St Johnstone vs Dundee United, Armageddon sponsored Scottish Cup Final

banana

Scottish Cup Final 2013/14  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have to agree that the final's not the place as 2 leagues have already taken place between the clubs since his unfortunate demise.

We managed to do something appropriate for an ex-player that spent some time with us in the twilight of his career. Any petitioning should really be aimed at United who apparently have done nothing for a player that is rightly fondly remembered as one of their European heroes. I'm quite shocked they've done nothing actually.

Edited by 7-2

I've no idea how they would go about it. It's just an appeal to both clubs to take the opportunity to commemorate his life, and his contribution to both clubs.

I agree a minute's applause probably isn't appropriate given that by the time the cup final rolls around, 4 months will have passed since his death. The petition didn't mention having a minute's applause though, other than to say that had been what was originally planned. It asks for a piece to be written and included in the cup final programme.

Have you (or whoever organised the petition) approached both clubs first? Or even thought up an idea for a tribute?

Starting a petition suggests the fans all want something and the clubs are against it. Is that the case?

Is it wrong or "bizarre" that people want to show their appreciation of a man who was a great ambassador for our clubs?

The line I quoted was the suggestion that fans hadn't had the chance to show their appreciation yet.

I would suggest there are plenty of ways to show appreciation for any man without needing someone to organise a minute's applause for them, which happens to be a very poor tribute anyway.

I never once suggested honouring the guy was a bad idea. More a minute's applause at the cup final was.

I agree it's the wrong time for any tribute beyond a page in the programme, but if my team was knocked out the last place I'd want to be posting would be in the final thread and seeing that both La_Leyendas teams are out, his posting seems more bizarre than people wanting a tribute to me.

Strange thing to say since you were posting in the League Cup final thread....

I never once suggested honouring the guy was a bad idea. More a minute's applause at the cup final was.

A minute's applause HASN'T been suggested for the final. Not by me, not by the person who started the appeal, and not by anyone else that I can see either.

You actually quoted the sentence that said a piece in the match-day programme would be fitting. Did you just stop reading after that and decide in your own mind that a minute's applause was being suggested?

No, I haven't approached the clubs involved. I've no idea whether the woman who started this appeal has. The way I see it, she is garnering support so that when she does take it to the clubs, they see it's a reasonable amount of people who would like to see something rather than just one person. Seems sensible to me. Just because it says "petition", that doesn't mean it's some sort of militant demand which, if not agreed to, will be punishable by a boycott of the Final for Christ sake!

Have to agree that the final's not the place as 2 leagues have already taken place between the clubs since his unfortunate demise.

We managed to do something appropriate for an ex-player that spent some time with us in the twilight of his career. Any petitioning should really be aimed at United who apparently have done nothing for a player that is rightly fondly remembered as one of their European heroes. I'm quite shocked they've done nothing actually.

I hadn't realised that St Johnstone had, in fact, had a minute's applause in their next match. The Marly pointed this out to me. I'm really disappointed that United haven't done anything - I think that's pretty poor.

I think though that it's going to both clubs as its a request to put something in the matchday programme, so might need the backing of both clubs?

I hadn't realised that St Johnstone had, in fact, had a minute's applause in their next match. The Marly pointed this out to me. I'm really disappointed that United haven't done anything - I think that's pretty poor.

I think though that it's going to both clubs as its a request to put something in the matchday programme, so might need the backing of both clubs?

From memory of semi final programmes, I think they include, or have included, sections on players/connections between both clubs so a bit about Redford would obviously fit in there. Not sure if a special tribute is appropriate at this stage now though.

Mind you, it's an SFA publication so with Redford being an ex-Rangers player they'll probably have an 8 page feature about his Ibrox cup winning days.

A minute's applause HASN'T been suggested for the final. Not by me, not by the person who started the appeal, and not by anyone else that I can see either.

Fair enough, I take that bit back then.

No, I haven't approached the clubs involved. I've no idea whether the woman who started this appeal has.

That's just daft. All you need to do is email the guy editing the programme, ask if a tribute is planned for Redford, and if there isn't offer to do one.

You really don't need to garner support or start a petition to have something written in a programme. What an over the top reaction.

Edit: Here's his twitter, send him a simple message, sure he'll be happy to help. https://twitter.com/RonnieEsplin

If it's not him editing it, it'll be Darryl Broadfoot. Just e-mail the Scottish FA in that case.

Coincidently, the League Cup final programme (obviously edited by the SPFL) was a mighty 92 pages.

Edited by La_Leyenda

Fair enough, I take that bit back then.

That's just daft. All you need to do is email the guy editing the programme, ask if a tribute is planned for Redford, and if there isn't offer to do one.

You really don't need to garner support or start a petition to have something written in a programme. What an over the top reaction.

Edit: Here's his twitter, send him a simple message, sure he'll be happy to help. https://twitter.com/RonnieEsplin

If it's not him editing it, it'll be Darryl Broadfoot. Just e-mail the Scottish FA in that case.

Coincidently, the League Cup final programme (obviously edited by the SPFL) was a mighty 92 pages.

What a colossal smart arse you are.