The Alloa Athletic Thread

Heard Homer is taking over from Paddy Connelly who's decided to take a break from it and spend more  time with his family and watching his son play, 

Been a great servant to Alloa 

Edited by Wee wasp

Nice to see Phil sign back up. He done a good job when required and hopefully will continue to improve with Parry signed up as GK coach.

11 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/fixtures-results/

Back from Germany yesterday so catching up. Anyone see anything wrong with these fixtures let me know. Yes, that's a home friendly against Cumbernauld added.

I'll see if I can get some season ticket cards for this year - doesn't help if you make any mistakes. 🫠

Morton Premier sports cup game is the only one I noticed when looking through.

Just now, liammcintosh01 said:

Morton Premier sports cup game is the only one I noticed when looking through.

Oops forgot to make that a 2024-25 game. That was done in Germany so I'm blaming the 🍻

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Oops forgot to make that a 2024-25 game. That was done in Germany so I'm blaming the 🍻

the saddle sores would be a distraction too  🙂

19 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

the saddle sores would be a distraction too  🙂

*Insert me myself and Irene joke*

On a serious note to travel on ALL LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSPORT for an entire month in all of Germany. 49 Euro.

Scotrail on the shortest route I can buy:

.image.png.4386fd2abb39d407a82b64c3a8cb9627.png

Edited by LeodhasXD

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Back from Germany yesterday so catching up. Anyone see anything wrong with these fixtures let me know. Yes, that's a home friendly against Cumbernauld added.

I'll see if I can get some season ticket cards for this year - doesn't help if you make any mistakes. 🫠

A 7.45 am kick off, that's a first. Back to the junior football days with that anyway 🤣

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

The only thing I spotted was that the Cumbernauld game seemed to kick off quite early.

Bugger, just beaten to it.

Edited by Dink

Just don't get the excitement about Phil resigning. At best he is an average goalkeeper and certainly wouldn't be confident if he had to replace PJ for any more than the odd game.

5 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Just don't get the excitement about Phil resigning. At best he is an average goalkeeper and certainly wouldn't be confident if he had to replace PJ for any more than the odd game.

Agreed, gave me the fear whenever he played last season. Can only assume he's good value for money as backup but I'd be worried if PJ was to sustain a bad injury. Big Neilly has done some wonderful work for Alloa in the past but if he can make Phil a reliable alternative between the sticks that would eclipse the lot. If anyone can.... 

Good to see Luke Rankin among the goals already, even it's it only pre-season. Would be a massive help if he could kick on and become a real option for the first team. 

42 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Good to see Luke Rankin among the goals already, even it's it only pre-season. Would be a massive help if he could kick on and become a real option for the first team. 

Definetely an option off the bench at the very least ,

I think big phil is a good backup but agree he can give the fear as he doesn't seem so confident sometimes i am sure NP can coach him well and use his athletiscism to the full.

Nelly 1 on the trialist thread ( Blame him if its wrong )

Saying we have signed Shay nevans freed from motherwell 

signed as a replacement for coulson and i have heard he is similar in style  .

Screenshot_20240629_161515.jpg

Decent work-out last night, losing out 1-0 to Morton. 

Positives: Luke Rankin. Looks so much stronger and faster. Had more confidence too and probably should have been on the scoresheet. Thought we lost goal scoring threat after he went off but game was also petering with Morton down to 10.

The goal was very reminiscent of a lot of the lapses of concentration we had last season, Taggart this time at fault, unfortunately. Hopefully iron that out ASAP. 

Definitely still work to be done with that squad. Cal Waters, not surprisingly, looks a massive upgrade. Trialist at RB looked positive, as did the man above too. Could potentially lead to Taggart stepping in one if the RB can kick on, albeit he is very young. Interestingly, O'Donnell came on and played right-wing. Not somewhere I would have seen him but allowed Kev to go in-behind the striker where he was most effective.

Wonder if Andy is looking as Rankin as first choice striker for this season? 

My only issue with Taggs moving to CB permanently is we already have 3 signed up, plus Andy himself if needed. I suppose Devine has a bad injury record so having an extra CB up the sleeve is ok.

Seen Hogarth is on loan at QotS this season. Surprised Rangers haven't tried to get him a loan a division higher.

27 minutes ago, Rory said:

Seen Hogarth is on loan at QotS this season. Surprised Rangers haven't tried to get him a loan a division higher.

That's only a rumour at this point tbf. Scott Burns retweeted a post by The 30. No idea how reliable the latter is but Burns is normally spot on apparently. Will wait and see. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's only a rumour at this point tbf. Scott Burns retweeted a post by The 30. No idea how reliable the latter is but Burns is normally spot on apparently. Will wait and see. 

3 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Decent work-out last night, losing out 1-0 to Morton. 

Positives: Luke Rankin. Looks so much stronger and faster. Had more confidence too and probably should have been on the scoresheet. Thought we lost goal scoring threat after he went off but game was also petering with Morton down to 10.

The goal was very reminiscent of a lot of the lapses of concentration we had last season, Taggart this time at fault, unfortunately. Hopefully iron that out ASAP. 

Definitely still work to be done with that squad. Cal Waters, not surprisingly, looks a massive upgrade. Trialist at RB looked positive, as did the man above too. Could potentially lead to Taggart stepping in one if the RB can kick on, albeit he is very young. Interestingly, O'Donnell came on and played right-wing. Not somewhere I would have seen him but allowed Kev to go in-behind the striker where he was most effective.

He did play there against Livi in the first friendly and had a good game