The Alloa Athletic Thread

He doesn't seem to be able to change a game. Sticks to the same formation week in week out

Complete rubbish. He's already used a number of different formations.

We are going through a bad spell, but we have a good squad and I expect us to make the play offs.

27 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Difference of opinion clearly.

Didnt feel that was the case yesterday at all, tuesday night yeah but not yesterday.

So defeat yesterday was entirely of our own making then, nothing to do with the opposition?

What changes did you want the manager to make that weren't made?

For me, Goodwin is your problem. You looked better when he went off yesterday - seemed like the fear had been lifted from your players. He's clearly done as a player and seems more intent in showing he's a hard man than actually playing any football.

Alloa seem to have gone into a bit of a decline since he took over. Strange as you'd think he has the attributes to be a good manager and you've clearly got a decent squad.

I fully expect Alloa, Airdrie and one of Peterhead and Brechin to be contesting the promotion play off places. But there is a real danger that Goodwin could singlehandedly ruin your chances.

So defeat yesterday was entirely of our own making then, nothing to do with the opposition?

What changes did you want the manager to make that weren't made?

Yes i think so, so you think we played well yesterday then and they were just the better team?

Well i might have played 2 up top, so longworth for kirky as he has scored 2 in his last 3 starts, personally feel we played better after goodwin was off although we usually play better with him but obviously no homer to slot in.

I didn't think it was a brilliant performance but nor did I think we we're awful.

Comfortable opening 20, then Airdrie get credit for the way they played after that. Second goal was a killer but we played a lot of good stuff when we we're a man down. We were very open but chasing the game with one man less, this is normal.

I was referring more to his changes throughout the game. Dropping himself back to let Hogan cover midfield was correct and all his other changes we're fine. The only mistake he made was the obvious one. As for the starting line up, although Longworth scored up at Methil I didn't think he was that great, could understand the switch there.

For me, Goodwin is your problem. You looked better when he went off yesterday - seemed like the fear had been lifted from your players. He's clearly done as a player

Not sure I agree with that. Jim has generally been good on the park for us this season.

I think there is a potential issue with him fulfilling the dual roles effectively - his form has shaded since he took on the manager's role - but it's too early to be certain of that IMO.

40 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

For me, Goodwin is your problem. You looked better when he went off yesterday - seemed like the fear had been lifted from your players. He's clearly done as a player and seems more intent in showing he's a hard man than actually playing any football.

It may appear that way on the basis of one game but this isn't the case. Also, Goodwin has had some excellent performances for us this season, so clearly not finished as a player.

I didn't think it was a brilliant performance but nor did I think we we're awful.

Comfortable opening 20, then Airdrie get credit for the way they played after that. Second goal was a killer but we played a lot of good stuff when we we're a man down. We were very open but chasing the game with one man less, this is normal.

I was referring more to his changes throughout the game. Dropping himself back to let Hogan cover midfield was correct and all his other changes we're fine. The only mistake he made was the obvious one. As for the starting line up, although Longworth scored up at Methil I didn't think he was that great, could understand the switch there.

Have to agree don't think we were awful either, played worse and won games this season.

It may appear that way on the basis of one game but this isn't the case. Also, Goodwin has had some excellent performances for us this season, so clearly not finished as a player.

Yip basing your opinion after presumably watching him once this season, has been one of our best players this season. He was poor yesterday though we are all aware of that.

4 hours ago, Tamhain said:

It might have been better for Jim to have brought in his own assistant rather than just go with the same old with Paddy. Might make a bit of difference if there is a strong character there that can make the call to sub the boss or change things from the sidelines when required, instead of waiting until it's too late. If he is insisting on playing himself, we need an assistant that can be trusted enough to also make decisions. 

As all previous Alloa Managers they chose there no2.  No one else . Jim chose to keep all back room staff !!

This! The stick the ref & Lino got yesterday was crazy. I know everyone hates Iain Russell too but he got more out of some of our fans than our own players. Was angry and disappointed to hear a certain few have a go at Taggs, thought he was one of our better players. Demonstrated that and shut them up with the volley.

I know we have serial offenders who like to have a go at the officials and less so at our own players. One guy in particular is beyond belief.

I will hold my hand up and say I lost it with the ref yesterday. On reflection it was more about Airdrie simulation and the lack of power refs have to deal with these situations.

We all have our moments, Don't know about you faither but Kieran I heard you giving Jammer heavy stick from the stand at the Recs.

I know we have serial offenders who like to have a go at the officials and less so at our own players. One guy in particular is beyond belief.

I will hold my hand up and say I lost it with the ref yesterday. On reflection it was more about Airdrie simulation and the lack of power refs have to deal with these situations.

We all have our moments, Don't know about you faither but Kieran I heard you giving Jammer heavy stick from the stand at the Recs.

Yip i know exactly who you mean he does my t*ts in.

Me aswell i thought the ref had a nightmare but in no way is that an excuse he was shit for airdrie aswell.

Dont know what people expect from jamma playing 10 mins here and there, he has started a few games now and look what he has came up with.

I can't mind the game you're talking about. Of course, we all do it from time to time though! I don't think I'd go fully abusing a player for a game. I honestly don't remember giving him much stick! I was one of the ones calling and calling for him to get subbed on yesterday.

I'm more referring to guys who just seem to have Alloa players they just don't like & no matter what they do they are still a useless so and so and will get a barrage of stick. Players like Taggs & Isaac and that I don't like. Can't be good for them because no doubt they hear it.

Absolutely not my intention to single out individuals here. Loads of guys are just as committed in terms of following the team everywhere and certainly not my right to judge others. Everyone's different and as folk have said, we all have our moments. 

5 hours ago, printer said:

Complete rubbish. He's already used a number of different formations.

We are going through a bad spell, but we have a good squad and I expect us to make the play offs.

Yep, this transitional period with Goodwin getting accustomed to management might cause us to lose a wee bit ground. But we are still an excellent side at this level and there's a long long way to go.

Jim over the next few weeks and months will i am sure make up his mind on his playing career.  

Imo he still has a lot to offer as a player but not like yesterday 

If he is going to be a success at Alloa as manager Imo he has to stop playing 

We need a centre half. Centre Forward and a Sitting midfielder  

Edited by Wasps1

I'd like to see Scotty Hynd getting a run of games over Isaac, and probably Baldy as well. Hardly ever gets a proper run-out, but seems to do a decent job when called upon. Can't say I'm bothered that Luke Donnelly's away either. Didn't do much in the games I saw him in, and seemed a bit awkward.

If the boss maintains his current disciplinary streak, he won't have to worry too much about playing in the second half of the season.