The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that it was Dumbarton, I do, but what the f*ck has happened to Pape Habib Guèye? I think I’ve seen all of the minutes that he’s played for us up until today...

How many minutes did he even have to show anything last year? Must have had about 100 minutes total over the whole year

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I know that it was Dumbarton, I do, but what the f*ck has happened to Pape Habib Guèye? I think I’ve seen all of the minutes that he’s played for us up until today and he looked as if he’d never seen a ball before. He was superb today when he came on, good runs, good passes, good skill and one great shot from around 25 yards. Mitov had nothing to do, I thought that overall Molloy looks like a good player, Vinnie looked interested when he came on, Morris has a tendency just to stop when he loses the ball and I just love Jack MacKenzie.

I’d play Guèye ahead of Morris next week.

Mitov. 
Devlin Rubezic Molloy MacKenzie. 
                Nilsen Shinnie. 
      McGrath Clarkson Guèye. 
                      Miovski 

PS - I know Sokler will play ahead of Miovski 

As enjoyable as Gueye's performance was, I would be really sceptical about reading pretty much anything into it, simply as I am struggling to recall a capitulation quite like Dumbarton's in the second half today. It was nice to watch from our point of view, but it was like being back at school when you would get challenged to a lunchtime game by an older year, they would go about 8-0 ahead and you would literally just have to give up. 

27 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

As enjoyable as Gueye's performance was, I would be really sceptical about reading pretty much anything into it, simply as I am struggling to recall a capitulation quite like Dumbarton's in the second half today. It was nice to watch from our point of view, but it was like being back at school when you would get challenged to a lunchtime game by an older year, they would go about 8-0 ahead and you would literally just have to give up. 

I didn't see today but it looked like we did not set up in any way to suit him in his previous minutes.

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I know that it was Dumbarton, I do, but what the f*ck has happened to Pape Habib Guèye? I think I’ve seen all of the minutes that he’s played for us up until today and he looked as if he’d never seen a ball before. He was superb today when he came on, good runs, good passes, good skill and one great shot from around 25 yards. Mitov had nothing to do, I thought that overall Molloy looks like a good player, Vinnie looked interested when he came on, Morris has a tendency just to stop when he loses the ball and I just love Jack MacKenzie.

I suspect pape will still not make the grade as I think opposition played a big part. But I can at least move on from complete bewilderment at why we looked at this guy to seeing a bit of technique and the physicality that would’ve have attracted us. 

I get that his chances were limited last year but he really did look like a competition winner at times when it came to touch etc. 

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I get that his chances were limited last year but he really did look like a competition winner at times when it came to touch etc. 

I think he played and scored more in the Belgian top flight than Shankland did.

Always imagined he must have something about him - but as stated before, many of our fans generally don’t take to big target men types (despite the fact we have struggled badly against that type over the years).

Thelin mentioned playing Guèye in a different role - he could be on to something, and there are 500,000 reasons why we should hope he is.

14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Always imagined he must have something about him - but as stated before, many of our fans generally don’t take to big target men types (despite the fact we have struggled badly against that type over the years).

Thelin mentioned playing Guèye in a different role - he could be on to something, and there are 500,000 reasons why we should hope he is.

That's the issue though, he doesn't play like a big target type.

See Cosgrove and Theo Bair.

14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The times he was on the pitch last season, not much admittedly, he didn't even look like a footballer. On Saturday he was superb in everything he did. I've said already that it was only Dumbarton, but...

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The times he was on the pitch last season, not much admittedly, he didn't even look like a footballer. On Saturday he was superb in everything he did. I've said already that it was only Dumbarton, but...

Feels harsh that we give the man praise then get accused of anti target man bias. 

Aye, it was only Dumbarton and they had already folded when Guèye come on. But he unqeuestionably looked very sharp. I would speculate that the difference between his feelting and sometimes laughable contributions last September, and the Guèye we saw on Saturday, is that he is fresh from playing regularly for 4 months in Norway - last year he came in after 4 months of nothing. 

Will be interesting to see if he can build on that against tougher opposition. He might revert to being a big galoot. Hopefully he can kick on and justify some of that transfer fee.

Edited by bpdon

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the time that has elapsed, confirmation from Scott Burns that Hoilett has rejected our contract offer and that we have “moved on”.

A real shame - a huge asset when he was up to speed, especially when it came to opening up teams sitting in low blocks and giving us a genuine threat from set plays. 

18 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Leighton Clarkson apparently missed this mornings open training session as he was off for an x-ray. ☹️

Hopefully it's nothing too serious, as we're desperately lacking cover in that area.

Hopefully not serious, he was looking like he was getting back to his best in these games.

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the time that has elapsed, confirmation from Scott Burns that Hoilett has rejected our contract offer and that we have “moved on”.

A real shame - a huge asset when he was up to speed, especially when it came to opening up teams sitting in low blocks and giving us a genuine threat from set plays. 

I'd forgotten about him tbh but aye, he was a class player and would've been brilliant for us. He's probably got plenty clubs interested in him though.

38 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Leighton Clarkson apparently missed this mornings open training session as he was off for an x-ray. ☹️

Hopefully it's nothing too serious, as we're desperately lacking cover in that area.

Hmm. That would be a blow for an already very thin squad. Clarkson has started the season well and I don't think we have an obvious replacement.

He did take a knock on Saturday now I think about it - looked like his shoulder he was nursing at the time. Hopefully its just a precaution if he is still feeling some discomfort.

On 29/07/2024 at 11:03, bpdon said:

Aye, it was only Dumbarton and they had already folded when Guèye come on. But he unqeuestionably looked very sharp. I would speculate that the difference between his feelting and sometimes laughable contributions last September, and the Guèye we saw on Saturday, is that he is fresh from playing regularly for 4 months in Norway - last year he came in after 4 months of nothing. 

Will be interesting to see if he can build on that against tougher opposition. He might revert to being a big galoot. Hopefully he can kick on and justify some of that transfer fee.

Pape skied a shot at today's training session hitting someone sitting in the RDS in the face. He then put in a tasty tackle on Sokler during the practice game.

(to be fair to Pape he went over to the fan to check they had recovered).

Everyone took part except MacDonald (who had a physio doing 1 to 1 exercises with him), and Clarkson who appeared on the touchline briefly.

2 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

McGrath can play the 10, he’s just as capable in any of the roles behind the striker. The issue then is who plus wide. We have plenty 10’s.  Fletcher Boyd as well. 

3 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

McGrath, Boyd, Besuijen, Duncan, Gueye can all play there, with varying degrees of ability right enough 

6 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Scott Burns saying we’re trying to sign him.