The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Article i saw had quotes saying he was changing career and going to work for Ram Tubular. Although Dave's quote suggested something to do with Locos. 

Maybe both. 

"He told the P&J: “I’ve been thinking about a new career direction for a while and the chance has come with (north-east company) Ram Tubulars.

“Their managing director Jim Stewart is passionate about sport, he backs Aberdeen FC and the Russell Anderson Foundation and I’m looking forward to working with him."

Then Dave:

“It’s understandable that, after such a long spell with the club, he’s looking for a different challenge so that he can spend more time with his family and watch his son Kyle play for Inverurie Locos.

“Their gain will very much be our loss. We’re pleased, however, that he’ll remain in touch with a frequent presence at Pittodrie for many years to come.”

I think it's just watching his kid when he's not watching the dons at home but could be wrong.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I think it's just watching his kid when he's not watching the dons at home but could be wrong.

Yeah, re-reading that looks like "their gain" means his family. 

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I know Nilsen hasn't been signed for his pace but considering the length of a deal we've given him he looks worryingly slow at times.

I've been impressed with him. No surprise to me that Shinnies looked better.

43 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I've been impressed with him. No surprise to me that Shinnies looked better.

Obviously I haven’t been to any of the games so can only go by what others have said and what I’ve seen on tv. He looks solid enough for the most part on the ball and by nearly all accounts he allows Shinnie and Clarkson to go forward more but he does look very slow and quite rash in some of his tackling.

Not writing him off or even saying he’s a bad signing but think this could cause problems for us this season.

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Obviously I haven’t been to any of the games so can only go by what others have said and what I’ve seen on tv. He looks solid enough for the most part on the ball and by nearly all accounts he allows Shinnie and Clarkson to go forward more but he does look very slow and quite rash in some of his tackling.

Not writing him off or even saying he’s a bad signing but think this could cause problems for us this season.

He's definitely rash in the tackle.

Unfortunately we look like we need that type when we don't have it.

I definitely think the role Nilsen occupies is an important one, especially giving Shinnie and Clarkson more freedom to impact things further forward. But I thought he was poor individually tonight. He didn't use the ball particularly well, the only attacks he really broke up and slowed down in the first half were Aberdeen ones, and Airdrie were able to find space and progress the ball between our defence and midfield too easily. He was arguably a bit fortunate not to get a second booking just after half-time (it would have been on the soft side, but some referees would have gone for it), and he got involved in a few needless tangles and made some clumsy late tackles when he was done for pace or caught out positionally. 

He simplified things a bit in the second half which helped matters, and our pressing from the front was better which made it harder for Airdrie to progress through the thirds and cause him problems with their movement, but I still would have maybe been looking for a player of his experience in that position to help us control things a bit better at 2-1.

Still very early days, of course, and I desperately hope it works out for him because we need a profile of player who can offer more protection to the centre-backs than we saw last season but also free the likes of Shinnie and Clarkson to more regularly demonstrate the sort of attacking impact they offered in the second half.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I definitely think the role Nilsen occupies is an important one, especially giving Shinnie and Clarkson more freedom to impact things further forward. But I thought he was poor individually tonight. He didn't use the ball particularly well, the only attacks he really broke up and slowed down in the first half were Aberdeen ones, and Airdrie were able to find space and progress the ball between our defence and midfield too easily. He was arguably a bit fortunate not to get a second booking just after half-time (it would have been on the soft side, but some referees would have gone for it), and he got involved in a few needless tangles and made some clumsy late tackles when he was done for pace or caught out positionally. 

He simplified things a bit in the second half which helped matters, and our pressing from the front was better which made it harder for Airdrie to progress through the thirds and cause him problems with their movement, but I still would have maybe been looking for a player of his experience in that position to help us control things a bit better at 2-1.

Still very early days, of course, and I desperately hope it works out for him because we need a profile of player who can offer more protection to the centre-backs than we saw last season but also free the likes of Shinnie and Clarkson to more regularly demonstrate the sort of attacking impact they offered in the second half.

Can't agree more

Think the worrying thing for me is he looked well off the pace, but he should be the furthest along given Norway is a summer season. He did more than enough to be sent off, particularly given how the ref was last night. And some of his wayward passes were awful and would have been punished by prem teams my. 

Thought he looked good on his debut so hoping it was just a bit of a poor game that can be put down to being new.

I do really like Molloy, seems to have a good mix of just punting it to safety when it needs and trying to step out when the space is there.

4 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Think the worrying thing for me is he looked well off the pace, but he should be the furthest along given Norway is a summer season. He did more than enough to be sent off, particularly given how the ref was last night. And some of his wayward passes were awful and would have been punished by prem teams my. 

Thought he looked good on his debut so hoping it was just a bit of a poor game that can be put down to being new.

I do really like Molloy, seems to have a good mix of just punting it to safety when it needs and trying to step out when the space is there.

Aye, he had some really slack passes last night and I agree with the points about his mobility and tendancy to red-line his tackles. That aside, he has been OK. Early days and he may need a few more games to adjust to the tempo and style. Lets see how he has settled in come September and we can decide if we want to hiss about not signing Baccus fae the Buddies for that role.

Agree on Molloy too. I have been pleasantly surprised by him so far. Tougher tests ahead of course.

Edited by bpdon

Just had a look at the AFC website and see them promoting the St Mirren game on 10th August. It never seems to happen, but surely they should be clarifying that this match could be on either the 10th or 11th depending on how St Mirren fare in their European tie this and next week. I know that the chances are that they will be knocked out, but if for some reason they’re not, then the club should be making it clear about the dubiety over the date.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Just had a look at the AFC website and see them promoting the St Mirren game on 10th August. It never seems to happen, but surely they should be clarifying that this match could be on either the 10th or 11th depending on how St Mirren fare in their European tie this and next week. I know that the chances are that they will be knocked out, but if for some reason they’re not, then the club should be making it clear about the dubiety over the date.

Plus Kilmarnock still showing Sat 24th Aug, despite I think them being guaranteed to at least be in the Conference play-offs, which would mean a Thu 22nd fixture.

Think Hearts home and away will also both be a Sunday.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Anyone on here know what the applause in the 14th and 51st minutes were for last night? Ashamed to say that I had no clue.

14th minute was for a young 14 year old who passed away.

After knocking the club about not publicising  potential wrong fixture dates, I would like to congratulate them In updating their scoreboard software which means that the time in each half doesn't now stop at 45.00 and 90.00. Also like the club badges replacing the three letter club names on the scoreboard. Take my applause AFC.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

After knocking the club about not publicising  potential wrong fixture dates, I would like to congratulate them In updating their scoreboard software which means that the time in each half doesn't now stop at 45.00 and 90.00. Also like the club badges replacing the three letter club names on the scoreboard. Take my applause AFC.

If you really meant that you’d go and stand outside the club shop and applaud. 

Edited by Dons_1988