The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

On Gallagher, clearly a capable defender but is no one else put off by the way its ending at Motherwell for him? Seems to be acting the c**t a bit.

It's more his age I worry about. He is roughly the same age as Ash Taylor so there's no resale value. He'll likely want a decent contract as this is his last real chance at making decent money. Would I take him on a similar wage to Ash? Yes. Is he twice as good as Ash Taylor? Probably not. 

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's more his age I worry about. He is roughly the same age as Ash Taylor so there's no resale value. He'll likely want a decent contract as this is his last real chance at making decent money. Would I take him on a similar wage to Ash? Yes. Is he twice as good as Ash Taylor? Probably not. 

Possibly, I'd like to think if it became a bidding war with other clubs we wouldn't shoot our load to get him.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Griffiths is undoubtedly the most talented Scottish striker in the country.

However, as he's proven time and time again, he's mentally weak. A kind of slightly improved version of Riordan and O'Connor, but still someone who has massively under-achieved.

For that reason, it's a big, fat No from me. Let him go back to his comfort blanket at Hibs where he can cuddle up with his mates.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Griffiths is undoubtedly the most talented Scottish striker in the country.

However, as he's proven time and time again, he's mentally weak. A kind of slightly improved version of Riordan and O'Connor, but still someone who has massively under-achieved.

For that reason, it's a big, fat No from me. Let him go back to his comfort blanket at Hibs where he can cuddle up with his mates.

We've enough crocks and underperformers without signing another. If we've money to pay Griffith's (probably) fairly substantial wages, I think we should spend it on someone else.

On Scott Brown, I can't see him playing a lot of 90 minutes, he'll probably be brought on in the last 20 odd minutes to shore things up/kick shite out of the opposition. Alternatively he'll start and be taken off after 20 minutes having been booked and crippled the opposition's playmaker.

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is the part of Dave being committed to making Glass a success that worries me tbh.

Yep, you can imagine Cormack coming over all Stewart Donald signing Will Grigg on the last day of the transfer window in STID. 

Just now, Golden Gordon said:

Yep, you can imagine Cormack coming over all Stewart Donald signing Will Grigg on the last day of the transfer window in STID. 

Hahaha not seen it but did read about that in The Athletic.

Basically Jack Ross didn't think he was worth more than £1m. Chairman was determined to land him and paid something wild. Grigg flopped badly.

I think Cormack's primary backing will be signing the two coaches Glass wanted - Scott Brown and Allan Russell. They won't be cheap.

We may even see a few Atlanta 2 players arriving on loan. Aberdeen will probably try and share resources with Atlanta to help us through this pandemic.

I genuinely don't think we'll make that many signings. Despite a large amount of deadwood set to leave at the end of the season we will still have a decent nucleus to the squad (McCrorie, Campbell, Fergie, Lewis, McLennan etc).

Declan Gallagher and a decent forward might sign but apart from that I think the replacements will come in the form of promoting youth players. Bruce Anderson has also been offered a new contract. I hope I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I think Cormack's primary backing will be signing the two coaches Glass wanted - Scott Brown and Allan Russell. They won't be cheap.

We may even see a few Atlanta 2 players arriving on loan. Aberdeen will probably try and share resources with Atlanta to help us through this pandemic.

I genuinely don't think we'll make that many signings. Despite a large amount of deadwood set to leave at the end of the season we will still have a decent nucleus to the squad (McCrorie, Campbell, Fergie, Lewis, McLennan etc).

Declan Gallagher and a decent forward might sign but apart from that I think the replacements will come in the form of promoting youth players. Bruce Anderson has also been offered a new contract. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully if we are loaning Atlanta Utd. 2 players, the saving grace would be that Glass will be familiar with them & there isn't a repeat of Gallagher. 

I also hope he can back up his claims about player development and bring some of the young players on. 

Bit harsh on Anderson though, it seemed he pissed on his chips with McInnes because of the Covid-8 thing and was frozen out, going by his comments on feeling wanted at Hamilton. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

On Gallagher, clearly a capable defender but is no one else put off by the way its ending at Motherwell for him? Seems to be acting the c**t a bit.

Said it in our thread the other week - he's been an absolutely abysmal captain for us.

He was an obvious choice for the role but we've seen f**k all leadership on the park and he really set the tone on the opening day by lunging into a needless challenge to give County their penalty. The drop in standards since Hartley and Tait left and we've filled the squad with Declan's pals hasn't gone unnoticed.

Even overlooking the "reasons" he'd disappeared from the side over the last couple of months he and his missus getting involved in spats with fans in the comments isn't really a good look and it's notable that despite him having recovered from his "injury"/huff Alexander wasn't starting him.

Clearly i've no idea what's the manager sees day to day but it's difficult to argue that barring a couple of obvious exceptions our results/form/performances had actually been better without him in the side - despite the fact that on paper he's our "best" defender. I mean his competition is Ricki Lamie, Bevis Mugabi, Nathan McGinley and Tyler Magloire, it's a pretty fucking low bar.

We'd won 1 in 14 with Gallagher starting and taken 8 points from 13 league games in that time. We subsequently won 4 in 9 (with 1 draw) taking 13 points from 9 league games without him in the starting XI. Clearly it's harsh to dump that all at Gallagher's door but there was definitely an uptick without him and given our form this season there's no guarantee that we'd have won those games with him.

When Robinson was on his way out the door he was talking about players whose agents had been in their ears making promises about moves and their clients (I'm paraphrasing here) thinking they're better than they are.

The general thought was he was taking dig at Chris Long but looking at his season overall it wouldn't be a surprise if Gallagher fell into that category as he's been a complacent shadow of what we saw last season (and for Scotland recently). It'll be interesting to see whether Clarke dropping him for Hanley last night gives him a boot up the arse and acts as a reminder that he's maybe not the indispensable International Class defender he maybe thinks he is.

In terms of what Cormack chucks your money at I suppose it depends which version of Gallagher you get (assuming you offer a package that meets his expectations).

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

I wonder if we'll try for Jack Hendry given the Broony link? I don't particularly rate him to be fair, just joining the dots.

I think the Belgians have a signing fee of a couple of million agreed that they plan to take? Even been talk of them doing that just so they can sell him on at a profit.

He's not out of contract so doubt theres much/any chance of coming to us?

I'd hope there are a few more than those mentioned planned on being brought in. I think we're losing close to a dozen players at the end of the season?

Giving the manager a 12 month deal and then not letting him replace most of those leaving feels like it'd be cutting his knees off from the start and seems unlikely given Cormack's claims so far.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I think the Belgians have a signing fee of a couple of million agreed that they plan to take? Even been talk of them doing that just so they can sell him on at a profit.

He's not out of contract so doubt theres much/any chance of coming to us?

Ahh, I assumed he was out of contract at the end of his loan there. Should have done my due dilligence!

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Said it in our thread the other week - he's been an absolutely abysmal captain for us.

He was an obvious choice for the role but we've seen f**k all leadership on the park and he really set the tone on the opening day by lunging into a needless challenge to give County their penalty. The drop in standards since Hartley and Tait left and we've filled the squad with Declan's pals hasn't gone unnoticed.

Even overlooking the "reasons" he'd disappeared from the side over the last couple of months he and his missus getting involved in spats with fans in the comments isn't really a good look and it's notable that despite him having recovered from his "injury"/huff Alexander wasn't starting him.

Clearly i've no idea what's the manager sees day to day but it's difficult to argue that barring a couple of obvious exceptions our results/form/performances had actually been better without him in the side - despite the fact that on paper he's our "best" defender. I mean his competition is Ricki Lamie, Bevis Mugabi, Nathan McGinley and Tyler Magloire, it's a pretty fucking low bar.

We'd won 1 in 14 with Gallagher starting and taken 8 points from 13 league games in that time. We subsequently won 4 in 9 (with 1 draw) taking 13 points from 9 league games without him in the starting XI. Clearly it's harsh to dump that all at Gallagher's door but there was definitely an uptick without him and given our form this season there's no guarantee that we'd have won those games with him.

When Robinson was on his way out the door he was talking about players whose agents had been in their ears making promises about moves and their clients (I'm paraphrasing here) thinking they're better than they are.

The general thought was he was taking dig at Chris Long but looking at his season overall it wouldn't be a surprise if Gallagher fell into that category as he's been a complacent shadow of what we saw last season (and for Scotland recently). It'll be interesting to see whether Clarke dropping him for Hanley last night gives him a boot up the arse and acts as a reminder that he's maybe not the indispensable International Class defender he maybe thinks he is.

In terms of what Cormack chucks your money at I suppose it depends which version of Gallagher you get (assuming you offer a package that meets his expectations).

So you're a fan then?

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's no way he's going to replace almost 10 out of contract experienced players with youth. There's also fat to trim off the wage bill now we've signed Brown to play CM.

Cormack said it himself "you will see some announcements in the next few weeks of players that will add real value to our squad."

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Interestingly I was on transfermrkt and it looks like Scott Brown and Gallagher are represented by the same agency. Probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but that could be something else that works in our 'favour'.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So you're a fan then?

Ha! Actually I am.

Overall for a player we signed on a free from Livi and had no real expectations for other than hoping he'd be decent he'd fall on the "success" side of things. Had last season completed he'd probably have ended up our POTY and it'd have been fully deserved. He fully deserved all the praise he was getting and the fact that he's made the step up to international football the way he has is a massive credit to him.

Don't get me wrong he's still been decent enough in games and as I said objectively he's still our "best" defender but overall this season he's seemed miles off it (relatively speaking).

Whether that's down to not having a player like Hartley alongside him to keep him in check, having a shite time with lockdown, him not being suited to having the captaincy (we saw a drop off from Carl McHugh when he took the armband as well), he's had an eye on a move or he's just got complacent IDK but watching him lunge into tackles, rugby tackling attackers in the box or just fresh air swiping at clearances the difference between him between this season and last has been night and day.

That's before you take his whole "gun to the head" patter in the press and clapping back at fans on the socials which has definitely compounded things in terms of any goodwill he has.

Edited by capt_oats