The Alloa Athletic Thread

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rory said:

Would like us to have a friendly against Sauchie Juniors but don't think it'd happen.

Well given the Stirlingshire Cup is back why not start a campaign for the return of the Clackmannanshire Charity Cup? Last played for in 1895/96. Only two senior clubs in the Wee County so a nice easy one off match against Sauchie every summer? Maybe the cup is in a cupboard somewhere at the Recs? 😁

Current roll of honour :

Alloa 5

Clackmannan 3

Alva 1

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Well given the Stirlingshire Cup is back why not start a campaign for the return of the Clackmannanshire Charity Cup? Last played for in 1895/96. Only two senior clubs in the Wee County so a nice easy one off match against Sauchie every summer? Maybe the cup is in a cupboard somewhere at the Recs? 😁

Current roll of honour :

Alloa 5

Clackmannan 3

Alva 1

that would have been Alva albion if i am not mistaken

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

that would have been Alva albion if i am not mistaken

It was a senior cup Vegetableman and from memory (I'd need to check the records) this Alva club was a senior one which preceded Alva Albion Rangers. There was a Clackmannanshire Charity Cup at junior level too which Alva Albion won on a load of occasions. There was actually a Clackmannanshire Junior League early in the 20th century which is hard to believe from a modern day viewpoint.

At senior level it was different with just Clackmannan doing their best to soldier on with Alloa in the early decades of the 20th century before calling time on it in 1931 and starting again in the juniors. That left Alloa as the only senior team for a long time, until Sauchie moved to the East of Scotland League in 2018 (with a whole load of other former junior clubs). 
Edited by Waspie

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It was a senior cup Vegetableman and from memory (I'd need to check the records) this Alva club was a senior one which preceded Alva Albion Rangers. There was a Clackmannanshire Charity Cup at junior level too which Alva Albion won on a load of occasions. There was actually a Clackmannanshire Junior League early in the 20th century which is hard to believe from a modern day viewpoint.

At senior level it was different with just Clackmannan doing their best to soldier on with Alloa in the early decades of the 20th century before calling time on it in 1931 and starting again in the juniors. That left Alloa as the only senior team for a long time, until Sauchie moved to the East of Scotland League in 2018 (with a whole load of other former junior clubs). 

thanks for that , i was not so long ago before the new Alva academy was built that the ground of Alva albion still kind of  existed ,~according to my memory there were remnants of the perimiter with posts and the remnants of a dugout still in place  still used as a playing field now but plastic ?  in place .

would love to see reports or results between Alva and Alloa   maybe john glencross will know .

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR3o9fN7Y7ChXNvYpXhNFpcrot5GZVSCyO7N85C51m5apQbWmmcz2XnAwnI#zoom=16.8&lat=56.15048&lon=-3.79544&layers=193&right=BingSat

Edited by Vegetableman

9 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

thanks for that , i was not so long ago before the new Alva academy was built that the ground of Alva albion still kind of  existed ,~according to my memory there were remnants of the perimiter with posts and the remnants of a dugout still in place  still used as a playing field now but plastic ?  in place .

would love to see reports or results between Alva and Alloa   maybe john glencross will know .

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR3o9fN7Y7ChXNvYpXhNFpcrot5GZVSCyO7N85C51m5apQbWmmcz2XnAwnI#zoom=16.8&lat=56.15048&lon=-3.79544&layers=193&right=BingSat

That's a great map. 

There is a video on YouTube, would this be the right place? 

Didn't have to dig too far in the end @Vegetablemanas David Allan's excellent wee book about Clackmannan FC has some good stuff on the Clackmannanshire Charity Cup. There were 15 senior clubs in the inaugural tournament in 1887/88 (including newly formed Alva FC and Alva Athletic) and a  "handsome trophy" was purchased. By 1889/90 there were only four senior sides left: Alloa, Clackmannan, Alva and Tillicoultry.

Alva's success came in 1893 when they beat the Wasps 5-0 in the final at the Recs (which wasn't Alloa's home at that point). Alva's last match was the 1895 final where Alloa beat them 2-1 at Chapelhill in Clackmannan. The book reports that their Glebe Park home was subsequently taken over by the new junior side Alva Albion Rangers, who would go on to dominate the local junior scene. 

The book also mentions older Alva sides called Vale of Devon and Alva Ochil Rangers - and that rugby had been the local sport of choice until 1883 when the players had changed to football under the banner of Alva Ochil Rangers. 

With only Alloa and Clackmannan left at senior level the trophy was handed over to the junior Clackmannanshire Charity Cup. Seems that the last winners were Coalsnaughton Utd in 1913. So we just need to get the trophy back from them and sort out an annual fixture against Sauchie..... 

impressive stuff , glebe park now housing (for a long time ) thats crazy , seems like another world away all this stuff 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR3o9fN7Y7ChXNvYpXhNFpcrot5GZVSCyO7N85C51m5apQbWmmcz2XnAwnI#zoom=16.8&lat=56.15396&lon=-3.79331&layers=175&right=BingSat

On 29/05/2024 at 09:54, BigMartyn86 said:

I assume that we will be getting new strips next season as we have had the current ones for a couple of years now? No doubt it will be Pendle again. It would be nice if we could mix it up a bit and go with a different supplier. You see clubs our size having kits made by a lot better suppliers than Pendle. Think I even read that Stranraer are having kits made by Mizuno next season. 

On the player contracts front I was surprised by both Cammy and LD getting contracts. There is rumours of us running with a smaller squad next year but we have injury prone players in the squad like LD, Hetherington and Scougall. Who most people would be expecting to be starting most weeks. Add in the ages of Cawley and Sammon who will more than likely be squad players with little starts then I think we still need to get some players in if we want to compete at the top end of the league again. 

All the best to Robbo who has been great for us over the years, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up with the contingent of ex Alloa players at Stenny. 

new away shirt from what i've heard

no point spending money on new kits when that money can be spent somehwere else in a part time side

On 29/05/2024 at 17:28, Rory said:

https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/24350963.morgyn-neill-aims-put-things-right-playoff-sending-off/?ref=socialflow&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0P6Tynf44Pj0EPYpC1Qd4VSTUZt8gvEO3drpnbg3QcnM27cJuiif0wvsg_aem_AcikQzMnrgVSQapkmxJKLEY2pUJ4Aa3iFXzYCa0R1NV4c7g9wFYItPA6rW6l31eBPhAtWvWptWL44WikFuLU-ZYZ

Decent to hear his point of view. He'd been lucky up till then to avoid bookings for shouting at officials, hopefully the sending off will make him stop it.

Will he be banned for the Premier Cup game or will it be the first league game?

think he's suspended from the league cup 

i think andy graham missed the first game of the league cup a few years ago after he was sent off on md36 and we didn't have playoffs

On 29/05/2024 at 09:54, BigMartyn86 said:

I assume that we will be getting new strips next season as we have had the current ones for a couple of years now? No doubt it will be Pendle again. It would be nice if we could mix it up a bit and go with a different supplier. You see clubs our size having kits made by a lot better suppliers than Pendle. Think I even read that Stranraer are having kits made by Mizuno next season. 

I'd like us to get rid of Pendle. The kits are dull and minus our current home top are all just recoloured templates.

Other clubs in our leagues offer decent looking leisure wear 

Also their hats are terribly sized,  especially the bobble hat

3 hours ago, Rory said:

I'd like us to get rid of Pendle. The kits are dull and minus our current home top are all just recoloured templates.

Other clubs in our leagues offer decent looking leisure wear 

Also their hats are terribly sized,  especially the bobble hat

Always like O'Neills designs, especially with the Partick Thistle kits over the last few years. 

Seeing as its slow news week here

i thought i would post my 4 best games from last season, take part if you please

1.    Stirling 1   Alloa 5  for obvious reasons 

2.   Alloa 4   cove 1  , Never saw it coming after a slow first half where cove dominated , so all the more pleasing 

3.   Hamilton 1  Alloa 2 , crucial result but robbo's winner especially as its his last alloa goal will stick in the memory.

4.    Falkirk 2  Alloa 2  , strange one you might think but watching Falkirk fans bricking it for most of the game was first class entertainment also our best result against them with a lot at stake for them , 

Posted (edited)
On 05/06/2024 at 11:03, Vegetableman said:

i thought i would post my 4 best games from last season, take part if you please

2.   Alloa 4   cove 1  , Never saw it coming after a slow first half where cove dominated , so all the more pleasing 

3.   Hamilton 1  Alloa 2 , crucial result but robbo's winner especially as its his last alloa goal will stick in the memory.

4.    Falkirk 2  Alloa 2  , strange one you might think but watching Falkirk fans bricking it for most of the game was first class entertainment also our best result against them with a lot at stake for them , 

Some good memories and performances here Vegetableman. 

Three more I'll chuck in for various reasons. 

Dunbar 1 Alloa 2

Andy's reign had got off to a really bad start at Meadowbank the week before and now we had an away tie against a non league side who were right up for it and Alloa without the young loans and some injury issues too. Didn't take our early chances then gifted a goal to Dunbar and the big home crowd really fancied it. It was to the credit of the players that they dug it out - starting with a brilliant Kev Cawley header. A couple of of strange calls from the officials on this occasion meant it was closer in the end that it should have been but it was job done in tricky circumstances. On top of that Dunbar was a great away day on the train, a welcoming town and ground and great setup. Good memories and a place I'd like to go back to. 

Cove 2 Alloa 3

It was an up and down performance here, had a commanding lead with a decent opener then a beautiful second but a few minutes of madness let Cove back in. But Alloa rallied and the winner from Bobby Goals was magnificent. The three loans were fantastic here, Steven and Ethan devastating with the assists and Wales clinical, but the supporting cast weren't bad either! It was a day which showed what the team was capable of when it all worked and proper scenes at the end when Bobby got the winner. As much fun as you can possibly have on a Saturday evening in an industrial park on the outskirts of Aberdeen. 

Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

Ok we lost, but the way we started - then the manner in which we rallied with 10 men for the whole second half in particular - were hugely impressive. What a high when Sammo equalised, then the rollercoaster when Taylor's free kick rolled along the line late on. There was a frustration as with 11 men we'd have had a great chance - and I think we'd have taken out ICT too - but the team gave a heroic effort and deserved the ovation they got at the end. Left this one feeling proud and optimistic about the road ahead. All in all three different performances which summed up the change at the club since Andy Graham took over. 

Edited by Waspie

Posted (edited)
On 05/06/2024 at 11:03, Vegetableman said:

Missed a couple of those games but can't argue with the top pick and the Accies game was also a good day. I think if I stretched to 5, 3 of them would be games we lost!

I think I'd have..

1. Stirling 1 Alloa 5

Should have won by this type of margin on our first trip to Forthbank, we made it count on our return. Great day.

2. Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

Ten men go out on their shield and fight to the death. Led to a disappointing "what if" after watching the playoff final but a monumental effort.

3. Montrose 4 Alloa 3

Suspect defending at both ends never the less terrific entertainment where the outcome could have gone either way. 

4. Cove 2 Alloa 3

Coasting, collapsing then digging out the win at the death to seal our place in the playoffs. The three young loaness stars all shone bright here

Motherwell 3 Alloa 1 just misses the top 4 cut. A majestic Sammon equaliser in a cup tie where the team gave everything they had.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

10 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Missed a couple of those games but can't argue with the top pick and the Accies game was also a good day. I think if I stretched to 5, 3 of them would be games we lost!

I think I'd have..

1. Stirling 1 Alloa 5

Should have won by this type of margin on our first trip to Forthbank, we made it count on our return. Great day.

2. Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

Ten men go out on their shield and fight to the death. Led to a disappointing "what if" after watching the playoff final but a monumental effort.

3. Montrose 4 Alloa 3

Suspect defending at both ends never the less terrific entertainment where the outcome could have gone either way. 

4. Cove 2 Alloa 3

Coasting, collapsing then digging out the win at the death to seal our place in the playoffs. The three young loaness stars all shone bright here

Motherwell 3 Alloa 1 just misses the top 4 cut. A majestic Sammon equaliser in a cup tie where the team gave everything they had.

yeah the cove game was good in that we secured the playoffs maybe should have been in there with mine 

the last minute winner up there would have been too  but i didnt make it that day .

20 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Some good memories and performances here Vegetableman. 

Three more I'll chuck in for various reasons. 

Dunbar 1 Alloa 2

Andy's reign had got off to a really bad start at Meadowbank the week before and now we had an away tie against a non league side who were right up for it and Alloa without the young loans and some injury issues too. Didn't take our early chances then gifted a goal to Dunbar and the big home crowd really fancied it. It was to the credit of the players that they dug it out - starting with a brilliant Kev Cawley header. A couple of of strange calls from the officials on this occasion meant it was closer in the end that it should have been but it was job done in tricky circumstances. On top of that Dunbar was a great away day on the train, a welcoming town and ground and great setup. Good memories and a place I'd like to go back to. 

Cove 2 Alloa 3

It was an up and down performance here, had a commanding lead with a decent opener then a beautiful second but a few minutes of madness let Cove back in. But Alloa rallied and the winner from Bobby Goals was magnificent. The three loans were fantastic here, Steven and Ethan devastating with the assists and Wales clinical, but the supporting cast weren't bad either! It was a day which showed what the team was capable of when it all worked and proper scenes at the end when Bobby got the winner. As much fun as you can possibly have on a Saturday evening in an industrial park on the outskirts of Aberdeen. 

Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

Ok we lost, but the way we started - then the manner in which we rallied with 10 men for the whole second half in particular - were hugely impressive. What a high when Sammo equalised, then the rollercoaster when Taylor's free kick rolled along the line late on. There was a frustration as with 11 men we'd have had a great chance - and I think we'd have taken out ICT too - but the team gave a heroic effort and deserved the ovation they got at the end. Left this one feeling proud and optimistic about the road ahead. All in all three different performances which summed up the change at the club since Andy Graham took over. 

the playoff defeat at hamilton ranks as my worst game of the season , forgettable day for many reasons personally .

15 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think I'd have..

1. Stirling 1 Alloa 5

2. Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

3. Montrose 4 Alloa 3

4. Cove 2 Alloa 3

Motherwell is a great shout. Terrific Alloa support and atmosphere and a great moment when Sammo tucked away the equaliser, an absolutely brilliant goal. Bit more luck with injuries and wee things at key times and the upset might have been on.