The Alloa Athletic Thread

39 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Cheers. A couple of Stenny fans on here are desperate to form some sort of rivalry with us. It just ain’t going to happen 😂😂

Not next season anyway. 😉

13 hours ago, Oweny said:

Taylor will have his pick of clubs. Too good for st Johnstone now they will struggle to keep him. A superb young player 

What a genuinely wild take. I appreciate Alloa fans have very much enjoyed having Taylor this season and as bad as saints are, the lad has never played above League 1 level in his career. His next logical move is to the Championship either with us or someone else. There are very few players (if any) who've managed the step up from League 1 straight to the Premiership. People may not rate the bottom 6 teams or the league, but the levels are way above the lower leagues.

Don't get me wrong I want him to stay as a saints player, he's always looked decent when I've seen him with us and I hope he does sign on again, but he's definitely not "too good" he's exactly where he should be in regards to pushing for a place in the squad next year.

RE the Bino’s going down, think it’s just part of a sporting rivalry - getting it right up an opposition when they are going through adversity or being jealous of the success of an opponent when times are good, in the same way I’d expect it right back at us if/when the shoe is on the other foot. 

The derbies will be missed though next year. Even taking in to account the trouble in and around the grounds with certain elements of both supports, they were a welcome return to the fixture list this past season and, as others have said, contributed decent cash in terms of crowds which it looks like League 1 may see reduced significantly next season. 

17 minutes ago, Widge said:

What a genuinely wild take. I appreciate Alloa fans have very much enjoyed having Taylor this season and as bad as saints are, the lad has never played above League 1 level in his career. His next logical move is to the Championship either with us or someone else. There are very few players (if any) who've managed the step up from League 1 straight to the Premiership. People may not rate the bottom 6 teams or the league, but the levels are way above the lower leagues.

Don't get me wrong I want him to stay as a saints player, he's always looked decent when I've seen him with us and I hope he does sign on again, but he's definitely not "too good" he's exactly where he should be in regards to pushing for a place in the squad next year.

I mean 26 goals at St Johnstone makes me think it's not too far a stretch that you'd be any worse.

17 minutes ago, Widge said:

he's exactly where he should be in regards to pushing for a place in the squad next year.

Completely agree with that, would say St Johnstone is pretty much the ideal place for Taylor right now - relegation and he has the potential to stake a claim as a regular in the Championship with you, or stay up and potentially get a loan out to a championship team instead. 

Not au fait enough with the St J squad to predict if he could be a squad factor in the premiership or not, but would hate to see him have a season of sitting on the bench and getting odd minutes here and there - he absolutely thrived being an every week starter for us and hope he gets that next season as well. Doing that in the Championship would make a lot of sense next season. 

5 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Completely agree with that, would say St Johnstone is pretty much the ideal place for Taylor right now - relegation and he has the potential to stake a claim as a regular in the Championship with you, or stay up and potentially get a loan out to a championship team instead. 

Not au fait enough with the St J squad to predict if he could be a squad factor in the premiership or not, but would hate to see him have a season of sitting on the bench and getting odd minutes here and there - he absolutely thrived being an every week starter for us and hope he gets that next season as well. Doing that in the Championship would make a lot of sense next season. 

100% and I was talking about this at the weekend. Very much a confidence player. It took him a while to come out of his shell, but when it clicked with him he never looked back. All three of the young loan players were a great watch, but you could argue Taylor Steven had the lowest profile of the three but the most impact. Hes been terrific overall for Alloa.

He likely needs a run of games, playing every week in the position where hes most effective. If his self belief remains high I think he'll be a real asset for St Johnstone. If as you mention hes on the bench getting the odd ten minutes he'd likely be better off on loan to a club at a higher level than us to progress (Falkirk, Ayr etc).

Pretty much mirrors the Luke Rankin situation for me but down a scale- need to give him a run of games when he returns, see if we can keep the momentum from his successful loan spell in the Lowland League

Great news that Steven is staying on. Really kicked on this year and been given the chance in the team and been important and influencial when hes been on the park. 

On 11/05/2024 at 20:09, Rory said:

Think I must be the only Alloa fan that wanted Stirling to stay up so we had the derbies again next season. Stirling and Falkirk were the only teams to bring a good size away support so the club will miss out on some money.

I suppose we'll have Stenny for a local derby next season.

Must admit to be gutted that there hasn't been a derby for so long and now there'll not be one for another year at least. It's always the first thing that I looked for and when the roles were reversed, I actually wanted Alloa to come up to have them back. I'd be surprised if the majority of Alloa fans wanted us to go down, other than for the quick "hahahahahah, you're sh-e".

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

RE the Bino’s going down, think it’s just part of a sporting rivalry - getting it right up an opposition when they are going through adversity or being jealous of the success of an opponent when times are good, in the same way I’d expect it right back at us if/when the shoe is on the other foot. 

This, 100% this. If I had my way, Alloa & Stirling would always be in the same league, as I'm sure fans of other rivalries are the same. Life is dull enough, you need something to wet the appetite and continually getting 1 over your rivals always makes things that bit better. 

1 hour ago, LoganAAFC said:

Great news that Steven is staying on. Really kicked on this year and been given the chance in the team and been important and influencial when hes been on the park. 

Hopefully he can kick on even more next season. Has the potential to establish himself in the first team.

Happy to see Buchanan get another deal. Think he missed out on more game time given Steven becoming undroppable in 2024. Hopefully he'll kick on again next season

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Happy to see Buchanan get another deal. Think he missed out on more game time given Steven becoming undroppable in 2024. Hopefully he'll kick on again next season

I would have him over coulson , pity they are not on the same wing  .

56 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I would have him over coulson , pity they are not on the same wing  .

I was a bit surprised we never tried Buchanan on the left and having him cut in onto his right foot, like Steven did on the other wing

5 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

100% and I was talking about this at the weekend. Very much a confidence player. It took him a while to come out of his shell, but when it clicked with him he never looked back. All three of the young loan players were a great watch, but you could argue Taylor Steven had the lowest profile of the three but the most impact. Hes been terrific overall for Alloa.

He likely needs a run of games, playing every week in the position where hes most effective. If his self belief remains high I think he'll be a real asset for St Johnstone. If as you mention hes on the bench getting the odd ten minutes he'd likely be better off on loan to a club at a higher level than us to progress (Falkirk, Ayr etc).

Pretty much mirrors the Luke Rankin situation for me but down a scale- need to give him a run of games when he returns, see if we can keep the momentum from his successful loan spell in the Lowland League

Agree with this. He made a slow enough start (in a disjointed team it must be said) and the East Fife fans weren't hugely positive about his time there. His improvement under Andy Graham was immense with his confidence clearly growing with a run of games in a role that suited him and a settled shape around him. His development at St Johnstone will likely depend on something similar, a proper chance and a manager who believes in him. Not a given he'll make it but he has a chance. At worst he can be a good Championship player but hopefully he does it in the Premier. 

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Must admit to be gutted that there hasn't been a derby for so long and now there'll not be one for another year at least. It's always the first thing that I looked for and when the roles were reversed, I actually wanted Alloa to come up to have them back. I'd be surprised if the majority of Alloa fans wanted us to go down, other than for the quick "hahahahahah, you're sh-e".

This is true. I'll miss the derbies next season but I did have a (much needed) wee smile on Saturday evening when I saw the score from Forthbank. Hopefully the derbies come back soon enough (as long as it doesn't involve us getting relegated). In the meantime think we're heading for 13 years in a row above the Binos 😁

3 hours ago, printer said:

Hopefully he can kick on even more next season. Has the potential to establish himself in the first team.

Happy with this news too. He kicked on further this season and if he can do that again - just a wee bit more composure with final ball etc, and that can come with experience - then he is capable of being a regular starter. 

Buchanans goal at Stenhousemuir in the League Cup early doors was an under rated gem. It was the first time I thought we could have a proper player on our hands.

Work still to do as mentioned but he's improved a lot this season. Agree with everyone, he's not far off becoming a regular starter.

On 14/05/2024 at 20:05, Kevchenko said:

New episode of the podcast is up covering off last Saturday, Morgyn Neill, the second half performance, and then looking at the contract extensions and the players yet to be announced.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

And there should be a bonus episode out later this week

Good listen as usual guys. Particularly enjoyed Kieren's passion talking about his pride in the team. Pride was what I, and I imagine many Alloa fans, felt on Saturday.