The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

My feelings are the same as they were towards Mackie.

While he was with us, anger and frustration at him continually playing and getting new deals, with some probably unfair resentment towards him. Once he left that subsides and you can wish all the best to someone who just loved being there so stayed as long as they could.

That's my take on it, we've had worse in my memory.

Nae that milked a wage for 10 years. To think he'll retire on my money makes me sick. 1 game in 10 years a keeper does not make, no less a legend like some are saying.

Let's not forget he nearly cost us the cup by dropping the ball on his 6 yard line.

Nae that milked a wage for 10 years. To think he'll retire on my money makes me sick. 1 game in 10 years a keeper does not make, no less a legend like some are saying.

Let's not forget he nearly cost us the cup by dropping the ball on his 6 yard line.

"Nearly"

Leighton nearly cost us the cup winners cup by conceding that penalty. Didn't though, did he?

Stuff nearly happens all the time in football. It's the stuff that does happen that we remember. Langfield saved a pen in front of 43,000 dandies to win us the cup. That was magic. Over ten years he's been average as hell but with that save he created the best day of my Dons supporting career and he deserves thanks!

We can't blame Langfield too much, our main problem was that we never really tried to get someone better in until now. All the other goalies brought in over the years were less than or equal to him.

He cost us a number of points/games over the years but he also made some crucial saves. The cup semi against St Johnstone was fairly even (though we were 1-0 up) when he made a fantastic save to maintain our lead. We went on to win 4-0 that day but things could have been different if that shot had gone in. A single example isn't the best but it sticks out in my mind.

His shot-stopping was his saving grace, he generally came out on top in 1-on-1 situations which helped balance out the numerous howlers.

Don't get me wrong, I was up out of my seat many times going nuts at some of his antics but he was the best the club had and thats not his fault. All the best I say, player/coach role at St Mirren most likely since Paul Mathers has left to go to Rangers.

And yes, I hate to think what his coaching would be like.............

We can't blame Langfield too much, our main problem was that we never really tried to get someone better in until now. All the other goalies brought in over the years were less than or equal to him.

He cost us a number of points/games over the years but he also made some crucial saves. The cup semi against St Johnstone was fairly even (though we were 1-0 up) when he made a fantastic save to maintain our lead. We went on to win 4-0 that day but things could have been different if that shot had gone in. A single example isn't the best but it sticks out in my mind.

His shot-stopping was his saving grace, he generally came out on top in 1-on-1 situations which helped balance out the numerous howlers.

Don't get me wrong, I was up out of my seat many times going nuts at some of his antics but he was the best the club had and thats not his fault. All the best I say, player/coach role at St Mirren most likely since Paul Mathers has left to go to Rangers.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Clangers. Unquestionably a limited keeper who wasn't going to be good enough to challenge consistently for honours. But his passion for the club and strength in 1-on-1 situations has been admirable over the years.

That he has never been replaced until now isn't the lad's fault, but rather that of successive management teams who have failed to bring in better keepers. Even Scott Brown is of a similar mould and has some similar issues as Langfield does.

Always thankful for the cup run and cup final saves from Clangers, gave me and my group of friends the best 3 days of supporting the club since we all started going around the turn of the century. All the best Jamie at St Mirren, hopefully it brings him more success.

Langfield said himself he's like marmite to the Dons fans, at least he's honest.

He'll not be remembered as one of the great no.1's but he's far from the worst as others seem to be perceiving. Yes he's had more than his fair share of blunders and they might stick out more because a goalkeeping error is highlighted more often. However, the number of good games far outweigh the bad and I wish him all the best in his post-Aberdeen career.

"Nearly"

Leighton nearly cost us the cup winners cup by conceding that penalty. Didn't though, did he?

Stuff nearly happens all the time in football. It's the stuff that does happen that we remember. Langfield saved a pen in front of 43,000 dandies to win us the cup. That was magic. Over ten years he's been average as hell but with that save he created the best day of my Dons supporting career and he deserves thanks!

Well, McLeish cost us that goal, and the conditions were horrid. Clangers only dropped a cross in near perfect conditions.

I'll never get over St Mirren at home, the Dundee Utd semi (which I couldn't make with it being rearranged thankfully) and the Ibrox semi. He also made a huge blunder to let Griffiths in against Dundee in the league cup. All games where he has fucked our chances of a trophy. One swallow doesn't make a summer I'm afraid. And that's without even touching earlier cup games or league games.

I'll never get over St Mirren at home,

Some life you must lead.

All the best to Clangers, not a great keeper but certainly not the worst we've had and not the demon some people are trying to make him out as.

Edited by Menzel

Some life you must lead.

All the best to Clangers, not a great keeper but certainly not the worst we've had and not the demon some people are trying to make him out as.

To go out to St Mirren, who then went on to beat Celtic and win the League Cup. That's a honker. An absolute sickener. Hearts Caley and Celtic left after that one game and crisp packet hands bottles it.

Spewing.

And yes, I hate to think what his coaching would be like.............

Spot on

Well, McLeish cost us that goal, and the conditions were horrid. Clangers only dropped a cross in near perfect conditions.

I'll never get over St Mirren at home, the Dundee Utd semi (which I couldn't make with it being rearranged thankfully) and the Ibrox semi. He also made a huge blunder to let Griffiths in against Dundee in the league cup. All games where he has fucked our chances of a trophy. One swallow doesn't make a summer I'm afraid. And that's without even touching earlier cup games or league games.

Our team on a whole at that point was rotten. The fact is that Langfield has been part of the two best teams I remember (Calderwood 07, McInnes 14) and even though he was the weakest link in those teams he tried his best and was never bettered by any other keeper we had.

Name a keeper we've had since him who's been better. Not even Man City loanee Gonzalez was any good.

Our team on a whole at that point was rotten. The fact is that Langfield has been part of the two best teams I remember (Calderwood 07, McInnes 14) and even though he was the weakest link in those teams he tried his best and was never bettered by any other keeper we had.

Name a keeper we've had since him who's been better. Not even Man City loanee Gonzalez was any good.

danny ward ;)

He was rotten. Langers ain't great but I wonder if anyone would take the following we've had ahead of him.

Ryan Esson (who Langers replaced), Derek Souttar, Bertrand Bossu, Mark Howard, Jason Brown, Dan Twardzik, Nicky Weaver and Scott Brown (there must be others I've missed). S Brown is the only debatable one out that list but I don't think he's any better/worse than Langfield.

There is an argument, with hindsight, that we made a mistake letting Bain go given his progression at Dundee but he couldn't have been overly impressive during his time with us otherwise he would've been kept on.

To go out to St Mirren, who then went on to beat Celtic and win the League Cup. That's a honker. An absolute sickener. Hearts Caley and Celtic left after that one game and crisp packet hands bottles it.

Spewing.

Axes to grind all over the shop. Why haven't you posted about any other players in such games?