The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Match is now off

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Taking my lad to the Peterhead game tonight.

Booked standing seats so he could get the full lower league experience (regretting this now). Anyone got an estimate on how early we'd need to arrive to get a decent spot?

Yes, game is off because of travel conditions. Below is from PFC FB page.

Unfortunately our optimism from this morning was short-lived as we have now had to make the difficult decision to call this game OFF. Although the pitch has held up well, the surrounding roads are now flooding and therefore a safety hazard for fans. This is not something we thought we needed to be concerned about in July and apologise to all those who may have already set off for this match.
We will be in contact with all those who have purchased tickets for this match with the refund procedure to follow.

Seemingly this boy Sivert Heltne Nilsen is on his way. Current Brann captain. Reported heavily in Norway (according to twitter at least). Defensive mid. 32 so not the usual sell on type signing we've been making

edit: Played for Thelin previously and Burns is reporting it now too. Just down to the medical.

Edited by Rodhull

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Probably not a surprise, but Scott Burns has confirmed there is nothing in the Sarmiento link - well outside our price range. 

Aye would have been a very odd one if we had managed it. You'd think at the very least multiple championship teams would take him on loan if he did so well with Ipswich.

31 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Defensive mid. 32 so not the usual sell on type signing we've been making

Not familiar with him at all, but that reads like a long-overdue Ramadani replacement (I think he was probably signed as a more experienced player rather than as likely sell-on, but we got an excellent offer).

I do think we need a balance between buy-to-sell project players and more seasoned pros, so this one sounds promising.

We could definitely do with a 'proper' defensive midfielder, so at least it sounds like Nilsen fits that sort of profile. The defence took a battering last season (and for at least half a season before that under Goodwin), and it still doesn't look very good personnel-wise IMO, but undoubtedly not helped by not having a decent amount of protection from in front of it. 

44 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We could definitely do with a 'proper' defensive midfielder, so at least it sounds like Nilsen fits that sort of profile. The defence took a battering last season (and for at least half a season before that under Goodwin), and it still doesn't look very good personnel-wise IMO, but undoubtedly not helped by not having a decent amount of protection from in front of it. 

Aye, our back 4 gives me a bit of the fear to be honest.

No prizes for saying we made a complete arse by letting ramadani go with no replacement last summer. Caused the huge imbalance we saw in midfield all season and the way teams played through us at times was embarrassing. 

Hopefully this plugs that gap. 

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Playing Peterhead behind closed doors just now.

Cheers. Knew you were meant to play tonight but thought it was cancelled. Surprised the new manager hasn't had a game or two more before the LC stages. 

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

Cheers. Knew you were meant to play tonight but thought it was cancelled. Surprised the new manager hasn't had a game or two more before the LC stages. 

They couldn't find a team to play them in Portugal but have definitely had full sided matches between them.

Main issue for tonight was the flooded roads around Peterhead but they're playing it at Cormack instead.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

They couldn't find a team to play them in Portugal but have definitely had full sided matches between them.

Main issue for tonight was the flooded roads around Peterhead but they're playing it at Cormack instead.

Tbf the LC stages should be teams at a level you can use them as a pre season but always the risk a bad result or two gets in the way and blown out of proportion. 

Mitov, Devlin, Rubezic, Molloy, McGarry, Morris, Shinnie, Clarkson, Besuijen, McGrath, Sokler.

That was the starting XI tonight - or the 'first half XI' - so read into that what you will ahead of Saturday. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Mitov, Devlin, Rubezic, Molloy, McGarry, Morris, Shinnie, Clarkson, Besuijen, McGrath, Sokler.

That was the starting XI tonight - or the 'first half XI' - so read into that what you will ahead of Saturday. 

I read into that, the team is about 5 players short of where we would like it to to be at the moment.

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Polvara out for months. 
Bojan - protecting him   
Duk - just get him out.   
MacKenzie - injured   
Nilsen - to be announced hopefully today. 

We need two wingers, a right back and a midfielder if Polvara is out long-term

56 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Polvara out for months. 
Bojan - protecting him   
Duk - just get him out.   
MacKenzie - injured   
Nilsen - to be announced hopefully today. 

We need two wingers, a right back and a midfielder if Polvara is out long-term

There was definitely a lack of creativity from full-back, and the wide areas in general, last season.

I think a genuinely good Aberdeen team can maybe get away with one of Devlin or Mackenzie at full-back; of the two, I'd probably rather Mackenzie with an eye on the longer term, and also because I would be keeping McGarry away from the starting XI at pretty much all costs.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

There was definitely a lack of creativity from full-back, and the wide areas in general, last season.

I think a genuinely good Aberdeen team can maybe get away with one of Devlin or Mackenzie at full-back; of the two, I'd probably rather Mackenzie with an eye on the longer term, and also because I would be keeping McGarry away from the starting XI at pretty much all costs.

(Second half) Doohan, Richardson, Milne, McDonald, Jensen, Duncan, Stewart (Lobban 77), Marshall (Emslie 77), Boyd, Ambrose, Bavidge (McKenzie 77).

We've got this