The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 27/10/2023 at 15:01, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye, Killie on Sunday has all the makings of a flat, poor performance. 

12KO, down there, after the exertions & massive kick in the nuts on Thursday night.

Fancy Killie strongly

Kilmarnock today, in Motherwell on Wednesday night and Hampden on Saturday evening.   That’s brutal. 
Do you know whether the team are/have considered staying down in between?  If they are back and forward between the games it will be quite the yo-yo of additional travel. I know teams tend to travel the day before fixtures that involve a bit more travel, but the back and forth of all of this could be disruptive in itself.  Quite a reasonable expense for the squad to stay away for the guts of a week, but probably would give you best chance of success through those fixtures.

I had been on the fence about Robson up until today, but that was abject and has pushed me towards thinking we need to replace him. Agnew also got a lot of praise from our fans last season, but that was probably more a case of our fans falling into the trap that Rangers fans did with Beale and overstating the influence of an assistant when things are going well. 

I completely understand why we appointed Robson, and given the miraculous revival last season then the feeling within the club was probably that there was no alternative. But it maybe also shows the other side of giving a temporary manager an extended probation period, which seemed to be the accepted wisdom both internally and externally at the time: you are then more likely to get lured into that sort of situation. 

Think I’ve seen enough from Robson now. 4 wins from 16 this season is piss poor and that includes two pretty unconvincing league cup victories. Doesn’t know how to set up against teams we should be beating and ‘close but no cigar’ in Europe only takes you so far.

Spent more than enough on this squad and we should be getting a lot more out of the players we have.

He did incredibly well last season and he 100% deserved the job but he’s shown this year that he’s not up to it. 

Edited by lubo_blaha

Who has responsibility for dismissing a manager and then appointing a replacement now? Is it Burrows? Is it Cormack? Is it the "Football Monitoring Board"? I might not have been paying attention, but it seems like this is something that should be a bit more obvious than it is by now.

Also, to avoid repeats of previous mishaps, hopefully whoever it is has actually started doing their due diligence. Who is available? Who would fit the squad we have? Who would fit the structure? Even when things were going well for Robson, this is something that should have been going on in the background to ensure proper planning was in place. 

This is out of hope rather than any expectation, mind you. 

11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Who has responsibility for dismissing a manager and then appointing a replacement now? Is it Burrows? Is it Cormack? Is it the "Football Monitoring Board"? I might not have been paying attention, but it seems like this is something that should be a bit more obvious than it is by now.

Also, to avoid repeats of previous mishaps, hopefully whoever it is has actually started doing their due diligence. Who is available? Who would fit the squad we have? Who would fit the structure? Even when things were going well for Robson, this is something that should have been going on in the background to ensure proper planning was in place. 

This is out of hope rather than any expectation, mind you. 

Surely it's Gunn?

I'd heard from several folk we didn't get Wilder due to him as well.

47 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Duk needs a spell on the rigs. 

"Right c*nto, we're sending you offshore so you can buck up your ideas.  You'll spend 12 hrs a day on the deck / floor...

... actually, scrap that idea."

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Surely it's Gunn?

I'd heard from several folk we didn't get Wilder due to him as well.

Surely it's not Gunn? I just don't believe he has the authority to sack or appoint a manager. As far as I can tell, Cormack is still essentially our DoF in all but name, or maybe now a hybrid of Cormack and Burrows.

Cormack seems to be content with our structure appearing to be very much stuck in this weird halfway house between 'old' and 'new'. 

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surely it's not Gunn? I just don't believe he has the authority to sack or appoint a manager. As far as I can tell, Cormack is still essentially our DoF in all but name, or maybe now a hybrid of Cormack and Burrows.

Cormack seems to be content with our structure appearing to be very much stuck in this weird halfway house between 'old' and 'new'. 

Gunn is the director of football. Surely comes under his role?

5 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Gunn is the director of football. Surely comes under his role?

I mean, you would think so, but we know by now that Gunn's role isn't that of a 'normal' DoF. It certainly wouldn't be recognised as such in Germany or the Netherlands, for example. 

I'm commenting as a non Aberdeen fan but Scottish football supporter.

Should Aberdeen ever be going with a rookie manager? 

Would Big Sam or Neil Warnock till the end of the season work? I've not followed English football lately but thought it would be interesting to see how both would do in the SPFL. 

Stephen Robinson has done well in Scotland but I think Aberdeen need to go a level above when it comes to appointing managers if they seriously want to kick on. Same goes for Hearts. 

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I mean, you would think so, but we know by now that Gunn's role isn't that of a 'normal' DoF. It certainly wouldn't be recognised as such in Germany or the Netherlands, for example. 

I've been hoping Burrows boots him and we get someone in who can actually do the role.

28 minutes ago, Sondico said:

I'm commenting as a non Aberdeen fan but Scottish football supporter.

Should Aberdeen ever be going with a rookie manager? 

Would Big Sam or Neil Warnock till the end of the season work? I've not followed English football lately but thought it would be interesting to see how both would do in the SPFL. 

Stephen Robinson has done well in Scotland but I think Aberdeen need to go a level above when it comes to appointing managers if they seriously want to kick on. Same goes for Hearts. 

There was a lot of us on here who didn't want Robson but it was hard not to give him the job after his job in the interim position.

Not interested in a Big Sam type and he'd see himself as a level above.

Needs to be the similar to what we do with players IMO. Sign a young manager with aspirations of going on to bigger things in England.

Defeat next Saturday and it’s got to be the end.
I know that the successful run he had got him three job but at the time said it had a OGS feel to it. We already had our fingers burnt by two mangers previously out of their depth who to be fair had slight more experience than Robson in managerial roles. Would be interesting spot see if there was actually contact made with applicants for the job our was all the eggs in the Robson basket!

Duk and a slightly less degree Clarkson are looking like one hit wonders last season hopefully they find the form of last season again very soon but signs aren’t good. With Clarkson I wonder if there is a issue with the way his mate Williams is being treated?

As much of the blame lays with Robson but remember there is still around 7 players still in this team who downed tools and were part of that darvel defeat and the hammerings from hearts and hibs