The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Where are you getting that from? Can’t find any confirmation of that anywhere. He certainly seemed to have a shoulder injury on Saturday.

From a reliable source 

Hopefully it finally forces us to bring some one in 

28 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

From a reliable source 

Hopefully it finally forces us to bring some one in 

You'd have to be pretty naive to think that we're not doing as much as we can to bring players in. Not being in Europe is presumably having an affect on who wants to come to the club, but even with Leighton Clarkson being out I certainly don't want us being "forced" to bring just anyone into the squad. No panic please.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I do understand what people are saying about Hoilett not 'fitting' what Thelin seemingly wants to do, but I can't help but think that a player like that would be such an asset over the course of a full season, especially when teams are sitting in and happy to concede possession. I lost count of the amount of times last season that we didn't have an individual just capable of breaking down a low block, or making the most of a set play. Hoilett offered that sort of guile and technical ability when he came in, a bit like McGinn did for us so often under McInnes when we weren't playing that well. 

Obviously I don't know what he was asking from the club, but I just think there are always going to be a good chunk of games over the course of a season for a team like us in this league, regardless of how we broadly approach them, where a player like that will just be able to elevate us from a loss to a draw or a draw to a win. 

It’s a blow and that’s undeniable. Players like that aren’t easy to find for the wide positions. 

Can't see Clarkson being out for a relatively short spell changing the plans much. 

McGrath is better centrally than out wide, and it gives Vinnie, Pape, Morris and Duncan better opportunity to stake a claim. 

Long term, i'd rather he had a good look at the squad in proper games and spent where we really need to. 

Hoilett would have been a good option but we look like we've got actual tactics for getting through and round defences so shouldn't need to rely on one player for that. 

Just now, coprolite said:

Can't see Clarkson being out for a relatively short spell changing the plans much. 

McGrath is better centrally than out wide, and it gives Vinnie, Pape, Morris and Duncan better opportunity to stake a claim. 

Long term, i'd rather he had a good look at the squad in proper games and spent where we really need to. 

Hoilett would have been a good option but we look like we've got actual tactics for getting through and round defences so shouldn't need to rely on one player for that. 

This, 100%.

QOTS are obviously a lower level than we'll be playing, but some of the movement against them was night and day than what we were used to for 75% of last season. We were trying to drag them side to side, to find pockets of space. LAst season we would flood the box and put in a hopeful cross.

Hoillett was good for us, but we were just as good for him. Rehabbed his career and now he'll pick up a decent wage with a likely multiple year contract at 34. I don't want to see that happen to us again. See Hayes, Jonny.

Clarkson is huge for us in terms of pressing and getting through defences, but hopefully a shoulder injury won't be anything as long term as Dante's. Midfield looks very light with 2 out injured though, especially when Shinnie and Nilsen pick up so many cards. Thing is, if we bring in someone else, that really limits Fletcher Boyd's opportunities once everyone is back. Hard to find that balance

1 minute ago, Flammable sheep said:

Clarkson is huge for us in terms of pressing and getting through defences, but hopefully a shoulder injury won't be anything as long term as Dante's. Midfield looks very light with 2 out injured though, especially when Shinnie and Nilsen pick up so many cards. Thing is, if we bring in someone else, that really limits Fletcher Boyd's opportunities once everyone is back. Hard to find that balance

No inside knowledge here, but I'd be amazed if Boyd sees much game time this season.

15 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

No inside knowledge here, but I'd be amazed if Boyd sees much game time this season.

Yeah I agree, hopefully being the best goals to minute striker in European football last season doesn’t place unfair expectations on him. 

Context and perspective required for those appearances. 

33 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So Mcgrath plays 10 against St J. Who plays the other 3 attacking roles. 

Bojan 9 with Sokler right and Morris/Vinny/Duncan/Pape left? That's best scenario for me. 

Doubt bojan is starting. 

46 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

Think we're preparing for life without Bojan and will only see him come on if things are going badly.

Front 3 of Morris, Sokler and maybe Pape as he's most match fit?

If he’s anywhere close to a few million pounds transfer, the club are never going to risk him more than they have to.

47 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If he's fit, he should start.

If Bojan and the club are expecting a big offer to come through then I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

He made a difference against Airdrie but looked like he was holding back. I'd rather go with Sokler or Ambrose who are going to be putting everything in.

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So Mcgrath plays 10 against St J. Who plays the other 3 attacking roles. 

Bojan 9 with Sokler right and Morris/Vinny/Duncan/Pape left? That's best scenario for me. 

I’d play McGrath on the left (he has the discipline to track back when required. 
Gueye as a “10” similar to the Dumbarton game. 
Morris will play on the right.  Partly because JT seems to like him, & partly as there’s little alternative.

Mitov. 
Devlin Rubezic Molloy MacKenzie. 
               Nilsen Shinnie. 
       Morris Gueye McGrath   
                    Sokler

Subs: Doohan, Milne, Jensen, McGarry, Duncan, Marshall, Besuijen, Ambrose, Miovski

15 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Mitov. 
Devlin Rubezic Molloy MacKenzie. 
               Nilsen Shinnie. 
       Morris Gueye McGrath   
                    Sokler

Subs: Doohan, Milne, Jensen, McGarry, Duncan, Marshall, Besuijen, Ambrose, Miovski

That is a bottom six squad IMO - even allowing for MacDonald, Polvara and Clarkson coming back in.

Hopefully JT's "irons in the fire" get that sorted.  Usually Burns has leaked them all by now.

We are seriously hamstrung by some of the activity in previous windows. Having guys like Gueye, Morris, Sokler, Mcgarry and I'm sure others on multi-year contracts is complete malpractice. These are guys who wouldn't get a game for teams at the bottom of the league and I assume we are paying them much more than guys at these clubs earn. We also have no chance of shifting them as who on earth would sign them, I genuinely think Thelin would do a pretty good job to get this squad to 5th/6th.