The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It really concerns me that he’s so focused on ‘going after them’ as a positive. 

To my mind, especially in the second half, it’s what killed us. When we got it back to 2-1 we should have been far more patient and controlled. There was plenty of time. But instead it became a ludicrous game which the chances were we were going to lose due to the quality on the pitch for each side. 

He needs to be honest with himself about that and hopefully he is behind closed doors. 

Agreed. There were still 40+ minutes left in the match when we got it back to 2-1. We were playing like it was the last 5 minutes. That Miovski 1 on 1, still can't believe he put it wide. 

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

To my mind, especially in the second half, it’s what killed us. When we got it back to 2-1 we should have been far more patient and controlled. There was plenty of time. But instead it became a ludicrous game which the chances were we were going to lose due to the quality on the pitch for each side. 

He needs to be honest with himself about that and hopefully he is behind closed doors. 

Agree with this.

We have signed some talented players, but he decided that the best way to play this tie was try and make it a chaotic up-and-at-'em Scottish style game. 

There was significant tactical naivete there, where the opponents were able to pick us off at will. Hopefully lessons are learned for the group stages.  This is where Agnew maybe needs to come in and get Barry to cool his jets with this obsession with high energy high press/ in their faces etc - good sides will just play through that and expose you and I am not so sure a midfield containing Leighton Clarkson and Jamie McGrath should necessarily play that way anyway.

League points badly needed - Sunday is huge.

7 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

Agreed. There were still 40+ minutes left in the match when we got it back to 2-1. We were playing like it was the last 5 minutes. That Miovski 1 on 1, still can't believe he put it wide. 

Exemplified by when they hit the post. Their keeper collects it and lobs a ball into their midfielder in the centre circle with nobody within a 10 yard radius, just turns and runs. Mental, mental stuff. 

The sooner this back 3 experiment is binned the fucking better. f**k knows who we'll sign today but it has to be, for me, minimum 2 players who walk into our starting lineup. 

1 being a defensive midfielder and I'd actually be looking at bringing in another defender because our centre backs are all slow as f**k. And to top it off...Williams is the slowest of them all so no point hoping he'll inject some pace. 

46 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

The sooner this back 3 experiment is binned the fucking better. f**k knows who we'll sign today but it has to be, for me, minimum 2 players who walk into our starting lineup. 

1 being a defensive midfielder and I'd actually be looking at bringing in another defender because our centre backs are all slow as f**k. And to top it off...Williams is the slowest of them all so no point hoping he'll inject some pace. 

Don't agree we need 2 players to walk in to the line up. I think that starting XI last night is the 3rd best in the division but I wouldn't play them with a back three.

To me, he can mask the slow defence by going 4-3-3. That way we're not exposed if the wing backs get caught up the park.

Morris is so good at getting us up the pitch that I wouldn't give up on him, but he would be the forward man in a 3 with Duk on the left, Miovski through the middle.

Screenshot_20230901-100235.png

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I was with the family visiting friends and went to the match with my son and thought we'd try and get some photos or autographs after the match for him.

Plenty of other players took less than a minute out of their time to create the memory of a lifetime.

Sadly "big names" like Miovski, Duk, Shinnie and one or two others decided to avoid leaving by the main entrance to avoid the small number of folk in a similar position.

That's so poor on them, in fact it's dreadful behaviour towards the fans, I'm surprised the club themselves allow it to happen. Huge credit to the players and staff who did spend time. It honestly took seconds out of their time.

On the game and as an outsider looking in, Shinnie needs replaced or helped in the middle of the park with somebody other than Clarkson who's wasted by playing so deep.

Some of Hacken's best play came through their middle third with Gustafson, Rygaard and Amane having time and space to receive the ball and get their team up the pitch. Sadiq will rightly get the headlines for his goal but Gustafson is the type of player who would do a really good job for Aberdeen if he ever became available. He tired as the game went on but had a big influence in the away teams performance on the night.

First time at Pittodrie since a cup game when Ally MacLeod was manager and really enjoyed the visit apart from some players decision making after the match. Apologies for all of the above, if that's what always happens.

To be fair I can’t understand people who stand outside after a game especially after a defeat. As you say big names. It’s will be a sore one for them losing. We park in the car park across from main stand. We were early as went grab bite to eat at the golf club. We arrived same time as the players. They stopped for photos and signed everybody who was waiting. Even grabbed a Duk autograph for the loon. 
To me it’s about right time you catch them. Before the game or if you want after maybe best wait till it’s a win? 

6 minutes ago, Moorie said:

To be fair I can’t understand people who stand outside after a game especially after a defeat. As you say big names. It’s will be a sore one for them losing. We park in the car park across from main stand. We were early as went grab bite to eat at the golf club. We arrived same time as the players. They stopped for photos and signed everybody who was waiting. Even grabbed a Duk autograph for the loon. 
To me it’s about right time you catch them. Before the game or if you want after maybe best wait till it’s a win? 

My son is nine and we were only there for a one off visit.

All the best for the season, especially against the dark side of Ayrshire.

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I'm not a fan of the three and thought we were forced into it last season by having no proper full backs. I don't know if McGarry is up to LB defensively, just haven't seen enough of him. Seen enough of Devlin, including at Livi, to be apprehensive about trusting him at RB. Plus we have three first choice centre backs now. I think the back three will be here to stay. 

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I’ll say it now.

Barry Robson isn’t good enough to be Aberdeen manager. 

And that’s not just based on tonight. 

I was skeptical about us appointing an inexperienced manager after the disastrous back to back tenures of both Glass and Goodwin, however I couldn’t really dispute Robson had earned the position after a remarkable turn of results that led to European group stage football under his guidance. He essentially forced the hand of Cormack and the board. I felt more assured in his appointment given Agnew would be accompanying him. It’s his over reliance in deploying 3-5-2 and certain team selections that has me currently questioning Robson’s tactical aptitude. There doesn’t seem to be a contingency plan when things aren’t working. Morris playing at right wing back doesn’t appear to be effective and yet we have a more favorable alternative in Devlin.

He still has credit in the bank from last season’s heroics but it’ll start to dwindle if results don’t improve soon. The board have shown faith in him and unquestionably backed him this summer. It’s over to him to get the best out of what is a good squad of players.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Don't agree we need 2 players to walk in to the line up. I think that starting XI last night is the 3rd best in the division but I wouldn't play them with a back three.

To me, he can mask the slow defence by going 4-3-3. That way we're not exposed if the wing backs get caught up the park.

Morris is so good at getting us up the pitch that I wouldn't give up on him, but he would be the forward man in a 3 with Duk on the left, Miovski through the middle.

Screenshot_20230901-100235.png

Could be a way back into the team for Vinnie with that formation.

That said, I think the signing of Gueye would indicate that we’ll be mostly playing two up top.

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I was with the family visiting friends and went to the match with my son and thought we'd try and get some photos or autographs after the match for him.

Plenty of other players took less than a minute out of their time to create the memory of a lifetime.

Sadly "big names" like Miovski, Duk, Shinnie and one or two others decided to avoid leaving by the main entrance to avoid the small number of folk in a similar position.

That's so poor on them, in fact it's dreadful behaviour towards the fans, I'm surprised the club themselves allow it to happen. Huge credit to the players and staff who did spend time. It honestly took seconds out of their time.

I think they are usually very good at doing autographs etc before games, the club is always posting pics of players with fans before matches.  Not sure about afterwards, esp after a big letdown like last night. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If we had qualified for the Europa League playing like that, we'd be looking at 6 absolute pastings.

We have the players in midfield to play with more control, it's baffling that we don't want to do it, even as a plan B. There's a place for up and at 'em football but not all the time, and definitely not when it doesn't play to the strengths of your best players.

Slightly disagree with some of the Duk criticism I'm seeing elsewhere. I thought last night was his best performance this season, glorious first-half miss aside. I thought he was really direct and lively in the second half. Much more like Duk of last season, just without a goal to show for it. 

11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Slightly disagree with some of the Duk criticism I'm seeing elsewhere. I thought last night was his best performance this season, glorious first-half miss aside. I thought he was really direct and lively in the second half. Much more like Duk of last season, just without a goal to show for it. 

I agree to an extent. I didn’t think he was great but we saw flashes. Both his first half chances come from duk of old (chasing down a centre half and creating one for himself) and the penalty win is duk of old too. 

There’s definitely something a wee bit off though. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'm not a fan of the three and thought we were forced into it last season by having no proper full backs. I don't know if McGarry is up to LB defensively, just haven't seen enough of him. Seen enough of Devlin, including at Livi, to be apprehensive about trusting him at RB. Plus we have three first choice centre backs now. I think the back three will be here to stay. 

I personally feel that if we stick with the 3 at the back it'll be Robson's death knell at AFC. He won't survive playing that. 

Robson deserves a lot of credit for getting us 3rd last season but let's not forget that performances in the main weren't great. Rangers and Hearts at home the exceptions. We were lucky to win a lot of those games. And then there was the Hearts debacle. 

I'd love to see Robson turn it around but 2 wins in the last 11 games isn't great. I've got big doubts. He's a student of McInnes. It's obviously where the stubbornness has come from 😂