The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Both strolled it for years in the Championship against full-time sides. But the nuances I was on about above are clearly well beyond you. 

To be fair to him, he's struggling just to write a coherent sentence, so no chance with nuance.

I'd like us to keep Coulson. He's improved this season from last and he puts a lot of work in defensively to help out his left back. Like others said, he's good at beating a man and getting into space but he often delays his passes too much or takes too many touches when it comes to the final ball. If he could work on improving that, he'd be a shoe in for a full time team.

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Both strolled it for years in the Championship against full-time sides. But the nuances I was on about above are clearly well beyond you. 

Flanny did it whilst Falkirk finished rock bottom of the same league, so I am sure he would take absolutely no note of the Falkirk fans view on him. 

Are you guys now looking like early favourites for the L1 title next season?  I think everyone will be expecting an open L1 next season with about 4 or 5 clubs in with a chance of winning it. A good summer with a few more additions and you will be in with a real shot obviously will be extremely difficult to replace guys like Bobby Wales, Ethan Sutherland and Taylor Stevens but will be interesting to see what loans you do manage to get in. Andy Graham has gotten off to a great start every game we had against Alloa this season was really difficult and he could be another manager at Alloa that could eventually up at a FT club.

Hard to say, you could argue Cove and QOTS underperformed this season given their squads and being full time and would be expected to be up challenging for the title or at the very least playoff spots. Caley will be looking to do what Hamilton did and go straight back up.

It'll be easier to make make predictions when all the teams have their squads sorted for next season. Hopefully it's a tight league from top to bottom and we're at challenging for the title.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Hard to say, you could argue Cove and QOTS underperformed this season given their squads and being full time and would be expected to be up challenging for the title or at the very least playoff spots. Caley will be looking to do what Hamilton did and go straight back up.

It'll be easier to make make predictions when all the teams have their squads sorted for next season. Hopefully it's a tight league from top to bottom and we're at challenging for the title.

I expect QOTS will be up there I think Peter Murphy is a good appointment having done very well at Annan. Cove I think Hartley is their main downfall be interesting to see what signings they make over the summer they really need to try and keep Burrell. Can see Caley struggling seems like their owner Gardiner is running them into the ground hearing rumours about administration and a potential point deduction. Like you mentioned we can't really make predictions right now until we see what clubs do in the summer however I do think Alloa have a chance of being in a title race next season.

On 18/05/2024 at 10:56, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Flanagan played 2 seasons for Falkirk under PBS..he couldn't get a regular start & generally done nothing of note when coming on

We obviously had better options than Flannigan like Mark Millar and the young guys coming through eg Sibbald, McGrandles, Fulton, Alston etc but I thought he looked a decent player any time he made an appearance. Certainly head and shoulders above some of the absolute dross we had to endure under Hartley, McKinnon, Miller & McCracken, Holt, Sheerin & Rennie. 

On 19/05/2024 at 09:23, Rory said:

Yeah, need to see how the various squads look like - including Queens.  I've said on another thread that I think Arbroath and ICT would be the likely favourites but the financial turmoil at Inverness could maybe derail their season.  Have to say, Alloa have been absolutely solid as ever and fully expect them to be in and around the playoffs once more.  Nice wee "over-the-bridge" derby with Stenny for Alloa, to replace the Binos derby.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, need to see how the various squads look like - including Queens.  I've said on another thread that I think Arbroath and ICT would be the likely favourites but the financial turmoil at Inverness could maybe derail their season.  Have to say, Alloa have been absolutely solid as ever and fully expect them to be in and around the playoffs once more.  Nice wee "over-the-bridge" derby with Stenny for Alloa, to replace the Binos derby.

Agree Alloas squad will likely be stable but still some major gaps to fill from the loanees returning to parent clubs- Andy Graham has been brilliant but his actual recruitment still relatively untested. He didn't have to undertake too much activity in the January window. As such pretty much up in the air as to how we will fare. I'd obviously expect a top 4 target again but whether we'll be anywhere near favourites remains to be seen.

I really like trips to Stenny but historically other than Falkirk and Stirling there's very little needle between Alloa and other neighbouring clubs such as Stenny, Shire etc

On 18/05/2024 at 08:48, Oweny said:

Guy is the real deal. He's well good enough for the SPL. I remember everyone questioning Lawrence Shankland when he was banging them in at Ayr.  Guy was always good enough.  We had Iain Flanagan a few years back and the guy was absolute class and could easily have played full time. 

Too many good players in the championship and lower levels are overlooked whilst the SPL with many cheap foreign imports and players from English youth academy's get parachuted in. Taylor is SPL class as was Bobby Wales. Sutherland needs another season with us or indeed a championship team on loan .

Shankland's an awful comparison. If anything, as @Kevchenko says below, he's evidence against your argument.  Shankland was 22 when he rocked up at Ayr having already not been massively successful at St Mirren and Morton on loan from Aberdeen for whom he never made the breakthrough in any significant way. He's a very good argument for persevering with someone at a lower level for a while and giving them time to develop their game.

Not saying Taylor Steven's not good enough for St Johnstone. He likely is. He looked good this season and St Johnstone haven't set any heather on fire although they have survived in the top level at least. But the Shankland comparison doesn't work.

On 18/05/2024 at 09:30, Kevchenko said:

Would argue there were questions about Shankland’s ability to do it higher up while he was at Ayr for pretty good reason - he had already had his opportunity at Aberdeen and clearly wasn’t ready for it back at that point. 

Coincidentally, when he did get his chance in the premiership back then, he would have been around Taylor’s age at the time and was coming off the back of a pretty successful loan in league 1.

Even after that season in the Premiership, and then subsequently a couple on loan in the Championship, it took being released and dropping back down to league 1 level to really catapult his career to where he is now. 

If St Johnstone were to drop down I don’t think that would necessarily be the worst thing for Taylor. Additionally, it might cause a change of regime there which I don’t think would do him any harm either tbh. 

On 19/05/2024 at 12:59, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

We obviously had better options than Flannigan like Mark Millar and the young guys coming through eg Sibbald, McGrandles, Fulton, Alston etc but I thought he looked a decent player any time he made an appearance. Certainly head and shoulders above some of the absolute dross we had to endure under Hartley, McKinnon, Miller & McCracken, Holt, Sheerin & Rennie. 

Flannigan came in over half way through the season if my memory is correct and as mentioned before we had Sibbs, Fulton’s etc in the team but when he did play he looked decent but can’t forget he had Gary Holt in charge come the ending of that season. Can’t remember anyone saying he was a bad player just not at the level of Fulton, McGrandles and Sibbs.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

The majority of our squad will be confirmed this week. Planning the roundup on Friday as it stands.

Tease GIF by Shark Week

9 minutes ago, printer said:

I fully expect big Sammo still to be an Alloa player in ten year's time. 😁

I hope so too ... aye, cos we'll no doubt still be in the same league as you then! 😎

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I hope so too ... aye, cos we'll no doubt still be in the same league as you then! 😎

Congratulations on your promotion to the premiership. Sorry for hogging all the titles.

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Congratulations on your promotion to the premiership. Sorry for hogging all the titles.

It's a real bugger waking up from a good dream, eh? 😏