The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

It's amazing. After his debut season, I'd have been in utter dismay at this happening.

Now though, with 2 bad injuries and a lot of lost ability, I'm pretty glad to see him go.

Yep, I'd agree with that. It's about time we got someone else to partner McAusland. Best of luck to him.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye. I'm relieved we won't have to watch him and McAusland play next to each other any more.

The partner for Cheesy is vital. Probably need to sign another for back up too.

I'd rather we just got two new center backs in now. Let's be honest, McAusland has been rubbish no matter which partner he's played with, so we can't just keep blaming his partner. McGregor was the better of the two last season, but really that's not saying much. We've been crying out for new defenders for a while, so now we have no choice but to sign some it could be a good thing. Two new first picks and McAusland as back up would be fine.

I'd rather we just got two new center backs in now. Let's be honest, McAusland has been rubbish no matter which partner he's played with, so we can't just keep blaming his partner. McGregor was the better of the two last season, but really that's not saying much. We've been crying out for new defenders for a while, so now we have no choice but to sign some it could be a good thing. Two new first picks and McAusland as back up would be fine.

Have to agree.

The two CH's and Striker to support Sir. Thommo will be crucial to our season.

We really need to get these signings right.

Have to agree.

The two CH's and Striker to support Sir. Thommo will be crucial to our season.

We really need to get these signings right.

Can't disagree. Wouldn't be too fussed to see Cheesy as the back up. You need to whisper that on b&w army though.

Bare in mind, we had the 7th best defence in the country last year, we conceded less goals than 2nd placed Motherwell.

Quite an achievement when you consider we used 3 keepers and that the 2 full backs were in their debut season at senior level... The only experienced constants were McGregor and McAusland. Were they really that bad?

Be careful what you wish for... Etc.

The fight for 7th best defence should be good next season with St Mirren trying to retain their crown. Should introduce playoffs for it IMO.

Daft idea IMO. One that will no doubt be championed by Stewart Milne. Let's just hope he doesn't end up in tears this time.

The fight for 7th best defence should be good next season with St Mirren trying to retain their crown. Should introduce playoffs for it IMO.

That's the kind of crap your chairman has been putting forward for years. Good thing for Aberdeen and Scottish football as a whole that we have Staurt Gilmour around - a visionary who delivered play-offs when virtually all others were spouting utter guff.

^^^ Thinks Aberdeen are above the rank of mere diddy status.

Calm down lads, I'm sure St Mirren will do a better job of retaining the 7th best defence in the league title than they did the league cup.

It'll be exciting seeing the 7th best defence title being contested though, I won't lie.

There are no flowers in his house

there are no paintings hung on the wall

there is no fire

oh he is the loneliest man in the world

he never knows what the time is

or the day or the month of the year

time means nothing to him

there is no sunshine in his house

he never draws the curtains at

all he lives in his own world

because he is the loneliest man in the world

he doesn't have any friends

nobody likes him at all

he is so weird because

he is the loneliest man in the world

he is the loneliest man I've ever seen

he doesn't speak at all

but inside I know a voice must scream

Let me out, let me out

Seriously, standfree is not someone you should have ambitions to emulate.

I fear for you.

Oh no :(

I hope I pull through.

Sorry, I'm just bored with this pre-season shite

Oh no :( I hope I pull through. Sorry, I'm just bored with this pre-season shite

Fair enough, but go be bored somewhere else if you are intent on regurgitating his shite. One throbber operating at his level on our thread is more than enough to bear.

Cheers.

So anyway, moving away from that bizarre interlude, the facts show that our defence wasn't our problem last year, it was actually the strongest area of the team. Therefore i disagree with the points that it requires wholesale surgery, I think it needs slight tinkering.

If we can adequately replace McGregor and improve on him (which shouldn't be difficult) we should improve our league position. I am hopeful that Mark Williams will break into the team next year, he's a young defender who has been outstanding for the 20's whenever I've seen them and he's been promoted to the first team this summer.

If he does come through we could have a back 4 solely comprised of academy graduates. This third best youth system in the country really is baring fruit.

Of course we will need to sign an experienced defender aswell, but if he doesn't work out ala Grainger then all is not lost.

Bare in mind, we had the 7th best defence in the country last year, we conceded less goals than 2nd placed Motherwell.

Quite an achievement when you consider we used 3 keepers and that the 2 full backs were in their debut season at senior level... The only experienced constants were McGregor and McAusland. Were they really that bad?

Be careful what you wish for... Etc.

Was it Hibs that had the 6th best defence? If only we'd emulated them.

As for the 2 young full backs, it was them coming into the team that helped shore things up. Defensively we were better with them in the team and Goodwin back in midfield. The centre half’s were always the weakness and you could see teams targeted them, as both were guilty of horrendous errors far too often. McGregor was probably a better footballer at least, but I doubt McAusland would get a game for any other Premiership club right now, apart from maybe Dundee.

Was it Hibs that had the 6th best defence? If only we'd emulated them.

As for the 2 young full backs, it was them coming into the team that helped shore things up. Defensively we were better with them in the team and Goodwin back in midfield. The centre half’s were always the weakness and you could see teams targeted them, as both were guilty of horrendous errors far too often. McGregor was probably a better footballer at least, but I doubt McAusland would get a game for any other Premiership club right now, apart from maybe Dundee.

Well the reason that Hibs got relegated was that they couldn't score. Would you rather we had the worst defence in the league? It would certainly fit with the narrative of blaming our centre halves better.

I agree that the young full backs helped, they were two tremendous bonuses coming in when they did. However they were helped immensely by Goodwin and Cheesy, Mark in particular continually shouts at Kelly about his positioning.

I hope Cheesy goes into next season as our starting centre half and our vice captain. I'm perfectly aware many Saints fans who go every week think he's hopeless, but he's improving year on year and last season was his best for us by

some distance. In the vital home wins against County, Killie and Hibs toward the end of the season he was fantastic and we kept a clean sheet in all 3. He tends to get criticised when things go wrong and not praised when things go well unfortunately.

Our main problem last year was going forward, and specifically the lack of goals from midfield. McGowan and Harkins were meant to be the main providers of them, they flopped and got 5 between them. Once Kenny got himself fit and was played further forward toward the end of the season and started scoring, results improved.

If we can't retain his services a goal scoring midfielder should be the top priority.

I agree that the young full backs helped, they were two tremendous bonuses coming in when they did. However they were helped immensely by Goodwin and Cheesy, Mark in particular continually shouts at Kelly about his positioning.

I hope Cheesy goes into next season as our starting centre half and our vice captain. I'm perfectly aware many Saints fans who go every week think he's hopeless, but he's improving year on year and last season was his best for us by some distance. In the vital home wins against County, Killie and Hibs toward the end of the season he was fantastic and we kept a clean sheet in all 3. He tends to get criticised when things go wrong and not praised when things go well unfortunately.

Well said. Hopefully McAusland will make some people change their minds when he has a better defensive partner next season.

I'm by no means part of the mouth breathing McAusland boo boy brigade and I hope he has a brilliant upcoming season, but if you ask yourself, as GAD did, what other top flight teams would have him, the answer is probably only Dundee or Hamilton at a push. As much as I love the guy, I just have this nagging feeling when watching him that he's going to do something stupid and give away a goal.

Hopefully a new defensive partnership brings out the best in him now and he kicks in from a strong finish to last season.

Archived