The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I reckon I would back Sokler to get around 12 goals if he was our main striker over the course of a season. If we have the likes of McGrath, Clarkson, a new wide player and the other strikers contributing too then we’d probably get away with that. 

21 hours ago, tarapoa said:

That is a bottom six squad IMO - even allowing for MacDonald, Polvara and Clarkson coming back in.

Hopefully JT's "irons in the fire" get that sorted.  Usually Burns has leaked them all by now.

Arguably, but there's another seven or eight teams with bottom six squads at the moment. 

Not panicking until about half nine on Monday. 

13 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

It’s hard to imagine that the coaching staff got him so wrong last year 

The coaching staff got a lot wrong last year. See Clarkson and Shinnie's massive improvements.

The culture at the club also left him isolated, and that is something Thelin seems to be addressing too. Not saying he's nailed on to be a star for us, but I'm not writing him off yet either.

Also not panicking about lack of signings, Leven got a tune out of this group and we have replaced the outgoing players. I would expect a good winger to come in (maybe a loan, hence the wait?) and then using each subsequent window to address known problem areas. We'll need patience!

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Is your reliable source able to say why nothing has come out anywhere, apart from your post, about Leighton Clarkson’s shoulder injury? When will it be public knowledge?

Confirmed out for up to 8 weeks.

I'm not a medical expert, but not just taking him off shortly after he sustained the injury did seem like an odd decision. He was clearly not right for the remainder of his time on the pitch, and with all due respect to Dumbarton, I'm not sure it was a game nor situation worthy of one of our best players being kept on after fairly extensive treatment. 

Edited by DrewDon

Painfully thin squad in midfield & woeful out wide (Morris, Besuijen, Duncan).

An injury/suspension away from Richard Jensen in centre midfield 😆

Yet some think there’s no rush to bring in players. 

And, for folk who say “aye but there’s 4 weeks to go in the window”… I suggest they check who we’ve signed in the last week of August in the last three summers.

It’s been mainly muck or panic buys 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And, for folk who say “aye but there’s 4 weeks to go in the window”… I suggest they check who we’ve signed in the last week of August in the last three summers.

If you bring in just anyone tomorrow, it’s a panic buy. I trust that there are players in the pipeline. Some fans already not buying into the “let’s be patient out there” ethos.

Edited by kingjoey

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

So do we need to rush in the next 3 weeks to avoid signing anyone in the last week? 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

If you bring in just anyone tomorrow, it’s a panic buy. I trust that there are players in the pipeline. Some fans already not buying into the “let’s be patient out there” ethos.

Oh I’ll be patient with the manager.

I wonder if we are seeing the effects of having to payoff 3 managers in quick succession has taken a dint in our transfer kitty this season? 

Thelin could do worse than start briefing to the media that Dave is broke. If there was ever an owner to start throwing money about because people think he can't, Dave is that man. 

On 01/08/2024 at 22:25, ScottishZizou said:

Are we having a debate as to whether the significant outlay on Pape Gueye was or wasn’t a wise use of money? For the money we spent we should be getting very good Scottish premiership player. It’s hard to imagine that the coaching staff got him so wrong last year 

Im asking a simple question. 

He started 1 game last season,  (in a blizzard!) after having not played in months with the genius tactic of hoofing the ball in his general direction. 

Yet some people have decided he has to be shite based on very little evidence.

I see you have also decided Sokler definitely isnt up to it? While the jury is out hes certainly scored more than the 1 in 26 youve claimed? 

Someone like Ryan Duncan who has played 40 first team games and delivered nothing is more the problem.

Edited by afc_blockhead

Yes. Ryan Duncan is a problem by not being very good at football. He also didn't cost us as much money as Sokler and Gueye who as well as not being very good at football have proven to be money pits.

I hope I'm wrong but all available evidence points to Sokler and Gueye being not very good. You can tell by watching Sokler that he isn't up to it. He looks at best like a bottom half player which doesn't justify what we have spent on him. Gueye was allegedly north of £500k and he hasn't been able to get anywhere near the pitch. Are you happy that we have signed these players? That seems a mental take.

Thelin might end up being a good manager but he's stuck with very expensive players who I would be amazed if he would have wanted to sign at that cost.

Edited by ScottishZizou

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

Yes. Ryan Duncan is a problem by not being very good at football. He also didn't cost us as much money as Sokler and Gueye who as well as not being very good at football have proven to be money pits.

I hope I'm wrong but all available evidence points to Sokler and Gueye being not very good. You can tell by watching Sokler that he isn't up to it. He looks at best like a bottom half player which doesn't justify what we have spent on him. Gueye was allegedly north of £500k and he hasn't been able to get anywhere near the pitch. Are you happy that we have signed these players? That seems a mental take.

Thelin might end up being a good manager but he's stuck with very expensive players who I would be amazed if he would have wanted to sign at that cost.

Sokler best performances came against Rangers, Celtic and Frankfurt.

3 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Sokler best performances came against Rangers, Celtic and Frankfurt.

Yes and this skill set is pretty different to that which is needed in most of our matches. I don’t doubt he can put himself about but I don’t think his quality with the ball is as good as is required or can justify spending a fee and multi year contract for 

30 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Yes and this skill set is pretty different to that which is needed in most of our matches. I don’t doubt he can put himself about but I don’t think his quality with the ball is as good as is required or can justify spending a fee and multi year contract for 

Yet he's scored 4 in 4 so far this season as the main striker. 

Far too early to write him off.