The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Scott Burns saying we’re trying to sign him. 

I will have to rethink my 9th-place forecast for Hibs on the Scottish Premiership Predictor thread if that happens. 

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the time that has elapsed, confirmation from Scott Burns that Hoilett has rejected our contract offer and that we have “moved on”.

A real shame - a huge asset when he was up to speed, especially when it came to opening up teams sitting in low blocks and giving us a genuine threat from set plays. 

We haven’t moved on very quickly, seeing as we haven’t signed any wingers.

We “moved on” from Hoilett ages ago.

We don’t have a left winger & we have a pretty bang average right winger. 

10 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm comfortable with Hoillett not returning.

A brilliant player on his day but I can't see him fitting the new system. Can't imagine he would have been anything other than an option off the bench.

Aye, I’d suspect that’s why Jimmy ‘moved on quickly’. 

Id have loved to keep hoilett purely because he was great to watch but can understand if he wants to be a top earner at the club and thelin isn’t convinced he fits that we try and be smarter with the budget. 

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm comfortable with Hoillett not returning.

A brilliant player on his day but I can't see him fitting the new system. Can't imagine he would have been anything other than an option off the bench.

Hmmm, he just gave us an x factor that I just don't see in the current squad - with the Celtic semi being the prime example.

Plan A for the 'system' will not always work - and Hoilett was a great option.

Maybe a year older with a serious injury to recover from won't help, but it will likely annoy me significantly if he ends up signing for another club in our league.

11 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Hmmm, he just gave us an x factor that I just don't see in the current squad - with the Celtic semi being the prime example.

Maybe a year older with a serious injury to recover from won't help, but it will likely annoy me significantly if he ends up signing for another club in our league.

He would have wanted a fair salary, so let Hibs pay out a significant amount of dosh for him, and then be out injured.

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think regardless it’s a good sign with thelin. It suggests he has a clearer squad building plan than recent managers, who would have just pushed the boat on the budget to get a quick win in the door. 

Could well end up looking silly if he ends up scoring for hibs against us or something but it at least feels like the decision has been taken on good grounds. 

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He would have wanted a fair salary, so let Hibs pay out a significant amount of dosh for him, and then be out injured.

I liked Hoilett from about mid March onwards. 
Clever player & a good crosser of the ball.

BUT….

I’m not convinced he’d have fitted in to Thelin’s style, which relies on pace out wide & a lot of pressing, neither of which he has in him.

That said, the Dons squad is undoubtedly weaker than last season so far. 

It’s a midfield without Polvara & Clarkson, & an attack without Hoilett, Duk & Miovski (he’s an unused sub, pointless).

Most folk accept we’re weak in midfield & out wide. 
I don’t believe for a second the club don’t know that. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I liked Hoilett from about mid March onwards. 
Clever player & a good crosser of the ball.

BUT….

I’m not convinced he’d have fitted in to Thelin’s style, which relies on pace out wide & a lot of pressing, neither of which he has in him.

It’s a midfield without Polvara & Clarkson, & an attack without Hoilett, Duk & Miovski (he’s an unused sub, pointless).

Most folk accept we’re weak in midfield & out wide. 
I don’t believe for a second the club don’t know that. 

You missed out Barron, the wee *** runt that he is. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

How much can we afford to pay for a plan B?

His form late last season probably earned him a starting wage on a two year deal. I think we need to look past that, especially considering it's a new manager with a new system.

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Just going into August that is undoubtedly the case, with suspension and injuries not helping at the moment either.

I listened to one of the pods on the way home and the St J and Dons guys chatting seemed to agree we look much better this season.

Right now I think the squad is no way near the level of Leven’s bottom six barnstormers - but if this Miovski saga would reach its conclusion sooner rather than later, maybe the dominoes will start toppling and we’ll see what shape we’re in a month from now.

Just don’t want to squander points in what is a relatively kind looking set of fixtures before then - especially if we get Smurn and Kilmarnock on the back of European Thursdays.

On 30/07/2024 at 15:56, O_Kahn said:

Pape skied a shot at today's training session hitting someone sitting in the RDS in the face. He then put in a tasty tackle on Sokler during the practice game.

(to be fair to Pape he went over to the fan to check they had recovered).

Everyone took part except MacDonald (who had a physio doing 1 to 1 exercises with him), and Clarkson who appeared on the touchline briefly.

I remember Lee Miller doing this pre match. Fair play to him he came out and gave the guy his training top 

I do understand what people are saying about Hoilett not 'fitting' what Thelin seemingly wants to do, but I can't help but think that a player like that would be such an asset over the course of a full season, especially when teams are sitting in and happy to concede possession. I lost count of the amount of times last season that we didn't have an individual just capable of breaking down a low block, or making the most of a set play. Hoilett offered that sort of guile and technical ability when he came in, a bit like McGinn did for us so often under McInnes when we weren't playing that well. 

Obviously I don't know what he was asking from the club, but I just think there are always going to be a good chunk of games over the course of a season for a team like us in this league, regardless of how we broadly approach them, where a player like that will just be able to elevate us from a loss to a draw or a draw to a win. 

41 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

That paper thin squad of ours just got weaker.

Leighton Clarkson now added to the unavailable list, & for some time.

Where are you getting that from? Can’t find any confirmation of that anywhere. He certainly seemed to have a shoulder injury on Saturday.

28 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I do understand what people are saying about Hoilett not 'fitting' what Thelin seemingly wants to do, but I can't help but think that a player like that would be such an asset over the course of a full season, especially when teams are sitting in and happy to concede possession. I lost count of the amount of times last season that we didn't have an individual just capable of breaking down a low block, or making the most of a set play. Hoilett offered that sort of guile and technical ability when he came in, a bit like McGinn did for us so often under McInnes when we weren't playing that well. 

Obviously I don't know what he was asking from the club, but I just think there are always going to be a good chunk of games over the course of a season for a team like us in this league, regardless of how we broadly approach them, where a player like that will just be able to elevate us from a loss to a draw or a draw to a win. 

I think we’d all love to have him. But he’s 34 and wanting to be a top earner (allegedly). The manager is entitled to make the judgement that he doesn’t want to utilise the budget on someone he doesn’t feel will start every week. Ultimately he’ll live and die by it but it does feel like he’s using sound logic. 

The decision will likely be more defined by what we bring in through the next few weeks anyway.