The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

I wouldn't agree with that first part, I'd say McAusland's distribution is far better than McGregor's and about the same as Mair's. Goodwin is a midfielder so his passing is understandably better. McGregor put us in far more danger than McAusland last season with his erratic runs up the park and poor passing.

Swings and roundabouts with Cheesy and McGregor.

For his size Cheesy is easily bullied and dreadful in the air and has no pace where McGregor isn't

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul McGowan is a very gifted player who lost his way last season. The much publicised court case and a loss of form combined for him to have a very poor season.

He needs a new challenge and a fresh start with another club and would be a very good signing for Dundee.

The season before last when we won the cup he was outstanding and tipped for a gig in the English championship.

Papers have us as after Paul McGowan, any good?

Would be a good signing for you guys imo.

Was talk of him getting a Championship move this time last season. I would've probably rather we kept him than see him at a direct rival tbh.

He would be a great signing for you (or any team in the league) - if he recaptures his form from 2&3 seasons ago.

At his best he could easily carve out a decent career for himself down south but after last season I just don't think he has the mentality to do that unfortunately for him.

Papers have us as after Paul McGowan, any good?

Terribly overrated, decent enough but for his position he doesn't contribute enough goals or assists.

He can do a job for most of the bottom half, but his tendency to slow play down and unwillingness to shoot is a pain. But he is capable of some moments of magic.

Probably not worth what his wage demands are likely to be.

McGowan was rubbish last season which is a shame since he was brilliant for the 3 before that.

His off field issues certainly took him off his game. If it's last seasons McGowan then good luck, if it's the one before that then he should comfortably be Dundee's best player.

Maybe not at his best but McGowan was still an automatic choice for the team. He holds a ball up better than anyone at the club and is one of the best in the SPL at that. McGowan is one on the best players in the League at playing between midfield and strikers. The problem we had is that we only played with one striker. I reckon he will shine again at any team that has two up top and will still be a big miss for us next season. Disappointed he is leaving.

Maybe not at his best but McGowan was still an automatic choice for the team. He holds a ball up better than anyone at the club and is one of the best in the SPL at that. McGowan is one on the best players in the League at playing between midfield and strikers. The problem we had is that we only played with one striker. I reckon he will shine again at any team that has two up top and will still be a big miss for us next season. Disappointed he is leaving.

agreed . I'm still trying to get my head around him being let go. Was not up to his usual standard last season but he was hardly shite. If he signs for a rival club all the Saints doubters will regret him leaving for sure.

agreed . I'm still trying to get my head around him being let go. Was not up to his usual standard last season but he was hardly shite. If he signs for a rival club all the Saints doubters will regret him leaving for sure.

He's 26 (not a youngster anymore) and never played for a Top Six SPFL team, he only seems to be able to play one position with any degree of success and when you take away penalties his scoring record is under 5 a season - not great for a forward. Over his 4 seasons I've seen him put in a fair number of mediocre performances, although when at the top of his game he was one of our best players.

He leaves with my best wishes but I'll be interested to see if he secures a better deal than Conor Newton i.e. a low end (English) Championship team and although we never made him a formal offer the timing of the announcement of his departure a week after the first cut (releasing players like DVZ etc) leads me to believe there must have been some contact between the club and the player after the season ended.

His salary last season is a matter of rumour but I wouldn't have said he was worth over and above what the bulk of our squad members get paid.

Had Gowser played anywhere near his best last season we'd have been gutted to have seen him not be retained.

Still think it'd be best for him as a person and a player if he tried his luck down South although it's highly unlikely a Championship side would want him.

Aye he was outstanding in 2011/2012. Had his moments of brilliance 2012/2013 especially in the Hampden cup games.

Last season his off the field antics contributed to a poor season. Also played out of position to accommodate a waster. Would have been one of the highest earners last season and his performances didn't justify it. Can understand if he didn't want to lower his demands or TC didn't think he was worth paying over the odds for . Shame it hasn't worked out would have liked him to leave on a higher note.

Really think he needs to get out of Scotland for his own good. I think he could get into bother again if he was to move to somewhere like Dundee or Edinburgh. He needs to get out of his home town though, doing him no favours.

He's 26 (not a youngster anymore) and never played for a Top Six SPFL team, he only seems to be able to play one position with any degree of success and when you take away penalties his scoring record is under 5 a season - not great for a forward. Over his 4 seasons I've seen him put in a fair number of mediocre performances, although when at the top of his game he was one of our best players.

He leaves with my best wishes but I'll be interested to see if he secures a better deal than Conor Newton i.e. a low end (English) Championship team and although we never made him a formal offer the timing of the announcement of his departure a week after the first cut (releasing players like DVZ etc) leads me to believe there must have been some contact between the club and the player after the season ended.

His salary last season is a matter of rumour but I wouldn't have said he was worth over and above what the bulk of our squad members get paid.

he only ever signed for a us after Celtic ? He played midfield for us. When he was out we had a long run of losing games and only started picking up results when he was back in the team. Nothing will convince me he should have been freed. Unless we push on for a top six next season. My big worry is new owners who will be paying back their investment with club cash, really hope they can't raise the cash. I

he only ever signed for a us after Celtic ? He played midfield for us. When he was out we had a long run of losing games and only started picking up results when he was back in the team. Nothing will convince me he should have been freed. Unless we push on for a top six next season. My big worry is new owners who will be paying back their investment with club cash, really hope they can't raise the cash. I

I didn't realize he'd played for Celtic's first team so apologies on that count. He played just off Thompson for the bulk of his time with us - not midfield.

Other than his cameo with Celtic's first team (3 starts & 5 sub appearances) I stand by what I said.

I didn't realize he'd played for Celtic's first team so apologies on that count. He played just off Thompson for the bulk of his time with us - not midfield.

Other than his cameo with Celtic's first team (3 starts & 5 sub appearances) I stand by what I said.

Played that famous night at St Mirren park . You know the game that Robbie Keane played in :thumsup2

Played that famous night at St Mirren park . You know the game that Robbie Keane played in :thumsup2

I was there that night, erm two options he didn't do much or I'm going senile prematurely - third option both of these! :wacko:

The fact he played in the 4-0 match shows we needn't worry too much about him going elsewhere. And besides, he's been a mainstay in a Saints team that most accept have basically underperformed in the league for a couple of seasons.

He's a very tidy player, and works well as part of a side trying to play possession football, but I suspect we'll be switching to a slightly more direct style this year (Wylde to become a first choice pick, for example) so I really don't think he'll be a huge loss.

He was our best player in 11/12, one of our best in 12/13 and then pretty hopeless in 13/14. I said in the OP that I wouldn't be too fussed if he left, and I'm not now he has. You don't mind carrying all his baggage if he's doing it on the park, you do if he isn't.

He scored 2 goals since October. For a forward player who played as many minutes as he did, that's an absolutely woeful return. Gregg Wylde scored as many in 2014 as McGowan did, despite playing a fraction of the minutes.

It's the absolute correct decision to let him go IMO.

From the BBC gossip section:

"Fed-up goalkeeper Chris Dilo has accused St Mirren of forcing him out of the club. "St Mirren had offered me a new deal," said Dilo.

"We were just in discussions about the salary. All of a sudden I learned that they had signed a new goalkeeper [Mark Ridgers]."

Full story: Scottish Sun (print edition)"

I don't buy it.

Archived