Saturday.

Not long now, anyone else getting excited for the Stirling Albion game on Saturday? 
Missed this league derby game for too long, although I can’t say it was terrible watching them doing so badly in recent years 😂

All set for the Wasps nest podcast on Saturday morning, few beers in the black and gold, cracking game and sending them home wishing they were back in league 2 🤞

@Francesc Fabregas doing the commentary on Saturday the first mention or anecdote we spoke about which wasn't on the highlights  - the terrace podcast a la Rodden is just crowdsourced pieandbovril, so you've no idea what you're talking about and that set up the running gag that continued through the commentary.

You've almost forgotten Ogayi played against Celtic B and Stenhousemuir - there was one sensational leap to save in the bottom corner against Stenny if I remember correctly. Also don't remember if it made the highlights but one of the driven corners he picked it out the air like the ball was standing still. There's a raw talent and athleticism to Ogayi.

Again not in the QoS highlights but Ogayi came for a routine cross in the first half and after landing started feeling his calf. The cross that he kicked away I think he was feeling it and couldn't manoeuvre comfortably. Still absolutely did his job by giving the ball a boot on the way past. At that point he went off injured.

Having watched Neil Parry make his fair share of clangers in goal I'm already looking at Ogayi as Parry that can jump. It's certainly enthusiastic backup for Morrison rather than bringing on a kid. 

Edited by LeodhasXD