The Alloa Athletic Thread

The midfield looks quite fluid and adaptable to various formations and options which the manager will no doubt play about with in pre season. Of course impossible to predict how it will progress based on form and injuries but I can see Holmes getting lots of game time.

I do agree with you FB about the midfield looking adaptable but you would assume the likes of Goodwin, Cawley will play most games, the manager seems to rate Kilpatrick and if Robertson can regain his form then he would be hard to leave out. In my opinion Flanny finished the season well and looked a better option than Holmes.

Assuming we go with Spence and Longworth most games (hopefully) and you think Holmes will get a lot of playing time which he may well do, who would you leave out?

What do you see as the tactical differences between home and away games that means Holmes won't play at Recs so often?

Unless we are romping away with games which I don't imagine I can see us playing tighter away from home. Basically looking to play "winning football". Regards home games Homer's ball retention is excellent but if Goody is playing and we are pushing forward I don't see an obvious need for Homer as well.

I would guess we won't know too much until the manager sees how the team knit together in training.

Holmes and Goodwin can sit, allowing Kirkpatrick and Cawley to push on.

Holmes had a terrific end to the season, particularly in the bigger games against Rangers and Hibs. He has been a regular for much of his 5 years at the club, and the midfield of him, McCord, Simmons and Moon was arguably the best midfield combination I have seen at Alloa. Holmes played a massive role in that.

Holmes would still be one of the first (if not the first) names on the teamsheet for me and I certainly don't think he's been appointed captain for sentimental reasons.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I would guess we won't know too much until the manager sees how the team knit together in training.

Holmes and Goodwin can sit, allowing Kirkpatrick and Cawley to push on.

Holmes had a terrific end to the season, particularly in the bigger games against Rangers and Hibs. He has been a regular for much of his 5 years at the club, and the midfield of him, McCord, Simmons and Moon was arguably the best midfield combination I have seen at Alloa. Holmes played a massive role in that.

Holmes would still be one of the first (if not the first) names on the teamsheet for me and I certainly don't think he's been appointed captain for sentimental reasons.

Good question or two for Jack.

Unless we are romping away with games which I don't imagine I can see us playing tighter away from home. Basically looking to play "winning football". Regards home games Homer's ball retention is excellent but if Goody is playing and we are pushing forward I don't see an obvious need for Homer as well.

Holmes and Goodwin are very different types of players and wont play the same role in the team.

Last season Jack Ross religiously kept the same 11 (barring injuries of course) if the team had a good performance the previous week- regardless of opposition and whether we were home/away. If we're doing well I dont see there being tweaks to the midfield engine room and any changes would be slightly further up the pitch- whether we go with 1 or 2 up top for instance. The manager isnt massively obsessed with tactics and tinkering- he keeps things simple and thats why he's popular with the players.

As Ive mentioned, events occur over the course of the season- form, injuries. Anything can happen, so discussing how the season is going to pan out is impossible. But the point stands that Holmes will be in the managers plans as a regular starter and a key player week in week out.

Good question or two for Jack.

Youve teed me up for the plug well-

Q&A Session with manager Jack Ross, Thursday 21st July- likely to be Station Bar Lounge in town at 7pm-8pm (will get time confirmed asap).

Should be a decent evening, these sessions are always really insightful. From chatting to Jack on several occasions now he will be very open in terms of dialogue. By 21st July we will have 6 games under our belt (5 pre season and 1 competitive) so should have a reasonably good idea of how the team is shaping up.  

Agree with all of this.

I think Holmer is a good choice as captain and I'm pleased for him.

He's a players player, selfless in the way he plays, excellent reader of the game - an underrated player by many fans.

Agree with all of this.

I think Holmer is a good choice as captain and I'm pleased for him.

He's a players player, selfless in the way he plays, excellent reader of the game - an underrated player by many fans.

I think Holmes has developed as a player over the years. I don't think he was a player's player in his first season. He played some good stuff in that 3rd Division championship season, but I found him very frustrating at times. An awful lot of Alloa moves broke down with him trying fancy stuff when there was no need for it. I think fans of his previous clubs said similar things, that he had talent but that he perhaps didn't put it all together. I wouldn't have been too bothered if he had left that summer.

The next season, however, he really kicked on and became a key man in a great midfield, as Father Barry said. I don't know if Hartley worked on anything with Homer, but to me he was far more of a team player from then on and has continued to be. Less of the speculative wee flicks! I did wonder at times last season would a change benefit him and Alloa, but he did end the season well and seems to be flourishing under the management of Jack Ross. He will get plenty of game time in the months ahead.

Edited by Waspie

I think Holmes has developed as a player over the years. I don't think he was a player's player in his first season. He played some good stuff in that 3rd Division championship season, but I found him very frustrating at times. An awful lot of Alloa moves broke down with him trying fancy stuff when there was no need for it. I think fans of his previous clubs said similar things, that he had talent but that he perhaps didn't put it all together. I wouldn't have been too bothered if he had left that summer.

The next season, however, he really kicked on and became a key man in a great midfield, as Father Barry said. I don't know if Hartley worked on anything with Homer, but to me he was far more of a team player from then on and has continued to be. Less of the speculative wee flicks! I did wonder at times last season would a change benefit him and Alloa, but he did end the season well and seems to be flourishing under the management of Jack Ross. He will get plenty of game time in the months ahead.

I always rated him. :-)

Homer is good to have in the squad because you know that he can perform at this level and above.

I do have to say that I think his contribution in anyone of seasons 1 to 3 beats the sum of 4 and 5 combined. Injuries, poorer squads have played their part for sure but I am not expecting great things from him this season.

Tasmina Sheikh officially unveiled the new pitch tonight, bit of publicity within the community. No repeat of Diana Ross thankfully...slotted a great penalty past Neil Parry.

Preferable to when Airdrie unveiled the old pitch  :thumbsdown  .

Tasmina Sheikh officially unveiled the new pitch tonight, bit of publicity within the community. No repeat of Diana Ross thankfully...slotted a great penalty past Neil Parry.

Nice. What position will she be in on the 25th?

DGX_6616.JPG

Must have been a bit awkward at the Recs with a Remain supporter 'opening' the new pitch whilst Mulraney's Twitter is full of tweets telling folk to vote Leave.

Big Nigel was unavailable ☹ï¸