The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Delighted with this signing. Superb stuff.

According to the Daily Record, Jensen will be registered in time for the Europa League match on Thursday.

I'd take Scales back. He is a good player. 400-500k absolute max. However we should have learned our lesson from the Ryan Christie debacle. No more dealings with Celtic. It's embarrassing how we've danced to their tune over Liam Scales.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Delighted with this signing. Superb stuff.

According to the Daily Record, Jensen will be registered in time for the Europa League match on Thursday.

I'd take Scales back. He is a good player. 400-500k absolute max. However we should have learned our lesson from the Ryan Christie debacle. No more dealings with Celtic. It's embarrassing how we've danced to their tune over Liam Scales.

The Jensen signing shows the exact opposite... 🤨

22 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Eh? He's literally one of two fit centrebacks we have right now.

Edited by gannonball

20 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It’s not a criticism of Celtic to be fair. Or mine never was anyway, it’s a frustration that it appeared we gave you all the negotiating power and left ourselves with our pants down. Celtic have to handle their own business. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

The Jensen signing shows the exact opposite... 🤨

Liam Scales was set to sign last Friday for a reported 1.1 million however as you know injury to Celtic's new signing meant it fell through. I appreciate why it did and the decision Celtic made however I don't agree with us spending such excessive amount on a player of his calibre. Celtic only paid 500k for him. He's barely kicked a ball for Celtic and last season (at the age of 24) was his first full campaign in full time football. Unlike Jensen he's also not been capped for his country. Celtic supposedly wanted an even greater figure when negotiations initially started. I don't think it's unreasonable to question Celtic's valuation for him and Aberdeen's decision to potentially break their record transfer fee for Scales. 

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/the-fee-celtic-were-expecting-to-get-for-liam-scales-as-aberdeen-move-on/

We should have moved our attention elsewhere when Celtic first declared their asking price - they know he's not worth anything near 1 million. As mentioned above, I agree, Celtic have to look out for themselves and can ask whatever price they wish for a player (even if its unreasonable).

I feel we could have concluded the Jensen deal at an earlier stage in the transfer window, integrated the player into the squad and therefore potentially had him available for the opening fixtures of this season. 400k for an international left sided centre back would appear to be brilliant business. 1.1 million for Scales is utter madness.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

10 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Liam Scales was set to sign last Friday for a reported 1.1 million however as you know injury to Celtic's new signing meant it fell through. I appreciate why it did and the decision Celtic made however I don't agree with us spending such excessive amount on a player of his calibre. Celtic only paid 500k for him. He's barely kicked a ball for Celtic and last season (at the age of 24) was his first full campaign in full time football. Unlike Jensen he's also not been capped for his country. Celtic supposedly wanted an even greater figure when negotiations initially started. I don't think it's unreasonable to question Celtic's valuation for him and Aberdeen's decision to potentially break their record transfer fee for Scales. 

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/the-fee-celtic-were-expecting-to-get-for-liam-scales-as-aberdeen-move-on/

We should have moved our attention elsewhere when Celtic first declared their asking price - they know he's not worth anything near 1 million. As mentioned above, I agree, Celtic have to look out for themselves and can ask whatever price they wish for a player (even if its unreasonable).

I feel we could have concluded the Jensen deal at an earlier stage in the transfer window, integrated the player into the squad and therefore potentially had him available for the opening fixtures of this season. 400k for an international left sided centre back would appear to be brilliant business. 1.1 million for Scales is utter madness.

Tbh the 500 grand we paid for him was nonesense anyway as he was out of contract in a few months and would have been too old for a development fee by then but Desmond has a decent share also in Shamrock Rovers so was just chucking cash their way. There was no need to get him sooner. If we got 7 figures  for Scales a few weeks ago I would have been laughing my hole off.

I could just about get onboard with the £750k being touted for Scales, especially considering the fees we dropped on Shady Mo and Jayden, but over a million Cormack Coins is wild.
It also doesn’t fit in with the recruitment model of buying talent low and flipping for a profit. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I find it hard to believe that Aberdeen contacted Gornik Zagreb, who incidentally I watched Aberdeen beat 5.0 in late 1970, negotiated a fee with them and a contract with Richard Jensen and presumably completed a medical, in three days. Which would have had to have happened if we were signing Liam Scales on Friday. 

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I find it hard to believe that Aberdeen contacted Gornik Zagreb, who incidentally I watched Aberdeen beat 5.0 in late 1970

Who were of course the runners-up in ECWC at the time, after losing to some then likeable enough side called Manchester City.

Actually reading a book on Polish football right now and a couple of random facts….

(I) Zabrze was known as Hindenburg until around 75 years back

(ii) Polish football was triggered into life int 1911 by local side Wisla (Krakow) playing a prestigious match against the touring side…Aberdeen FC.

The plucky Poles lost 8-1, but the sport was born in that nation.

Tangent…….apologies 

IMG_0415.jpeg

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Who were of course the runners-up in ECWC at the time, after losing to some then likeable enough side called Manchester City.

Actually reading a book on Polish football right now and a couple of random facts….

(I) Zabrze was known as Hindenburg until around 75 years back

(ii) Polish football was triggered into life int 1911 by local side Wisla (Krakow) playing a prestigious match against the touring side…Aberdeen FC.

The plucky Poles lost 8-1, but the sport was born in that nation.

Tangent…….apologies 

IMG_0415.jpeg

We blew them away that night. Right in the middle of Bobby Clark's fantastic shut out run.

16 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was being facetious. I liked scales and was also happy to have him back up to a point. 

My frustration was that it seemed like we had railroaded ourselves into paying stupid money for him by not pursuing other avenues. Clearly I was mistaken so I should apologise to the club in the most insincere way possible. 

Giving dosh to a rival is never good but helping them sell a player has it's advantages.

Stocktake:

Gk- Roos (Doohan, Ritchie) 

Rwb- Devlin (Morris, Dadia) 

CH- Rubi, MacDonald, Jensen (Williams, Milne, McKenzie, Stewart 

Lwb- McGarry (Hayes)? 

MF- Shinnie, Clarkson, McGrath (Polvara, Barron, Duncan, Besuijen, Marshall) 

ST- Duk, Miovski (Sokler, Bavidge) 

Stewart in Italics as he's not really an option. Bavidge in italics as he's not on official site - have i missed a loan announcement? 

Not a lot of strength in depth, particularly in midfield and central defence, but starting to shape up. Fair amount of unknown quantities too. 

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Stocktake:

Lwb- McGarry (Hayes)? 

Stewart in Italics as he's not really an option. Bavidge in italics as he's not on official site - have i missed a loan announcement? 

Not a lot of strength in depth, particularly in midfield and central defence, but starting to shape up. Fair amount of unknown quantities too. 

Looking at that XI, I'd take that over every non-OF sides tbh.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Stocktake:

Lwb- McGarry (Hayes)? 

Will we take the safe option tonight and play Devlin (thought he hasn't started a match at RWB for us) or will Morris start?  Similarly on the left it could be Hayes, McGarry, Duncan, or even McKenzie?  A few things to resolve.

6 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Will we take the safe option tonight and play Devlin (thought he hasn't started a match at RWB for us) or will Morris start?  Similarly on the left it could be Hayes, McGarry, Duncan, or even McKenzie?  A few things to resolve.

I think Devlin could be a better attacking option than Morris at wing back as well as being better defensively. I recall he got up the pitch  once against Livi and put in a dangerous early cross, surpassing Morris’ end product. Whether he’s as effective at getting up the pitch remains to be seen. 
The left is a mystery