The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

59 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

It was obvious to most previously but was very hard not to appoint him based on his record.

He's a disciple of Derek though.

Yeh I agree. 
Aside from St Mirren at home, the performances & results post split were a concern.

I don’t think he’ll change the style even if he brings in the supposed 4 players we’re going to.

Tonio Teklic would’ve been on the first plane home tonight if we’d signed him. 

Not to have a shot on target is a concern concerning our attacking force on paper is our strongest part of our team. 

I did think we would have had our business done or the most one or two coming in before window closes but still look far to short 

On 04/08/2023 at 18:42, DunbartonshireRed said:

I don't think St Mirren would sell us Baccus for £300k tbh. We'd have to stump up more. Probably closer to £500k for us. 

I'd like to think there would be a premium for selling on to a club in the same division. Bolton bid was £275k and same again in add ons. I'd imagine £400-500k plus add ons would make it palatable for us. 

Baccus is worth more than £300k to us hanging about for a year instead of strengthening another side in our league at our own expense.

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Long ball tactics.

No attempts on target

Utter shite 

Was shocked how poor we were! Lumping high balls against Livingston! FFS! 

Morris is no football player! Duk and Clarkson looked off the pace I thought! Hopefully will improve the sharper they get! Never seen Hayes misplace so many passes! Very concerning but hopefully just early season wobbles! 

Edited by Sliv75

I don’t get the 3-5-2. Don’t have 3 fit centre half’s for starters. 
Most important positions of that formation are  the wing backs. Morris and Hayes are not those players. Limits the effectiveness of that shape massively. 
McKenzie was our best player, well done loon. Regularly slagged by a majority of the fans but he’s a player capable of doing a decent job. 
In comparison, a few superstars almost invisible today. 

Edited by 1GregStewart

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

I wouldn’t say McInnes was a long ball merchant at all.

Not the first couple of years.

I don't think it can be disputed that the tactics for the last four years or so were to go long to a big man and play for second balls or free kicks.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Not the first couple of years.

I don't think it can be disputed that the tactics for the last four years or so were to go long to a big man and play for second balls or free kicks.

I would say four years is a big exaggeration. We played good stuff up to 2017 which culminated in the best Dons team of recent times. The season after was decent as well. Not great the following year or two until lockdown but even in his last season, we had a pretty fluid front line with Hedges, Wright and Watkins before it all turned turgid. 

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I would say four years is a big exaggeration. We played good stuff up to 2017 which culminated in the best Dons team of recent times. The season after was decent as well. Not great the following year or two until lockdown but even in his last season, we had a pretty fluid front line with Hedges, Wright and Watkins before it all turned turgid. 

It was 2017 when Rodgers called us a long ball team.

Watched some of Kenny McLean on that Open Goal crap and he said he couldn't believe how direct we were for the players we had.

Prevents were good but the football was often beyond grim.

51 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

It was 2017 when Rodgers called us a long ball team.

Watched some of Kenny McLean on that Open Goal crap and he said he couldn't believe how direct we were for the players we had.

Prevents were good but the football was often beyond grim.

If you think the football we played in 2017 was beyond grim then there’s genuinely no pleasing you 😅

If that starting XI starts under Glass or Goodwin, we lose that game. 

Not that saying that makes the result any better. I do think a key thing we need to realise is that we took 16 points away from home all of last season. We lost this fixture last year. One thing that will help contribute to us finishing in a European place is taking more points away from home. 

Having said that, that was one of our more winnable games out of the first 7 games. 

Celtic (H), St Mirren (A), Hibs (H), Hearts (A), County (H) & Rangers (A).

Difficult start and do feel we need to be on 10+ points after we've been at Ibrox. Quite hard to see us doing that now. 

9 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

I don’t get the 3-5-2. Don’t have 3 fit centre half’s for starters. 
Most important positions of that formation are  the wing backs. Morris and Hayes are not those players. Limits the effectiveness of that shape massively. 
McKenzie was our best player, well done loon. Regularly slagged by a majority of the fans but he’s a player capable of doing a decent job. 
In comparison, a few superstars almost invisible today. 

Feels like Mciness when he stuck Kennedy at right wing back just before his time was up.

9 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Things were never the same after the 2017 cup final the last good team Aberdeen had. After the Scottish cup final that team broke up and when the down fall happened. Mciness linked with the Sunderland job and Rangers job that next season hurt us even more 

45 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Feels like Mciness when he stuck Kennedy at right wing back just before his time was up.

Things were never the same after the 2017 cup final the last good team Aberdeen had. After the Scottish cup final that team broke up and when the down fall happened. Mciness linked with the Sunderland job and Rangers job that next season hurt us even more 

We finished 2nd in 17/18 as well. Easy to forget how good we were that season too in what was probably the most competitive top half of the league in the last ten years or so.