Sandy Jardine gone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad news. Whatever anyone may have thought of him in life, he deserves respect now he is no longer with us. I for one will remember him in the 70s and early 80s with fondness. RIP.

Was playing in the first Rangers game i attended and i was fortunate enough to be at Tynecastle when he made his 1000th appearance..playing for Hearts against Rangers. I am gutted .... Absolutely gutted. Rip Sandy Jardine a true Rangers great

I wish we had 30 or 40 Scottish players of a similar calibre today, that was in the days when you could name the starting 11 every game(injuries and suspensions excepted).

Sad news. I prefer to remember him in his pomp. Remember this one?

It was at the start of the 1979-80 season that Jardine scored what was probably the goal of his career. Facing Celtic in the Drybrough Cup Final, he won possession in the tackle on the edge of his own penalty area then ran almost the length of the field, beating defender after defender

As he reached the Celtic box, he cut inside and unleashed a left foot shot that rifled into the back of the net. It was a glorious goal - yet one which didn't quite get all the credit it deserved.

Rangers final goal in that 3-1 victory was scored by Davie Cooper, who flicked the ball in the air four times over Celtic defenders before slotting it home. It was a breathtaking moment and as Jardine himself has said with wry humour: "I hardly got a mention in the papers the following day."

Was a great player with Hearts, and that was at the end of his career .He could read the game and was an outstanding defender.I met him a few times, and he was a true football man. Always had kind words for fellow players and coaches .Always positive about football .

R.I.P.

few rumours going round that a stand will be named after him at ibrox , also talk of getting murray park changed to jardine park.

Few rumours that Ibrox will be named TESCO too...

Archived