The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I'm sober and I stick by what I typed. The thing is, I'm not saying that it absolutely is feasible to stay where we are. I'm just saying I'd like to see some better evidence that they've explored fully the option of doing so. Especially if the alternative now seems to be moving so far away from where the club belongs.

I sympathise. We have  been told Pittodrie is unable to be redeveloped but we haven't been shown. The only reason I'm reluctantly for Kingsford is (perhaps misplaced) faith in the decision making of the guys at the top. Dod Yule seems to know what he's doing, so I hope and will this to be a success. 

Resk is right in pointing out that the reason for leaving the beach should be spelled out more clearly. I wonder how much more it would cost, hypothetically, to renovate rather  than relocate?

I don't have much faith that it'll actually go ahead since there's been many false dawns in the past. Anyway, I feel a lot of our players and particularly the manager have been promised the stadium (and training facilities more importantly), so the board now have no choice really.

10 hours ago, resk said:

At no point has anyone produced any conclusive evidence that Pittodrie can't be redeveloped. No feasibility study or any other kind of detailed report has ever been produced. All we've had is the club saying "nah, can't do it, too expensive, we'll need to move to a combined stadium and training facility even though pretty much no other club in the world has deemed it necessary to combine the two". And we've swallowed it.

At the same time, the club's principal asset has been allowed to run to ruin. And people like shiny new things.

It's been a real eye-opener for me just exactly how quick Aberdeen fans are to blindly accept everything their club tells them. We're no better than Rangers fans IMO.

That's not quite true.  In the early days AFC released the feasibility study when comparing re-developing Pittodrie v Kings LInks v Loirston.

I know, because I read the fekker!

From memory the breakdown was follows (and please don't treat numbers as absolutely gospel or the exact time-frame, because I read the report about eight, maybe even ten years ago and I'm getting auld)!

Re-developing Pittodrie

Pros

Cheapest cash-wise (can't remember the number but for some reason I think it was about £25m).

Get to stay on existing site.

Already own the land.

Cons 

Not cheapest when taking into account possible sales value of Pittodrie. 

Reduced capacity and revenues during construction

Reduced capacity on completion (height of stands) due to surrounding roads etc (16k springs to mind)

No real increase in corporate income.

Non-WAFFA compliant, so no hope of hosting big Euro games or International events (see Scotland's hopeless bid for Euro's).

Kings Links  

Primary costs circa £35m (less £16m sale value) = £19m

Pros

Just across road from current location.

Preferred option for fans

WAFFA compliant

Capacity circa 24k

More Commercial Income

Cons

Proposed land had restrictive covenants which were not at Council discretion to change.

Uncertainty over viabililty of foundations for such a large stadium leading to an additional contingency of £6m to £12m over estimated costs.

Loirston

Costs circa £35m (less £16m sale value) = £19m

Pros

WAFFA compliant

Capacity circa 24k (with possible expansion IIRC).

More commercial income

Mostly Council Land (perceived easier planning than Kings LInks).

Cons

Not in city centre

Now many, may not like the answers given, but they definately issued the feasability and reasons for chosing Loirston, because as I said (I read them).

I did have a digital copy at one point but it doesn't appear to have transferred across on one of my PC migrations.

EDIT:  and before anyone calls it 'Mickey Mouse'.  We spent nearly £400k on that report!  That's a lot of money for purely puff-piece of work.

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

I for one can definitely see McGinn at Rangers.

I expect McGinn, like many players before him, is simply being linked with Rangers because he used to play for Brentford.

The possible signing of Considine has been rumoured a few times now, and an experienced Premiership centre back makes a lot of sense. Would he be a first team player? Maybe not, but it's a free transfer on a low salary so worth giving him a chance to impress.

Interesting to see if Rangers fan still believe in the "CL in four years" promise, now they're being linked with a mid-table La Liga reserve and Andy Considine

Sent from my F5121 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

3 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Why would he move for a low salary and sit on the bench most weeks?

Deluded.

By "low salary" I was meaning about £5k-£7k.

Who says he will sit on the bench most weeks? He probably believes he's good enough to challenge for a first team place considering the quality of our centre backs. 

3 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I for one can definitely see McGinn at Rangers.

It would be glorious if he were to go, a reporter to ask about being a being a former Celtic player, him to play it down saying hes at a new club anyway.

Make it happen Niall.

Edited by gannonball

9 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

You'd want your club to pay Andrew Considine £7k a week? He'd be good enough to challenge for a first team place?

I don't know. I can understand why Rangers would be willing to sign him though. It's a low risk signing from a financial perspective.

Considine to Rangers!!! Slow sports news week. Utter drivel with not one quote.

Anyhow as regards the proposed new stadium it's interesting to read all the different opinions.
When I go to see the Dons we travel from the Highlands and bus in, golf club for a few pints (used to be Broadhill) then go to the game. Hardly fever pitch. On the odd occasion we take the train it's always good fun to hit a few pubs first and it does feel like a better all round day out.
To me though the city centre it's still a fair trek from Pittodrie. Whilst I realise it's a lot nearer than the new proposal it's not like Tynecastle for example.
From a selfish point of view it'll be easier to access for us teuchters but I'd rather a bit of a traffic jam than a soulless venue.
I really believe the club need to be very careful. The transport links need to be excellent to the point the club may take a financial hit on transport on quieter match days. All fans need to know there are regular shuttle buses for example from 2 hours before to at least an hour after the game straight to the city centre.
If they have a standing section and a big, reasonably priced beer hall at the ground then it should be ok?
I speak to Inverness fans regularly and a lot of folk can't be arsed going to their games as it's dull, way out of town, a shit ground, poor facilities with a poor atmosphere.
I worry it's pretty split from local Dons fans as to how readily accessible the stadium will be. A lot of you folks don't trust the chairman at all.

34 minutes ago, jim999 said:

Considine to Rangers!!! Slow sports news week. Utter drivel with not one quote.

Anyhow as regards the proposed new stadium it's interesting to read all the different opinions.
When I go to see the Dons we travel from the Highlands and bus in, golf club for a few pints (used to be Broadhill) then go to the game. Hardly fever pitch. On the odd occasion we take the train it's always good fun to hit a few pubs first and it does feel like a better all round day out.
To me though the city centre it's still a fair trek from Pittodrie. Whilst I realise it's a lot nearer than the new proposal it's not like Tynecastle for example.
From a selfish point of view it'll be easier to access for us teuchters but I'd rather a bit of a traffic jam than a soulless venue.
I really believe the club need to be very careful. The transport links need to be excellent to the point the club may take a financial hit on transport on quieter match days. All fans need to know there are regular shuttle buses for example from 2 hours before to at least an hour after the game straight to the city centre.
If they have a standing section and a big, reasonably priced beer hall at the ground then it should be ok?
I speak to Inverness fans regularly and a lot of folk can't be arsed going to their games as it's dull, way out of town, a shit ground, poor facilities with a poor atmosphere.
I worry it's pretty split from local Dons fans as to how readily accessible the stadium will be. A lot of you folks don't trust the chairman at all.

Tynecastle to Haymarket is just under a mile and it's just over a mile from Pittodrie to the pubs on the Castlegate, bottom end of Union Street and the Illicit Still. Not exactly much of a difference there and comfortably walkable in 20 minutes pre and post match. Plenty pubs on the way down King Street too.

As for the laughable transfer rumours, it stinks of more Level 5 PR nonsense. Happened to Hearts when they had the chance to go above Sevco and it is happening to Aberdeen more. Hilarious stuff. Andy Considine won't move to Rangers and unless it saw Sam Nicholson move the other way, Niall McGinn won't go to Hearts.

Miles Storey going up to Inverness seems to be more likely to happen than anything else. A damn shame that we have not seen more of him, doesn't seem to have had much opportunity to impress. No idea what has happened behind the scenes to cause the lack of game time. I'd also like to get rid of Wes Burns, purely because he's an awful footballer.

19 hours ago, resk said:

It's been a real eye-opener for me just exactly how quick Aberdeen fans are to blindly accept everything their club tells them. We're no better than Rangers fans IMO.

218695409.jpg

Tynecastle to Haymarket is just under a mile and it's just over a mile from Pittodrie to the pubs on the Castlegate, bottom end of Union Street and the Illicit Still. Not exactly much of a difference there and comfortably walkable in 20 minutes pre and post match. Plenty pubs on the way down King Street too.

As for the laughable transfer rumours, it stinks of more Level 5 PR nonsense. Happened to Hearts when they had the chance to go above Sevco and it is happening to Aberdeen more. Hilarious stuff. Andy Considine won't move to Rangers and unless it saw Sam Nicholson move the other way, Niall McGinn won't go to Hearts.

Miles Storey going up to Inverness seems to be more likely to happen than anything else. A damn shame that we have not seen more of him, doesn't seem to have had much opportunity to impress. No idea what has happened behind the scenes to cause the lack of game time. I'd also like to get rid of Wes Burns, purely because he's an awful footballer.

Storey never really got a chance. I thought he should've got a better crack at it. Maybe poor in training but played very well against us last season?
Inverness would love him back.

I'm no genius but I'm guessing you live or did live in Bucksburn at one
point. Do you go straight to the ground from there or into the city for
a few beers first? And if the stadium move comes off will your pre match habits change much?

39 minutes ago, jim999 said:

Storey never really got a chance. I thought he should've got a better crack at it. Maybe poor in training but played very well against us last season?
Inverness would love him back.

I'm no genius but I'm guessing you live or did live in Bucksburn at one
point. Do you go straight to the ground from there or into the city for
a few beers first? And if the stadium move comes off will your pre match habits change much?

I feel sorry for Storey as he did well in the game v Partick Thistle then got bits of games here and there afterwards. Certainly wouldn't wish him any ill and hope he keeps Inverness in the league if/when he goes up there (apart from against us), far better than having to travel to the Cental Belt for away games.

I do currently, moving later this week but like Rangers, I'm pretending to be the same BucksburnDandy! Normally go to the Caledonian golf club for a few pre match and into town post match. Not sure what I'll do at the new ground, probably head out there if the Fans Bar opens about midday and put some money into the club's coffers. Still a bit lacking on certain aspects of information. I'd prefer to stay at Pittodrie but it isn't going to happen.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Logan the latest to be linked with a move to Ipswich for £200k.

We really must have them rattled.

If we're stupid enough to have a release clause in Logan's contract @ £200k then hell mend us.

If there isn't a release clause then no way is he leaving for £200k with eighteen months remaining on his contract