Confirmed Championship Issues

Yes and yes. Mitchell and Russell would miss 2nd leg of first playoff tie if booked against Livi.

Very good chance of Russell picking up a booking against his old mates Livi, might be a shrewd move to give him a rest on Saturday then!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is going to be very tight at the top of the league but I would have to say Dundee should win the league because they are probably the best team who I've seen against Queens this season. Hamilton to finish 2nd, Falkirk 3rd and Queens 4th.

For the play off place at the bottom I would have to make Cowedenbeath favourites for that (especially as they have to face Queens next week).

It is going to be very tight at the top of the league but I would have to say Dundee should win the league because they are probably the best team who I've seen against Queens this season. Hamilton to finish 2nd, Falkirk 3rd and Queens 4th.

For the play off place at the bottom I would have to make Cowedenbeath favourites for that (especially as they have to face Queens next week).

Earth shattering revelations there

This week's results:

Alloa Athletic 0 - 3 Dundee

Dumbarton 4 - 1 Hamilton Academical

Morton 1 -1 Falkirk

Queen of the South 2 - 0 Livingston

Raith Rovers 1 - 2 Cowdenbeath

Surprisingly, despite it being the second last week pretty much nothing was settled that wasn't settled before. A bit of jockeying at the top but nobody has ensured anything officially that wasn't already the case.

Title

The top three are determined to hand the advantage to each other it seems. A week ago Dundee crashed to a surprise defeat at relegated Morton and handed the advantage over. A week later they are back on top and pretty much just need a point at home next week to win the title! Still all three teams could win the league though.

Promotion Playoffs

Queen of the South all but clinched the remaining playoff place with their win over Livingston. Dumbarton hung in there officially with an outstanding victory over Hamilton but it's surely in vain. They trail Queens by three points and 12 goals with a week to go.

Relegation Playoff

This is now very interesting. Cowdenbeath did what they had to do again and won at Raith. Alloa were well beaten by Dundee so there is now just a point between the teams, thoguh Cowden's dreadful goal difference means a draw won't do them. They are at home to a QoS side that are now playing for little whilst Alloa go to Falkirk in the final week. The Great Escape is certainly now achievable for Cowden.

Situation for the final weekend of the season, Match Day 36:

Fixtures

Cowdenbeath v Queen of the South

Dundee v Dumbarton

Falkirk v Alloa Athletic

Hamilton Academical v Morton

Livingston v Raith Rovers

Title Race

In practice Dundee basically need a point at home to Dumbarton to clinch the title and with Dumbarton surely now accepting their season is over it's hard to see them not getting it.

If Dundee win then they are Champions.

If Dundee draw, Falkirk are out of contention and Accies would need an eight goal victory over Morton to snatch it from Dundee.

If Dundee were to lose then Accies would take the title with a win over Morton.

If Dundee lose and Accies don't win it gets really interesting. Accies would be out of it but Falkirk, who have scored more goals than Dundee, could win the division with a victory over Alloa and a three goal total swing. So if Dundee lose by a single goal Falkirk will need to win by two goals, or vice versa.

Clearly even if Dundee clinch the title, Accies and Falkirk are still jockeying for the playoff bye week also.

Promotion Playoffs

Whilst not official yet it seems this is over and Queen of the South have got the final spot. Dumbarton are three points behind with one game to play. Queens are 12 goals better off although Dumbarton have scored more. For Dumbarton to pinch 4th they'd need to win 6-0 at Dundee whilst Queens lose by the same at Cowdenbeath.

Relegation Playoff

Raith still need a point to be formally safe but in reality are fine, being 11 goals better than Cowdenbeath who are three points behind.

In reality this is a straight fight between Alloa and Cowdenbeath. There's a point between them but Alloa are seven goals better off. So a draw won't do Cowdenbeath unless Falkirk beat Alloa by seven. BAsically Cowden need to beat Queen of the South at home but if they do they'll stay up unless Alloa can somehow win at Falkirk.

Finally, Livingston and Raith Rovers will fight out a largely meaningless match over the 6th and 7th place prize money.

Fair play, final week of the season and only one meaningless fixture. That said, with three teams still in the hunt for the title and not playing one another as well as the race to avoid 9th, that would be the case whether we had playoffs or not.

It's been a good season this year, with everyone capable of beating each other. Even Morton after the season they have had, have chucked a spanner in a few teams works in the last few weeks.

Looking forward to Saturday. May the best team win.

Its now a confirmed championship issue that alloa are sh1tting themselves.

Now?? That's been confirmed for weeks. We're now pretty much resigned to the playoffs, and the way we're playing just now and with the injuries and suspensions mounting up, we're not holding out much hope for them either.

Now?? That's been confirmed for weeks. We're now pretty much resigned to the playoffs, and the way we're playing just now and with the injuries and suspensions mounting up, we're not holding out much hope for them either.

For weeks? 2 weeks ago you were 7 points ahead with much better goal difference and only 3 games left. Nobody would have bet on us at that point.

Yip. With 6 games to go we had 3 games where picking up points were essential as we knew the last 3 games were all against the title contending top 3 and we'd probably get nothing. We were beaten by Raith and Dumbarton before we beat Morton. 3 points from those 3 games was a poor return and it's no surprise that Cowden have managed to win their last 2 matches, especially with the opposition having very little to play for. Same situation again this Saturday with Falkirk and QoS. Cowden on the back of 2 confidence building wins won't want to blow it now at a home game with QoS and according to some on here, QoS have 2 suspensions and are resting those with knocks to make sure they're okay for the playoffs. On top of that we are away from home with 2 suspensions and a few recent injuries and things look very bleak for us. Our best hope of avoiding relegation is simply hoping Cowden don't manage to win this Saturday.

You'll probably get a better idea of that on the Duffle Forum. It's a bit of a mixed bag in terms of supporters being happy/unhappy with him. I personally like him and think he's doing a decent job.

I think he has done superb under the circumstances. He came into the club on a downward spiral with no loan signings left and one day transfer window. Next season we will see his full potential and I think he can do the job. So far the only away game I have missed since I think Queen of The South last year has been Hamilton but the negative comments at them are putting me off

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So, bumpity bump. Time to resurrect the Confirmed Championship Issues thread.

Champions
Clearly already sorted a couple of weeks ago. It has been a wonderful season for Heart of Midlothian. Take a bow.

Playoffs
Falkirk can get 61 pts right now and have a much poorer goal difference than the sides above them so whilst nobody has clinched a playoff spot yet, Rangers and Hibernian are in reality three points away from it. All three sides play tomorrow so victory for Rangers over Raith, Hibs over Hearts or a loss by Falkirk at QoS will clinch spots.

The fact that Queens play Falkirk tomorrow effectively means Raith are out of the playoff race now too. The last playoff slot is therefore pretty much a two horse race. Queens are a point ahead, have a game in hand and a much better GD. With Falkirk's other two games at Rangers and home to Hibs in effect a QoS win tomorrow will almost certainly be enough. It would leave Falkirk needing nothing less than two wins in their last two and QoS would still only need two more points from three games to get above them. A draw keeps it tight on paper but still leaves Falkirk needing at least two draws or one win from their last two games just to ask a question. In reality Falkirk need to win.

At the bottom today's results make it interesting.

Relegation
Livi's come from behind victory leaves them just three points behind Alloa with a game in hand, a better GD and a bit of momentum. That may well go to the wire and Cowdenbeath are still in that race too, just two further points up.

Relegation Playoff
Likewise therefore the same three sides are also in the hunt for the playoffs. Dumbarton are clear and playing for nothing but you get the feeling the three horse race could go to the wire.

Fixtures for Sunday 12th April
Hibernian v Hearts
QoS v Falkirk
Rangers v Raith Rovers

Wins will clinch playoff spots for Rangers or Hibs. A QoS win will clinch playoffs for both Rangers and His and realistically also Queens themselves.

Raith are playing for nothing really whilst Falkirk need at least a point at Palmerston to retain realistic hopes of promotion.

The optimist in me is going for:

QOS v Falkirk (Away win)

Falkirk 55pts

QOS 53pts

Alloa v QOS (Draw)

Falkirk 55pts

QOS 54pts

QOS v Dumbarton (Home win)

Rangers v Falkirk (Draw)

QOS 57pts

Falkirk 56pts

Falkirk v Hibs (Home win)