The Alloa Athletic Thread

I wouldn't be getting too worried at this stage, it's July and it was the first game and has to be seen in that context. But certainly it was poor tonight. There were questions about the defence last season and think most fans probably had and have some reservations about the same CBs being retained, albeit manager had his hands tied a bit there. It was a bit dispiriting also to see Devine again apparently injured. But they are all capable enough and we'll have to hope a strong pairing emerges. I'd expect more from the full-backs as we move forward too. Defence wasn't the issue tonight anyway. PJ played well. 

Midfield was poor and that was the root of our issues. The deeper two of Scougall and Roberts didn't bring any control, despite plenty effort. Roberts at least brought his normal drive but he's never been the man to get on the ball and control a game. The return of Hetherington on Saturday will make a big difference there. 

The other issue - and it was linked to a fair extent in us not getting the ball down and playing - was the lack of threat from the three behind the striker, on the occasions we actually did have some possession. Kev was anonymous. LD when he came on (late enough to be fair) didn't have any real impact. He is one who has a bit to prove the next few months. Not much came off for Cammy. Buchanan I thought ran around a lot with little end product. All resulted in the old issue of us reverting to shelling long balls to Sammo when our game isn't working and that's not his game. 

It was unfortunate that Nevans got injured straight away as he might be an option to improve those attacking areas. Thomson was a bright spot out of position. 

I had hoped we'd have added one or two more permanent additions by now but looks like it's going to be loans. We need another mobile striker (as well as Rankin) and at least one more pacy option for the three behind.

Again though, I'd be wary of getting too bogged down on one game at this very early stage, and a game we didn't lose either. There is a lot of work to be done but there's plenty of time to do it and address the issues mentioned by a few posters. 

Edited by Waspie

4 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I wouldn't be getting too worried at this stage, it's July and it was the first game and has to be seen in that context. But certainly it was poor tonight. There were questions about the defence last season and think most fans probably had and have some reservations about the same CBs being retained, albeit manager had his hands tied a bit there. It was a bit dispiriting also to see Devine again apparently injured. But they are all capable enough and we'll have to hope a strong pairing emerges. I'd expect more from the full-backs as we move forward too. Defence wasn't the issue tonight anyway.

Midfield was poor and that was the root of our issues. The deeper two of Scougall and Roberts didn't bring any control, despite plenty effort. Roberts at least brought his normal drive but he's never been the man to get on the ball and control a game. The return of Hetherington on Saturday will make a big difference there. 

The other issue - and it was linked to a fair extent in us not getting the ball down and playing - was the lack of threat from the three behind the striker, on the occasions we actually did have some possession. Kev was anonymous. LD when he came on (late enough to be fair) didn't have any real impact. He is one who has a bit to prove the next few months. Not much came off for Cammy. Buchanan I thought ran around a lot with little end product. All resulted in the old issue of us reverting to shelling long balls to Sammo when our game isn't working and that's not his game. 

It was unfortunate that Nevans got injured straight away as he might be an option to improve those attacking areas. Thomson was a bright spot out of position. 

I had hoped we'd have added one or two more permanent additions by now but looks like it's going to be loans. We need another mobile striker and at least one more pacy option for the three behind.

Again though, I'd be wary of getting too bogged down on one game at this very early stage, and a game we didn't lose either. There is a lot of work to be done but there's plenty of time to do it and address the issues mentioned by a few posters. 

The voice of reason , EF are obviously flying right off the mark , early days and hardly time to panic .

I'm not dispirited but that was in the worst 5 football games and I was at Peterhead for 0-2 in the opening league game of BF's Alloa. 

However, beginning of last season that's the kind of game we'd have lost. Injury to Nevans and Devine too literally hamstrung us. Out of the gates full disclosure: I'm a staunch ageist but Cawley and Sammon I'd not have retained this year despite the good (or unbelievable for Kev) service we've got out of them. Think Rankin will add plenty when he comes back and Buchanan was our only outlet tonight and a lot of the season will depend on how he copes with the increased game time. But saying all that a competent striker and winger on loan we'll not be too far away from last season.

On that note I miss Ally Roy. 😪

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Out of the gates full disclosure: I'm a staunch ageist but Cawley and Sammon I'd not have retained this year despite the good (or unbelievable for Kev) service we've got out of them. 

My issue with Sammon isn't his age, it's that when he starts our centre backs seem to think punting balls up to him is our best option. It's frustrating watching him lose headers or if he wins the header, he just flicks it on to the opposition. 

I didn't mind us keeping Sammon, he's a decent option from the bench and no doubt will be able to pass on a lot to Rankin. If he does start the odd games, we need to stop seeing him as a Didier Drogba-esque striker and play the ball into his feet.

Not playing sommon to his strengths exactly are we , he has never been too good with the ball punted up to him , Even in his 19 goal season not long past . still worth having  IMO .

Lastnight was poor and we made it hard  but we still gained 2 points regardless , some nice penalty goals last night

look at the positives  !  

Edited by Vegetableman

On 12/07/2024 at 21:20, LeodhasXD said:

If you're who I think you are its because your email got flagged for risk of phishing? Although that was two days ago not 5 if it was to me.

I'm working on it. Everything has been a bit compressed this preseason. Just getting the regulars sorted and then I'll open it up to everyone else. You'll see a few players have them already. 

speaking of sponsorships i can't seem to sponsor anyone through the website was looking at sponsoring Morgyn as he appeared on the podcast last september but websites not letting me even though in the programme for the EF game it states hes not been sponsored yet

On 16/07/2024 at 22:22, Kevchenko said:

Only 1 down and still over 40 odd competitive games to go, but……..That was every bit as dire a start to the season as the defeat to the Binos was last year. 

Maybe you've got used to the 4 weeks of wonderful stuff at Euro 2024.  Probably take about  6 weeks of watching Alloa games before you start to appreciate the subtllties of L1 football.

33 minutes ago, Willie Gut said:

Maybe you've got used to the 4 weeks of wonderful stuff at Euro 2024.  Probably take about  6 weeks of watching Alloa games before you start to appreciate the subtllties of L1 football.

Most of the Euros was decided by penalties too tbh.

17 hours ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

speaking of sponsorships i can't seem to sponsor anyone through the website was looking at sponsoring Morgyn as he appeared on the podcast last september but websites not letting me even though in the programme for the EF game it states hes not been sponsored yet

Will open that up tomorrow. I have to go around a few more companies to put them down for a player and didn't want to sell out first so its just folk that have sponsored before that have their names down so far.

2 hours ago, Willie Gut said:

Did you watch a different Euros? Barring 2/3 games, it was mostly depressing to watch

Comfortable victory today.

Luke Rankin did well in the first half and deserved his goal especially after winning the penalty.

Cawley with an absolutel screamer as well.

Was a bit disappointed with Calum Waters first half.

Those Brechin fans don't have much of a sense of humour. 

Edited by Trips

Glad to see Kevin Cawley get a goal. I thought he played well on Tuesday night as well. Still think he is a good squad player and deserves another season far more than some others who were retained. 

4 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Glad to see Kevin Cawley get a goal. I thought he played well on Tuesday night as well. Still think he is a good squad player and deserves another season far more than some others who were retained. 

Cawley was excellent today, goal was a peach and looked like he was back at his best. In terms of the some others who were retained, I assume this means Donnelly who I actually thought was excellent today when he came on. I was surprised he was offered a new deal as well but his first touch was excellent, didn't misplace a pass and was even pressing the back line. Everything seemed to be going through him when he came on and if he can keep fit and play like that consistently, he'll be a valuable asset this season.

Overall we were much better today but clearly need wingers to come in on loan ASAP. Rankin has bulked up and was very bright and scored a great goal, and I can see him being our starting striker this season, but would be nice to have another option up front as well.

Donnelly was the main one I was thinking about although a few others in various positions who I wouldn't have given a contract to.

There is no doubting Luke's ability but lack of fitness and game time last season would have put him near the top of the free list for me. 

Terrific finishes from Kev and Rankin yesterday. Luke's in particular a classy one.

It would be a real plus if the wee man got a run of games and hit form this season. I still think he's as good as anyone we have playing in the middle behind the striker when on form.

29 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Donnelly was the main one I was thinking about although a few others in various positions who I wouldn't have given a contract to.

There is no doubting Luke's ability but lack of fitness and game time last season would have put him near the top of the free list for me. 

I agree with this. Andy must feel that he can help Luke overcome his fitness issues. If he manages that (a la Jack Ross with Flanny) then we've got a top player. If not, well frustrating times again.

Perhaps LD's deal is structured to incentivise him to be properly fit to play.