The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Hayes has a year and a half on his contract. If it's true he wants away, then he better have a destination willing to pay our valuation. I think it highlights where we've come from, that the majority of our fans are expecting a ~£1m fee, and that the board would accept that. Let's not forget, we're debt free now, and have absolutely no obligation to sell. We should be looking for much more than that...

If someone wants to make us a crazy offer, aye, we'll sell. Milne might not be the perfect chairman, but he's clearly an exceptional businessman, and no businessman undervalues their assets. I'm pretty confident that if Hayes goes we'll get an appropriate fee. However, given the way we do business, it's pretty much guaranteed we wont know the exact (approximate) value of the transfer until the books are made public. All we'll get is the usual tabloid shite.

Let's say we make a couple mill, what about giving Celtic some sexy talk about Mackay-Steven, and Izaguirre?

Edited by Illgresi

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

So it doesn't hurt too much if it happens, I think I'll start the grieving process now.

What would we want izaguire for?

Third best left back in the league after Shinnie, and Tierney, respectively. Allows McInnes to play Shinnie at centre midfield, without having to play Considine at left back. Also, would avoid us finding a midfielder as good as Shinnie...which would be even harder.

Makes sense to me at least.

Izaguirre wouldn't be the worst shout in the world, if he wasn't on about ten times the salary we could possibly afford. Would never come.
GMS I've always thought to be overrated.

GMS would strike me as a replacement for McGinn and not Hayes. No way he could match the raw directness of Jonny and the way he drives us forward.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

GMS would strike me as a replacement for McGinn and not Hayes. No way he could match the raw directness of Jonny and the way he drives us forward.

Yep.

Its hard to think of a player as good as Hayes, in that direct mould. So many have the pace but lack the final ball/shot. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mackay-Steven is as good as Hayes, but imo he's the best, realisticly attainable, left winger we could get.

I agree he's not direct in the sense that Hayes is, but very players are. Furthermore, I don't think Hayes' directness is necessarily something we must rely on.

There're plenty of examples of top teams that don't rely on a 'Hayes'.

Replacing Hayes on our budget is near impossible, what we would lose is not only his quality but his pace. His ability to pick up the ball in his own half and burn past a few players up the line has led to so many of our goals over the last few years. I would look to replace him with a Marvin Johnson (ex well) type player.

After reading that interview i reckon he is off.

18 minutes ago, Mackiemyday said:

Replacing Hayes on our budget is near impossible, what we would lose is not only his quality but his pace. His ability to pick up the ball in his own half and burn past a few players up the line has led to so many of our goals over the last few years. I would look to replace him with a Marvin Johnson (ex well) type player.

After reading that interview i reckon he is off.

Like for like, I wouldn't say 'nearly impossible', I'd say it was full impossible. There isn't a player like him in the league. Even at Celtic, there are better players, but nothing approaching Jonny's directness. In fact, the only player I've seen in the (vile) English premiership that plays like Hayes, is Judas Fraser. He's an EPL level player, and it's absolutely not surprising we rejected a £500k bid. Derisory from a team I'd fancy us to batter.

If Hayes does go, GMS in could work. His girlfriend is originally from Aberdeen (was in my year at school, way out of my league), so that could help. However, would he be as consistent as Hayes? Unlikely. Would he be interested in such a big drop in wages to come to Aberdeen? Possibly not.

This will be a massive loss to our club and the board really have to get this sale right. It needs to be at a proper value, and the cash needs to be given to McInnes to recruit a suitable replacement player. Duncan Fraser was in the Daily Ranger at the weekend (don't worry, I didn't buy the rag) saying that it was important to have a winning team on the park when we move. Replacing Hayes is key to that.

Sam Nicholson or GMS would both be stretching ourselves, but realistically that's as good as we would get. More likely, we'd have to shop elsewhere. Looking round the Scottish game presently, it isn't blessed with remarkably brilliant left wingers. Marvin Johnson would have been ideal but that ship has sailed.

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Like for like, I wouldn't say 'nearly impossible', I'd say it was full impossible. There isn't a player like him in the league. Even at Celtic, there are better players, but nothing approaching Jonny's directness. In fact, the only player I've seen in the (vile) English premiership that plays like Hayes, is Judas Fraser. He's an EPL level player, and it's absolutely not surprising we rejected a £500k bid. Derisory from a team I'd fancy us to batter.

BIB.

I do not understand this mentality, why is he a Judas because he left for a better Job? Would your friends and family and ex colleagues call you that if you leave your job for one with better prospects??

Guess we will never know!!

Just angers me the mentality of some fans, every time a Young Player or a Player leaves for what they as an individual believes is right for them they are then treated worse than sexual criminals. It is Football FFS some just need to chill a little. Only thing I can say is that is perhaps jealousy as that can be the only plausible excuse for acting this way.

How people can still be mad at Fraser is beyond me, the guy was in a pretty terrible Aberdeen team being managed by a dinosaur. He signed for a team which was a complete contrast of this and is now showing what he can do.

If McInnis was manager at the time am sure he would have got another season or two out of him. He most likely wouldn’t have been daft enough to put him in the team, talk him up in the press all before getting him to sign a longer deal. At the time they must have seen what he was doing in training why not get his contract situation sorted before putting him in the first 11.

Edited by Mackiemyday

Leaving for arch-rivals Bournemouth should never be excused or forgotten. 

FWIW I think he got very lucky going to such a well run club. The majority of similarly sized clubs are total basket  cases and could have ended up anywhere. 

Either that or he was very clever, but considering he lost his wallet in the snow I'm not so sure.