The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

This is starting to get very reminiscent of Hibs relegation under Butcher. If we lose to St Johnstone in midweek we are in serious serious trouble. 

Said that yesterday. That’s a really poor Aberdeen side. Poorest since Willie Millar was manager.

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What bubble are you referring to? We’ve not had a bubble to burst for months.

The bubble posted by a certain Aberdeen fan on a Saints thread. I'm beginning to think he may have been a tad premature. 

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Said that yesterday. That’s a really poor Aberdeen side. Poorest since Willie Millar was manager.

You obviously haven’t been watching us. I can’t think of a single post Miller manager who hasn’t put out a team just as dross at some stage.

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

That's a pretty daft comment on a lot of levels. Willie Miller's aberdeen side finished runners up to Rangers in all 3 competitions in 92/93. In 93/94 they finished 3 points behind Rangers having drawn 21 of 44 games, losing only 6. Turning 4 of those draws into wins would have seen them win the title. OK, it went a bit wrong in 94/95 but it was still a squad that contained Snelders, Wright, McKimmie, Irvine, Grant, Joe Miller, Jess, Booth, Dodds and Shearer. That's nowhere near our worst side of the last 30 years. 

And neither is this one, other than the chronic lack of width, which warnock has tried to address by bringing in Hoilett, there is a good side in there somewhere. There are so many of the players who just look so devoid of confidence.

No idea what’s happened to Gartenmann in the last couple of months. He’s gone from being excellent to unable to defend at all. He’s cost us a lot of goals in the last month by being totally indecisive. MacDonald has to come back in on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

No idea what’s happened to Gartenmann in the last couple of months. He’s gone from being excellent to unable to defend at all. He’s cost us a lot of goals in the last month by being totally indecisive. MacDonald has to come back in on Wednesday.

Him and Jensen are a terrible combination. They both lack physicality and were completely bullied yesterday by Vassell, the 2nd goal being a great example. Hibs opening goal last weekend too gartenmann is completely bullied by the hibs forward. He’s rash too, gets dragged out of position a lot. 

Watson for killie got 2 chances yesterday from simple crosses in the box where he just drifted in between them without really having to do anything. 

Dare I say we actually miss the presence of big ruby in there? 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was going to put that, but thought “I can’t type that”. But now you’ve brought the elephant out, yes, our defending has undoubtedly gone to complete shit since Ruby has been out.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was going to put that, but thought “I can’t type that”. But now you’ve brought the elephant out, yes, our defending has undoubtedly gone to complete shit since Ruby has been out.

Yes, I chose my words carefully so as not to say we miss Ruby, but the presence of him. We’re undoubtedly a complete soft touch, not helped by a midfield that’s similarly weak and leaving them exposed.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, I chose my words carefully so as not to say we miss Ruby, but the presence of him. We’re undoubtedly a complete soft touch, not helped by a midfield that’s similarly weak and leaving them exposed.

We had excellent spells in both our last two Pittodrie matches, but yesterday it was just insipid pish. 

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Him and Jensen are a terrible combination. They both lack physicality and were completely bullied yesterday by Vassell, the 2nd goal being a great example. Hibs opening goal last weekend too gartenmann is completely bullied by the hibs forward. He’s rash too, gets dragged out of position a lot. 

Watson for killie got 2 chances yesterday from simple crosses in the box where he just drifted in between them without really having to do anything. 

IMO, Ruby is a massive miss. 

One of the stattos on Twitter had a post where he goes a bit in depth on how much more than the average CB he was expected to do.

Rubezic is raw, but at least he is happy enough competing for basic defensive headers.

Gartenmann and Jensen both look like they need to be alongside someone of that ilk.

Even top class defenders sometimes have bad chemistry eg Miller/Hansen 82.

I think these two are both potentially ok players if they have the right partner - that is clearly not each other.

Haste ye back Slobba

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Rubezic is raw, but at least he is happy enough competing for basic defensive headers.

Gartenmann and Jensen both look like they need to be alongside someone of that ilk.

Even top class defenders sometimes have bad chemistry eg Miller/Hansen 82.

I think these two are both potentially ok players if they have the right partner - that is clearly not each other.

Haste ye back Slobba

Ruby, Gartenmann and Jensen were signed to play in a back 3 - Ruby winning the ball and the other two covering for him. I would guess that Williams was Ruby's backup, but of course circumstances now mean that we don't have the natural ball winner in there, although MacDonald in for one of them makes sense at least until the big man is back.

For now though, we should absolutely try and keep it on the deck and play to our strengths. Some of the criticism of Warnock has been simply infantile, but he knows Barron, Clarkson and Polvara aren't blood and thunder types - so lets play to their strengths and do what we can to avoid the next few games turning into physical slogfests at least, and see if we can find a bit of quality in the final third.

15 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Ruby, Gartenmann and Jensen were signed to play in a back 3 - Ruby winning the ball and the other two covering for him. I would guess that Williams was Ruby's backup, but of course circumstances now mean that we don't have the natural ball winner in there, although MacDonald in for one of them makes sense at least until the big man is back.

For now though, we should absolutely try and keep it on the deck and play to our strengths. Some of the criticism of Warnock has been simply infantile, but he knows Barron, Clarkson and Polvara aren't blood and thunder types - so lets play to their strengths and do what we can to avoid the next few games turning into physical slogfests at least, and see if we can find a bit of quality in the final third.

One of our main problems at the moment is that we're not winning any 50/50 challenges, not many 60/40s and a few 70/30s. We are being bullied off the ball which is why Warnock is saying we need to be nastier. We have to start going in for the ball expecting to win it, and coming out of challenges with it. That seeming lack of commitment is really doing my head in recently.