The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Think we can forget about Liam Scales coming to Pittodrie.

Move on to another left sided central defender. 

im sure we'll find out before too long. who is the mystery second defender?

32 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Played very well against Bilbao tonight.

Tim fans want to keep him & put him ahead of Welsh & Kobayashi. 

Anthony Stewart would have looked good in the 2d half for them after some some of the celtic howlers in the first 45.

I wouldn't read too much into half a friendly.

12 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Anthony Stewart would have looked good in the 2d half for them after some some of the celtic howlers in the first 45.

I wouldn't read too much into half a friendly.

Irrespective of how he played, surely getting a half suggests that coming to us isn't a foregone conclusion? 

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Irrespective of how he played, surely getting a half suggests that coming to us isn't a foregone conclusion? 

Anthony Stewart got 27 minutes on Saturday for us but hopefully he's still a foreGONE conclusion and heading elsewhere by the time the window closes.

If Robson was hoping that he might attract suitors by playing him on Saturday then I think it probably had the opposite effect.

With regards Scales, maybe Brenda is just having a look at his hand before he twists, but Scales transfer was never a certainty and was  going to be dependent on the price Celtic put on him...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Anthony Stewart got 27 minutes on Saturday for us but hopefully he's still a foreGONE conclusion and heading elsewhere by the time the window closes.

If Robson was hoping that he might attract suitors by playing him on Saturday then I think it probably had the opposite effect.

Fair point, although i doubt we'll be jeopardising a transfer fee by risking an injury to the hapless chap. 

Celtic have a big squad of 31 senior players including 6 CBs and will have to move out half a dozen players this month.

They might find that Scales is an easier one to move out temporarily.

Good luck to him if he does get a look in

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I didn't imply it did. He has had a full 90 mins for them prior to last night and was equally solid.

I was suggesting him having a good 45 and some Celtic fans suddenly thinking he is cafu wouldn't be the deciding factor on him returning to us.

Pay them a price that suits us both or look elsewhere would be my prefered outcome of this saga.

Has 1 cap for New Zealand which he achieved in 2019. Has Irish citizenship. A left back. Hopefully he offers more than Hayes and Mackenzie.

I haven't been terribly impressed by the A-League imports (Devlin, Rowles, Atkinson, Jeggo, Miller and Birighitti) in recent years however not going to judge until I've seen him play a decent number of games first.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

45 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Has 1 cap for New Zealand which he achieved in 2019. Has Irish citizenship. A left back. Hopefully he offers more than Hayes and Mackenzie.

I haven't been terribly impressed by the A-League imports (Devlin, Rowles, Atkinson, Jeggo, Miller and Birighitti) in recent years however not going to judge until I've seen him play a decent number of games first.

Those Aussies you mentioned…..I wouldn’t take one of them at Pittodrie.

Devlin & Rowles are the best of a bad bunch, and they’re both bang average. 

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Apparently, this new left back has only completed 90mins 3 times in the past 2 seasons. He's struggled to hold a regular spot anywhere he's played. At least Rowles, Devlin, Miller etc were all standouts in the A-League and like you've said, they are bang average. I don't know what to make of this signing if I'm being honest. 

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Apparently, this new left back has only completed 90mins 3 times in the past 2 seasons. He's struggled to hold a regular spot anywhere he's played. At least Rowles, Devlin, Miller etc were all standouts in the A-League and like you've said, they are bang average. I don't know what to make of this signing if I'm being honest. 

I do.

At the risk of sounding negative, I’m very underwhelmed to be honest.

Seems a strange one to me. 
I was hoping we’d sign a clear no1 LWB to replace Jonny. 
I’m not sure we have.

Not writing the lad off, I’ll give him a chance, but not getting great vibes 

I could well be wrong, but I suspect Robson sees Hayes as part of his strongest team and just wants someone who can give him some competition and be a rotation option, rather than necessarily replace him (at least in the short-term). 

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I could well be wrong, but I suspect Robson sees Hayes as part of his strongest team and just wants someone who can give him some competition and be a rotation option, rather than necessarily replace him (at least in the short-term). 

Quite possibly this.

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Sadly, I agree. 
Jonny “works hard & runs about” 
That’s the main criteria for Robson seemingly. 
Technical ability comes 2nd.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

46 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Devlin is probably at his ceiling but he's a good player at this level, in spite of his dip in form post-WC.

To say Rowles and Atkinson have struggled with the step up in physicality would be an understatement. Aside from it obviously being a poorer level, that would be my biggest concern with signing Aussie-based defenders.