The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

24 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Says a lot about yourself if one incorrect word is that difficult to decipher.

Why would lack of preparation affect a fixture in a few months time? I don’t understand.

1 minute ago, Moorie said:

Would Killie be so quick to request a postponement if they were home to either Rangers or Celtic next weekend? Not a chance the board would have it knowing the revenue they’d lose out on and tv money 

You don't get money for being on the TV in the league, and I doubt the attendance would be very different midweek to whatever time the game would be on. It probably wouldn't be possible if it was on TV though since the broadcaster might veto it.

Get this to f**k. 

Can teams stop pretending competing in Europe is some noble favour to the rest of the league. Yes there is some very minor benefits to killie progressing but killie are there to earn big money for themselves to compete domestically. 

I hope they win on Thursday but fixture congestion is a part of this Europe thing I’m afraid. And I have said the exact same thing about us in the past. 

41 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Would that even be allowed? 

We had 17k last Sunday against St Mirren and I’d expect similar this coming Sunday given our form. We’re going to get a lot more at a Sunday game in August on the back of 7 wins in a row than a midweek in November or whatever. 

We'd be sacrificing our advantage of having fresher legs going into the game too. Would be disappointed if we agree to this. 

There's a midweek date next month that is free for Aberdeen to host Killie.

Killie are within their rights to request it, but it would be odd for Aberdeen to willingly accept. We are on a roll with positive momentum and we have the bonus of not having European football, we should make that benefit count whilst our rivals don't have it and try get our noses ahead of the rest. Also unfair a week out on people who have made plans/family arrangements around the game. Sorry Killie and I hope you get through but it's a ram it from me.

4 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Killie are within their rights to request it, but it would be odd for Aberdeen to willingly accept. We are on a roll with positive momentum and we have the bonus of not having European football, we should make that benefit count whilst our rivals don't have it and try get our noses ahead of the rest. Also unfair a week out on people who have made plans/family arrangements around the game. Sorry Killie and I hope you get through but it's a ram it from me.

The date of the game literally changed from Saturday to Sunday two days ago.

Is there any evidence this (postponement?) does teams any good?

I reckon you just get on with it and play the fixtures as they come.

I hope Killie get through, but I'm not convinced there's any real merit in putting off a game at this stage in the season.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You did do it in 2014 though.

Killie are more than entitled to request the match to be postponed, but my answer would be f*ck off. This won't come into anyone's thinking, but Kilmarnock have zero chance of making the group stages.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The date of the game literally changed from Saturday to Sunday two days ago.

Yes, by a day and a lot of fans will have been prepared for that as they knew it was Killie who were in Europe. You don't think there's a difference between moving by a day that everyone knew was a possibility or moving by weeks from a weekend to a midweek? Or are you being deliberately difficult to try and prove some sort of point? I suspect the second of those.

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

Yes, by a day and a lot of fans will have been prepared for that as they knew it was Killie who were in Europe. You don't think there's a difference between moving by a day that everyone knew was a possibility or moving by weeks from a weekend to a midweek? Or are you being deliberately difficult to try and prove some sort of point? I suspect the second of those.

Surely not??

Quite enjoying the tone of the discussion here.

Mentioned above, I see no point in moving the fixture. But quite funny seeing so many Aberdeen fans ARDENTLY against this, who would unquestionably be backing their club were the roles reversed.

The fitba 🤣

2 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I'm saying it would be fairly difficult to make plans around a game when the date of that game wasn't even known. Unless these people were making plans around both Saturday and Sunday.

FWIW I think this is posturing from killie. They don’t believe they’re getting a postponement. 

Shows the fans they are giving it a real go, makes us look a bit petty and small minded when we say no, despite it being completely reasonable. Puts a little pressure on us to beat them once we say no. 

Let Derek do his thing and see what happens. 

I seem to recall that on one of the eight occasions AFC had this predicament last season, that Kilmarnock legend Kris Boyd liked to remind us on Sky that if we wanted to play with the big boys, we needed to cope with this.

In fact, Kilmarnock benefited from one of these last season with an easy win after we had played PAOK if I recall?

Swings and roundabouts - this kind of option would need to be agreed at the start of the season and how far do you take it considering the amount of fixtures clubs can play in Europe these days?

I think in 2014 each club was allowed to postpone one fixture. Think that included for the purposes of friendlies on the other side of the world if need be. Could that be re-introduced next season?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Quite enjoying the tone of the discussion here.

Mentioned above, I see no point in moving the fixture. But quite funny seeing so many Aberdeen fans ARDENTLY against this, who would unquestionably be backing their club were the roles reversed.

The fitba 🤣

This came up this time last year and distinctly remember saying I wouldn’t support it. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

This came up this time last year and distinctly remember saying I wouldn’t support it. 

Oh, I'm fully aware not everybody. But you and I both know this thread would be very different if the situation were reversed. Any support would be the same.

I just find it quite funny.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Get this to f**k. 

Can teams stop pretending competing in Europe is some noble favour to the rest of the league. Yes there is some very minor benefits to killie progressing but killie are there to earn big money for themselves to compete domestically. 

I hope they win on Thursday but fixture congestion is a part of this Europe thing I’m afraid. And I have said the exact same thing about us in the past. 

Agreed. It would be funny if some club tabled a motion to 'help' teams qualifying/progressing, however if they did the league gets more of a cut of the money from UEFA that's dished out. Soon clubs would shut up about it.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'm saying it would be fairly difficult to make plans around a game when the date of that game wasn't even known. Unless these people were making plans around both Saturday and Sunday.

I was. And one of your repeated points is that we asked for a postponement in 2014. Since then we have been in Europe eight seasons and haven't repeated our request.