The Alloa Athletic Thread

Any news of possible loan signings?Andy said he wanted to see how the team settles first.However,anyone I've spoken to wants loans in, particularly a striker.I also think we need loans in.We can't just have Sammo as our back up striker surely.

Edited by Alloa 68

Someone posted in one of the match threads that St Mirren going out of Europe meant Ethan Sutherland could come back to Alloa but not sure how likely it is.

I don't think we'll get as lucky with loanees again this year but would like to see one or two come in

37 minutes ago, Rory said:

Someone posted in one of the match threads that St Mirren going out of Europe meant Ethan Sutherland could come back to Alloa but not sure how likely it is.

I don't think we'll get as lucky with loanees again this year but would like to see one or two come in

I spoke to Andy last season about Ethan.He said St Mirren see Ethan as a left back,but I thought he was more effective as a winger.I sat next to Ethan's dad every home game,and he agreed that Ethan is better as a winger/left midfielder.So I'm not that sure we could get him back.Now that we have Watters back,that seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

I've seen this opinion a few times - mainly from opposition fans - and I'm not convinced. Perhaps there is an element of luck about who is available and whether or not you can get them (although I'm sure Andy has had a few targets for a good while now) but the eventual success of loans goes way deeper than that. When we first got Taylor Steven last season he had pretty mixed reviews from his previous loan spell with East Fife. In the disjointed Alloa of Brian Rice he was pretty meh. Bobby Wales you could tell had talent but he took a long time to score. I recall a suggestion on this thread that he should be dropped for Brad Rodden 😬

What turned things around for those players was the way they were handled, in a settled system where they were able to grow and really develop, and get the full benefit also of the experienced good pros around them. They did visibly grow as players. Steven in particular was totally unrecognisable in the end, but Wales also made massive strides. That wasn't luck, it was down to the manager. And it's what good managers do - we had plenty of other similar examples with loans in the previous decade. Think Stewart, McCart, Zanatta, Hastie....

So if we get young players with potential and a good attitude, I'd trust the manager and senior players to bring them on. You aren't signing finished articles, you're signing players you can develop, and there's a lot more to that than getting lucky. 

We do need at least two and I'd hope we can get them as soon as possible as currently we aren't dangerous enough in the attacking positions. 

3 hours ago, Rory said:

aye i spoke to luke rankinat the game vs stenny he mentioned that the clubs were in contact

47 minutes ago, Rory said:

Wonder if Sutherland getting on against Celtic ends the chances of him coming back to us. Hope the season goes well for him wherever he ends up

i thought the same if hes getting some football there he wont come back for another year

Podcast is back this week and after a long break we round up the league cup campaign before talking through the 4 league games so far. There's also a bit of chat about players that have caught the eye (or not) so far before we talk about the league in general and then on to Arbroath this Saturday.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

On 26/08/2024 at 18:44, Alloa 68 said:

Rumours that Wolves tabled a bid for Ethan Sutherland today.Bid has been turned down. Apparently it was around 250k with add on's.

SSN reporting Sutherland to Wolves for £300, 000.

Andy Graham should easily be able to promote the benefits of coming to Alloa on loan with the success stories of Ethan Sutherland and Bobby Wales. One gets a move to the richest leagues in the world and the other scores in Europe.

7 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Andy Graham should easily be able to promote the benefits of coming to Alloa on loan with the success stories of Ethan Sutherland and Bobby Wales. One gets a move to the richest leagues in the world and the other scores in Europe.

Completely. 

Great move for Ethan. Let's hope he does well down there. Will be fun keeping an eye on how he is doing.

Ethan was getting his medical at Wolves today it seems.I'm really happy for the lad.Always gives his all,and a real talent.I had the pleasure of sitting next to his dad and family at home games last season.A lovely supportive family,and a fantastic group to have banter with.His dad is more vocal than me,and that takes some doing.All the best for the future Ethan,I'm positive you will have a great career.All the best Ethan and family.

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Well this takes me back 

probably been on here but ..

no wonder we called it the wrecks

the poster aught to have checked his spelling though 

the distance between the terrace and the goals compared to now is insane