The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2014/15

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highlights don't work for me either but here are the goals at least;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152615871834559&set=vb.630599558&type=2&theater

The lead up to the pen and the second goal looked offside but we can't see the right-back in either shot so we'll never know for sure. Not so sure about the pen either tbh, though in the last replay it looks like defender stuck his foot out a little. Normally you get nothing as the smaller club away in Europe, so I was quite impressed that the ref didn't give in to their incessant collapsing in the box in the second half. Maybe we had a bit of good fortune in those decisions but I thought we were fantastic in the first half, and defended very well in the second.

Aberdeen isn't really the smaller club compared to Groningen, I would say. They are clubs of a very similar size.

The right-back declared he was to blame for the penalty kick, so he presumably was canceling out offside. Not sure about the 2nd goal. Odd that the highlights do not show that. The home crowd resorted to the tactics of screaming for a spot kick on every occasion in the 2nd half, hoping to play into the referee's presumed guilt of giving a controversial goal to the opposition (we actually screamed ourselves to two penalties in the 2007 Euro encounter with Partizan like that :P ). I thought one call could have been given (not in the highlights though), but was hard to judge from my position. Yet it demonstrated that Groningen was vastly running out of options when it came to looking for the equalizer in the 2nd half.

I didn't think Aberdeen was much better in the first half than in the second. They were rather stable over the entire match. Not fantastic but always rather comfortable. They actually created most of their chances in the second half. In the first half, there was only one Aberdeen opportunity outside the two goals, when the Groningen defender played it back too short but Rooney's shot was saved.

Real Sociedad play NEC Nijmegen - who were relegated from the Dutch top tier last season - in Holland tonight. 6pm kick off. Worth keeping an eye on, as we've just beaten Dutch opposition and play Real next.

Real Sociedad play NEC Nijmegen - who were relegated from the Dutch top tier last season - in Holland tonight. 6pm kick off. Worth keeping an eye on, as we've just beaten Dutch opposition and play Real next.

Royal Society takes a narrow 1-0 win over NEC.

Apologies if already discussed but was there any trouble over in holland for the game? Saw a video earlier of some nutter running full pelt towards some Dons pipers in the street and launch a bicycle at them. Really shite behaviour, hope things didn't get much worse than that.

Quick question for anybody was having a conversation with a lad in the pub last night who seemed under the impression that Sociedad would be seeded should they make the playoff round so in theory if we do knock them out would we take there seeding place would this in fact be true?

Quick question for anybody was having a conversation with a lad in the pub last night who seemed under the impression that Sociedad would be seeded should they make the playoff round so in theory if we do knock them out would we take there seeding place would this in fact be true?

Fraid not. This only applied to the earlier rounds where the draw was made before the round previous was complete.

The draw for R4 is the day after the R3 2nd leg, so no scope for any either/or draws.

Highlights from the Ajax - Real Sociedad game:

Yet there is probably little to learn about a team from such slow pace pre-season games. Unlikely they are gonna score an own goal again like the one on ca. 3:35 anytime soon.

Cheers for that looking at that I'd hope for some seed rejigs some of the seeded teams look rather a daunting tie and getting rather greedy wanting to make the group stages.

Sociedad are a good side but they are beatable and no greizman gives me a little more optimistic. Dunno if been asked earlier is Carlos Vela still with them?

Edited to add see estaban granero has signed from qpr will he be eligible?

Must admit I'm massively jealous about this - San Sebastian is an awesome city. I'd definitely swap that for a trip to the arse end of Slovakia!

Good chance that Saints will get past the Slovakians though, who knows where you going be going in the next round!

Archived