The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Kamberi won't be playing tonight and Hornby looks quite tall so i think that predictability might continue for at least one more game of hoofball. 

Aye not tonight but eventually. I expect McLennan to keep his place either on the wing or behind the striker. Probably Hendry to start as he's played somewhat recently

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We really don't play hoofball. I don't understand why people keep saying this.

We do, but not exclusively. 

Lots of our long passages of passing the ball backwards end up with Lewis for an aimless punt.

If the ball is bobbling about in midfield then our preference is to just belt it  back into the air and towards the opponents goal. 

That's not all we do, but we do it more than i'd like us to. 

Just now, coprolite said:

Lots of our long passages of passing the ball backwards end up with Lewis for an aimless punt.

If the ball is bobbling about in midfield then our preference is to just belt it  back into the air and towards the opponents goal. 

I really don't think we do. We'd almost be better having a defined hoofball style. 

I'd say our lack of goals stem more from the number of attacking moves that start on the deck from midfield but break down on the oppositions 18 yard line.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Aye not tonight but eventually. I expect McLennan to keep his place either on the wing or behind the striker. Probably Hendry to start as he's played somewhat recently

McLennan could well have an important roll in the weeks to come. 

We've been at our best this season with Hedges and Wright working together and linking up with Watkins. I suspect that McInnes will try to re-create that with Kamberi up front and Hedges with McLennan linking up with him. 

It could be a good thing for McLennan. I've never seen him as a winger, shoving him out there was always the round peg in a square hole scenario. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

McLennan could well have an important roll in the weeks to come. 

We've been at our best this season with Hedges and Wright working together and linking up with Watkins. I suspect that McInnes will try to re-create that with Kamberi up front and Hedges with McLennan linking up with him. 

It could be a good thing for McLennan. I've never seen him as a winger, shoving him out there was always the round peg in a square hole scenario. 

Yeah I'm a McLennan fan. Looked like we'd brought through a good player when he first came on the scene a couple seasons ago. Injuries have definitely hampered him or else I think we'd have seen more of him.

I do agree that he's better through the middle. Gets a little lost out wide. A Scotland U21 connection with him, McCrorie, Ferguson and Hornby will hopefully reap benefits as well

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Regarding Lewis, he always seems to dink it just around the halfway line, never seems to vary it like other keepers must be so predictable to deal with and limits attacks.

Totally hypothetical this but has Cormack deliberately left us with 12 players contract past this summer? (11 if Hernandez joins Atlanta).  Could potentially save something between 50k - 100k in wages between May and June when loans do expire and players leave at the end of their contract.

Or is this norm across a number of clubs given the financial climate we're in? 

31 minutes ago, CO2000 said:

Regarding Lewis, he always seems to dink it just around the halfway line, never seems to vary it like other keepers must be so predictable to deal with and limits attacks.

Lewis' kicking frightens me at times. He often leaves it to the last moment to kick the ball. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Have to agree with this. It normally goes long out of necessity. We spend too long passing it between centrebacks, full/wingbacks and centre mids. Invite pressure and then go long. The lone striker is then isolated and if he does win the ball there is nobody to pass it to.

A big part of this issue is neither Taylor or Considine are too comfy on the ball. Both like a couple of touches to set themselves up. Hoban is much better at playing out and why it was really noticeable when McKenna left.

When we do manage to pass the ball out of defence quickly we get a lot of success with it. But as Dons points out we've then lost it with poor decision making in the final third.

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Lewis' kicking frightens me at times. He often leaves it to the last moment to kick the ball. 

Lewis' kicking is almost always good. The issue is he'll let the ball come to him rather than go meet it. Puts himself under unnecessary pressure.

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Totally hypothetical this but has Cormack deliberately left us with 12 players contract past this summer? (11 if Hernandez joins Atlanta).  Could potentially save something between 50k - 100k in wages between May and June when loans do expire and players leave at the end of their contract.

It's certainly been deliberate.

Whether that's because of Covid and waiting to see what the landscape looks like or because we are changing manager or both then who knows. I'd suggest it's to do with Covid financials in the most part.

We don't really have any assets left in there after Wright and McLennan coming off the list so there is no real urgency.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Have to agree with this. It normally goes long out of necessity. We spend too long passing it between centrebacks, full/wingbacks and centre mids. Invite pressure and then go long. The lone striker is then isolated and if he does win the ball there is nobody to pass it to.

A big part of this issue is neither Taylor or Considine are too comfy on the ball. Both like a couple of touches to set themselves up. Hoban is much better at playing out and why it was really noticeable when McKenna left.

When we do manage to pass the ball out of defence quickly we get a lot of success with it. But as Dons points out we've then lost it with poor decision making in the final third.

That all started in the away game against Rijeka 16 months ago. It was an obvious instruction to the back 4 to hold possession rather than boot it away. It ran in to problems when the back 4 realised that 20 sideways passes was fine, but at some point the ball had to make a forward journey. So we hoofed it. 

Watch the game back again. There are a couple of hilarious points where McKenna and Considine pass it sideways to each other for around 5 minutes, as the Rijeka players stand bemused and watching from 20 yards away.

We then brought in Ojo as the man to create the link between the subbuteo players in our defence, and the midfield. But then we realised he was pish.

7 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

2 minutes ago, d31 said:

It's certainly been deliberate.

Whether that's because of Covid and waiting to see what the landscape looks like or because we are changing manager or both then who knows. I'd suggest it's to do with Covid financials in the most part.

We don't really have any assets left in there after Wright and McLennan coming off the list so there is no real urgency.

If you look at the players out of contract this summer, how many of them would we be likely to keep Covid aside?

I would suggest probably only Hoban, Leigh, Ross, Taylor, and Virtanen. Even then, only Hoban will be a first team regular. Possibly Woods' loan might turn into a permanent move. Plenty of room for manouevre in the summer.

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That all started in the away game against Rijeka 16 months ago. It was an obvious instruction to the back 4 to hold possession rather than boot it away. It ran in to problems when the back 4 realised that 20 sideways passes was fine, but at some point the ball had to make a forward journey. So we hoofed it. 

Watch the game back again. There are a couple of hilarious points where McKenna and Considine pass it sideways to each other for around 5 minutes, as the Rijeka players stand bemused and watching from 20 yards away.

We then brought in Ojo as the man to create the link between the subbuteo players in our defence, and the midfield. But then we realised he was pish.

When we played Hearts in our opener Ojo came deep and it worked really well. He was collecting goal kicks from Lewis and created a lot of space. His early injury ruined his chances here. By the time he returned we had Ferguson to do that job.

44 minutes ago, d31 said:

Another vote here for going full hoofball sometimes for the bants.

What we actually do it plod plod plod plod plod plod plod plod and occasional hoof.

Is that what we did on Saturday when we created four open goal chances and the McCrorie chance where the keeper made a great save?

43 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Is that what we did on Saturday when we created four open goal chances and the McCrorie chance where the keeper made a great save?

we certainly played better on Saturday but lets see how we go tonight. I hope a brand new striker will help us show some urgency to create a chance for him.