The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ha! Actually I am.

Overall for a player we signed on a free from Livi and had no real expectations for other than hoping he'd be decent he'd fall on the "success" side of things. Had the season completed he'd probably have ended up our POTY and it'd have been fully deserved. He fully deserved all the praise he was getting and the fact that he's made the step up to international football the way he has is a massive credit to him.

Don't get me wrong he's still been decent enough in games and as I said objectively he's still our "best" defender but overall this season he's seemed miles off it (relatively speaking).

Whether that's down to not having a player like Hartley alongside him to keep him in check, having a shite time with lockdown, him not being suited to having the captaincy (we saw a drop off from Carl McHugh when he took the armband as well), he's had an eye on a move or he's just got complacent IDK but watching him lunge into tackles, rugby tackling attackers in the box or just fresh air swiping at clearances the difference between him between this season and last has been night and day.

That's before you take his whole "gun to the head" patter in the press and clapping back at fans on the socials which has definitely compounded things in terms of any goodwill he has.

Despite it looking like you not getting a fee or a contract extension you've probably made the money spent on his wages etc back from the third place finish and potential Euros compensation alone.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ha! Actually I am.

Overall for a player we signed on a free from Livi and had no real expectations for other than hoping he'd be decent he'd fall on the "success" side of things. Had the season completed he'd probably have ended up our POTY and it'd have been fully deserved. He fully deserved all the praise he was getting and the fact that he's made the step up to international football the way he has is a massive credit to him.

Don't get me wrong he's still been decent enough in games and as I said objectively he's still our "best" defender but overall this season he's seemed miles off it (relatively speaking).

Whether that's down to not having a player like Hartley alongside him to keep him in check, having a shite time with lockdown, him not being suited to having the captaincy (we saw a drop off from Carl McHugh when he took the armband as well), he's had an eye on a move or he's just got complacent IDK but watching him lunge into tackles, rugby tackling attackers in the box or just fresh air swiping at clearances the difference between him between this season and last has been night and day.

That's before you take his whole "gun to the head" patter in the press and clapping back at fans on the socials which has definitely compounded things in terms of any goodwill he has.

Aye it's not been a great look from the outside looking in.

He's clearly capable enough to form part of our defence but I'm always a little put off by all the stuff you've mentioned and I'm not sure he's that good that we need to be going all guns blazing for him.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

There's no way he's going to replace almost 10 out of contract experienced players with youth. There's also fat to trim off the wage bill now we've signed Brown to play CM.

Cormack said it himself "you will see some announcements in the next few weeks of players that will add real value to our squad."

Richard Gordon seemed to indicate last night Brown wasn’t coming here on mega wages 

The guy is likely a millionaire, money thankfully not the driver 

52 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Richard Gordon seemed to indicate last night Brown wasn’t coming here on mega wages 

The guy is likely a millionaire, money thankfully not the driver 

I'm not talking about his wages. If you include McCrorie then we have 6 CM's on the books for next season. That's without Virtanen potentially signing on and Conor Barron getting a look in.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not talking about his wages. If you include McCrorie then we have 6 CM's on the books for next season. That's without Virtanen potentially signing on and Conor Barron getting a look in.

How are you getting 6?

I count :

Ferguson 

McCrorie 

Campbell

Mcgeough (counts as 50% due to being made of glass and balsa wood) 

Brown 

With Brown being an auld c**t and Campbell lacking experience that doesn't seem too many. 

Don't tell me Ojo's only on loan? 

On 25/03/2021 at 14:00, Merkland Red said:

He absolutely was not signed as a back up initially. Anderson was coming to the end of his time and this was his replacement.

Taylor has been pretty good this season but has never grown out if thinking he can win every ball.

Allegedly Devlin will be offered a new deal. Has been fit for mist of the season but has a major fall out with McInnes. Probably bullshit of course.

Absolutely no chance Devlin stays. That would be baffling. Of course if he has no offers and he's willing to stay for £40k/year or something then maybe that changes things.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

How are you getting 6?

I count :

Ferguson 

McCrorie 

Campbell

Mcgeough (counts as 50% due to being made of glass and balsa wood) 

Brown 

With Brown being an auld c**t and Campbell lacking experience that doesn't seem too many. 

Don't tell me Ojo's only on loan? 

Im Sorry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

Absolutely no chance Devlin stays. That would be baffling. Of course if he has no offers and he's willing to stay for £40k/year or something then maybe that changes things.

I didn't think so either but there's been rumours for months that he's been fit for the majority of the season and had a major fall out with McInnes.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Im Sorry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

I would think Virtanen will get another year to show his worth. In fact I would think all the out of contract youths will get another year if Glass is to promote more youths. Last thing he'll want is to release a young player without seeing them play, only to go on and do well elsewhere. Would be very much against the clubs 'vision'.

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

I would think Virtanen will get another year to show his worth. In fact I would think all the out of contract youths will get another year if Glass is to promote more youths. Last thing he'll want is to release a young player without seeing them play, only to go on and do well elsewhere. Would be very much against the clubs 'vision'.

I think that's a fair summation but that doesn't help with numbers.

If we have Brown do we need McGeouch?

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think that's a fair summation but that doesn't help with numbers.

If we have Brown do we need McGeouch?

Brown would replace McCrorie for me*. Campbell is probably the most similar to McGeouch, although Campbell seems a lot more robust so far. I'd probably look to move McGeouch on actually. Definitely a good player in there, but serious question mark on how many games a season he will ever manage.

*In terms of style. Not advocating that, as I wouldn't want to stifle McCrorie's development to shoehorn Brown in to the team.

Edited by Illgresi

I know he's still young but I don't see anything in Dean Campbell to suggest he is a top six calibre midfielder. Just don't think there's anything about him at all. He's maybe semi-comfortable on the ball but never really progresses it forward.

We have an identity crisis in the team right now. We are absolutely nothing, not aggressive, don't have the players to play out from the back, don't have a big striker we can play off/pummel balls into the box two, don't get the ball wide, I literally don't know what style of team we are. Just an assortment of random players cobbled together who look directionless. The teams that over achieve the most are normally ones where you can clearly identify how they play. Any decision on players in/out should be made on the basis of what we are actually going for and whether that player suits what Glass wants to turn us into. 

2 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

It will be interesting to see if  "The Red" Scott Brown gets away with the fouls that "the Green"  Scott Brown gets away with or will the referees bring the cards out!!!!!

He won't and it'll be "he's slowing down as a player" type comments in support.