Broomhill Sports Club

Broomhill Ultra

Yep the times of clubs being able to significantly able to draw any significant amount of their support from fans of other teams is probably over. Broomhill are going to have to grow their own support. They have little hope of one week having Celtic fans in and the next rangers.

Maybe refugees from the fighting when they are finally reunited?

Mad theory for a new ground no. 241: Broomhill primary school is going to be rebuilt starting next March. The whole school will be based in the 'upper' site and the 'annexe' beside crow road is not going to be required, what about a smart wee modern 3,000 seater there?! I have no idea how to post a map or if the site would be big enough, better than a trek to Possil once a fortnight though.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe refugees from the fighting when they are finally reunited?

Mad theory for a new ground no. 241: Broomhill primary school is going to be rebuilt starting next March. The whole school will be based in the 'upper' site and the 'annexe' beside crow road is not going to be required, what about a smart wee modern 3,000 seater there?! I have no idea how to post a map or if the site would be big enough, better than a trek to Possil once a fortnight though.

3000 would be far beyond what would ever be needed surely?

Broomhill is basically a boys club albeit a very large and very well run boys club. Going to be a busy 2 and a half months!

Interesting news. I'll watch out for your posts. Is Kenny Moyes still involved at Broomhill? I was led to understand he has been.

Being serious for a second, BSC Glasgow must be the first Senior club established in Glasgow for a very long time*.

*those regarding Rangers as a new club may exempt themselves from this thought

Probably since Glasgow Corporation Transport and Jordanhill Technical College played in the Combined Reserve FL during the late 1960s-early 1970s?

If they get licensed and obtain SFA membership that would be going back even longer. Perhaps to Shawfield FC between the wars? Earlier?

Wee bit of history being made here, then.

As regards the very reasonable point being made about having a year-long consultation period...firstly, the Juniors aren't interested, so a year or ten years wouldn't have made a difference.

I agree with all of your post apart from this bit. I'd say there was every chance of at least limited involvement from the Juniors IF the consulation exercise had been carried out. Let's remember that the vast majority of Junior clubs agree with the concept of a Pyramid according to an SJFA survey, there are clubs out there who would have been interested if their concerns were addressed. They weren't (not helped by the SJFA), so we are where we are now.

Congratulations to east kilbride football club for their succesful application for full membership of the SFA fantastic news and a lot of hard work by a lot of people at the club has now been rewarded well done guys

I think we can all agree that the LL board must know something we don't. Lets see what happens over the coming months too. I too have reservations and concerns but lets not condemn them before they've even got going.

No, we can all agree that we HOPE the board no something we don't.

Being serious for a second, BSC Glasgow must be the first Senior club established in Glasgow for a very long time*.

*those regarding Rangers as a new club may exempt themselves from this thought

Probably since Glasgow Corporation Transport and Jordanhill Technical College played in the Combined Reserve FL during the late 1960s-early 1970s?

If they get licensed and obtain SFA membership that would be going back even longer. Perhaps to Shawfield FC between the wars? Earlier?

Wee bit of history being made here, then.

I can remember Glasgow Corporation Transport playing in the Scottish Cup proper when I was wee. I think they might have lost at home 0-3 to Brechin City.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/glasgow-corporation-transport

They lost 4-1 away to Brechin in their only ever Scottish Cup tie just before Christmas in 1970... I didn't realise they'd ever joined the SFA. They appear to have joined for 1966-67 and left after 1970-71 despite their success that season. They had mixed success in their 5 South Qualifying Cup campaigns with 4 ties won, 1 drawn and 5 lost.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/glasgow-corporation-transport

They lost 4-1 away to Brechin in their only ever Scottish Cup tie just before Christmas in 1970... I didn't realise they'd ever joined the SFA. They appear to have joined for 1966-67 and left after 1970-71 despite their success that season. They had mixed success in their 5 South Qualifying Cup campaigns with 4 ties won, 1 drawn and 5 lost.

I'm not convinced that the game was played in Brechin, I'm almost certain it was played in Glasgow, perhaps near Parkhead?

Well, that Monday's edition of the Glasgow Herald says:

"Brechin City's experience was too much for Glasgow Corporation Transport at Glebe Park. The Angus side won 4-1".

Goals from Harrier, Littlejohn (both being penalties), Clark and Binnie with a solitary counter from Thomson for the visitors.

Interestingly, that day's football article floats the potential for seeding in the Scottish Cup, and reveals proposals for the Drybrough Cup.

I agree with all of your post apart from this bit. I'd say there was every chance of at least limited involvement from the Juniors IF the consulation exercise had been carried out. Let's remember that the vast majority of Junior clubs agree with the concept of a Pyramid according to an SJFA survey, there are clubs out there who would have been interested if their concerns were addressed. They weren't (not helped by the SJFA), so we are where we are now.

No matter the length of the consultation period, there were essential issues to be dealt with by each of the league bodies before any team could join the LL.

Both the EOS & SOS leagues bodies resolved the issues and teams felt able to apply.

The primary consultation needed within the SJFA remains to be resolved, such as

The practical issues of promotion and relegation to and from juniors/LL

The issue of retaining junior membership to play in the junior cups, as current members of the LL can do.

All of this is essential before any junior team could properly consider whether to apply for LL involvement.

We are where we are now and I am sure that no junior team will take that leap in the dark to make the move from junior to LL without these issues being addressed

I think they'll do fine in terms of drawing a home support, if they can engage with their youth teams and dish out free or really cheap tickets (say £10 season tickets or all under 16s free with a paying adult) then they could grab a comparatively huge amount of youngsters who might grow up and end up supporting the club. There's also a real passion for football in Glasgow which would lead to a lot of guys heading along when their 'big' team have a week off.

No they won't. There's Ashfield, Perthshire, Petershill, Rossvale and St Rochs among others all in front of them in that queue.

Well, that Monday's edition of the Glasgow Herald says:

"Brechin City's experience was too much for Glasgow Corporation Transport at Glebe Park. The Angus side won 4-1".

Goals from Harrier, Littlejohn (both being penalties), Clark and Binnie with a solitary counter from Thomson for the visitors.

Interestingly, that day's football article floats the potential for seeding in the Scottish Cup, and reveals proposals for the Drybrough Cup.

Glasgow Corporation Transport obviously didn't park the bus that day... taa daa!

I'm getting fed up with the negativity and nitpicking. Imagine someone had said in the early 1870s "ach, this football thing will never take off" then we'd all be watching egg chasing on a Saturday. And that would have been a terrible fate!

No they won't. There's Ashfield, Perthshire, Petershill, Rossvale and St Rochs among others all in front of them in that queue.

Broomhill wouldn't expect to draw fans from the north of the city though at least initially even if they temporarily play at Saracen. The west end and city centre is a bit empty of clubs : thistle and maryhill juniors to the north and clydebank and yoker to the west but other than that? Bearsden, milngavie, knightswood, anniesland, Partick, drumchapel etc etc if a way could be found to convince people BSC is their local team then that is a significant potential catchment. Big if though clearly and especially to start from nothing.

We are where we are now and I am sure that no junior team will take that leap in the dark to make the move from junior to LL without these issues being addressed

I'm happy to say that Haddington have formally written to the SFA, with membership fee, stating their ambition to get a licence. Very early days and "many a slip 'twixt cup and lip" and all that but the first step on the road. Watch this space

Broomhill wouldn't expect to draw fans from the north of the city though at least initially even if they temporarily play at Saracen. The west end and city centre is a bit empty of clubs : thistle and maryhill juniors to the north and clydebank and yoker to the west but other than that? Bearsden, milngavie, knightswood, anniesland, Partick, drumchapel etc etc if a way could be found to convince people BSC is their local team then that is a significant potential catchment. Big if though clearly and especially to start from nothing.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Can you cite a precedent elsewhere who have been able to do that?

Archived