The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, kingjoey said:

I was. And one of your repeated points is that we asked for a postponement in 2014. Since then we have been in Europe eight seasons and haven't repeated our request.

I don't see what difference it makes whether you have or haven't repeated your request, that's Aberdeen's business.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Agreed. It would be funny if some club tabled a motion to 'help' teams qualifying/progressing, however if they did the league gets more of a cut of the money from UEFA that's dished out. Soon clubs would shut up about it.

Clubs should get more of a cut of the prize money from Europe.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Oh, I'm fully aware not everybody. But you and I both know this thread would be very different if the situation were reversed. Any support would be the same.

I just find it quite funny.

Similarly I’m sure killie fans were hoping the SFA would step in and help rangers win a quadruple including the uefa cup in 2008…

As I said above, it’s all games anyway. Killie don’t expect to achieve this. 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I was. And one of your repeated points is that we asked for a postponement in 2014. Since then we have been in Europe eight seasons and haven't repeated our request.

According to another post everyone was allowed to postpone 1 fixture in 2014.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't see what difference it makes whether you have or haven't repeated your request, that's Aberdeen's business.

As I previously said, Kilmarnock are quite entitled to ask for this postponement. Ask away.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Agreed. It would be funny if some club tabled a motion to 'help' teams qualifying/progressing, however if they did the league gets more of a cut of the money from UEFA that's dished out. Soon clubs would shut up about it.

I think this would be a good thing, to be honest. I'd be all for more of the money being dished out between the clubs. That would need to bring a bit of give and take, but I think it would generally be a good thing.

Postponing games just seems a bit silly to me. You've got to play it some time, so why not just get it done and not have to fit it in in a midweek later in the season when it becomes a problem of its own?

Just play the games. Having the congestion is good. It means you're doing well.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would be more supportive of it if uefa prize money was genuinely used to improve the game as a whole. But that’s clearly not what clubs want out of it. 

Did Kilmarnock request a postponement of their Celtic Park fixture between the Cercle and Tromsø matches? Let me guess.

Do they have any centre halves suspended for next week when a ‘low block’ is a more likely tactic? Probably.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

According to another post everyone was allowed to postpone 1 fixture in 2014.

Don't think @craigkillie will be keen on that fact. I do remember that now. It was because Celtic got a postponement for a friendly, so every team got a freebie.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm saying it would be fairly difficult to make plans around a game when the date of that game wasn't even known. Unless these people were making plans around both Saturday and Sunday.

Which is why they should have made the request before now.

After the first leg with Tromso they could have spoken to Aberdeen and the SPFL and asked the question. Then Friday morning they could have confirmed it.

You don't wait until the Sunday, after the game has already been locked in for the 25th, to then brief the media that you're considering asking for a postponement.

Just now, Dunty said:

Which is why they should have made the request before now.

After the first leg with Tromso they could have spoken to Aberdeen and the SPFL and asked the question. Then Friday morning they could have confirmed it.

You don't wait until the Sunday, after the game has already been locked in for the 25th, to then brief the media that you're considering asking for a postponement.

To be fair, at this point we don't know whether Killie did previously raise this with the league or their opponents.

If they did, I'd imagine they'd have asked for it to remain under wraps, as anything like that would be greeted with massive piss-taking had they lost the previous tie. Similar to how people go on about cancelled parades after teams lose cup finals, as if the parade is just chucked together in less than 24 hours.

I don't think it really matters, as Aberdeen have no incentive to agree. They're staring at a first round of fixtures with three home fixtures against teams who have played a European game on the Thursday. They'd be mad to give that up, and nobody is going to make them. Storm in a tea cup.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm saying it would be fairly difficult to make plans around a game when the date of that game wasn't even known. Unless these people were making plans around both Saturday and Sunday.

It's obviously not the end of the world if people miss a game. However families like mine will make plans based on weekends. We decide which weekends to visit the in-laws based on home/away games as sacrificing home games when we fork out a fortune for season tickets for us all seems pretty wasteful. On top of that midweek games not as easy with bedtimes etc but sometimes it obviously can't be avoided.

As good as 2014 was for Derek, maybe he should take inspiration from 2015.

On the Thursday, we played a European tie v Kairat 150 miles from the Chinese border, five time zones away.

On the Sunday, we went to Tannadice and won 1-0.

Saying that United did pump us 3-0 at Pittodrie on the opening match three days after the Sociedad second leg the previous season.

The St Mirren postponement must have been a couple of weeks after we were out .

Whilst I’m overreacting to this, my other gripe with these requests is that I always strongly suspect it has less to do with increasing their chances in Europe, those games always take care of themselves, it’s usually just trying to mitigate the damage to the domestic campaign. 

Alan Burrows was the CEO at Motherwell when we moved a game to give Rangers extra time to prepare for a Europa League game and has said he wants all 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 to do well in Europe for the coefficient. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aberdeen agree to it.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Alan Burrows was the CEO at Motherwell when we moved a game to give Rangers extra time to prepare for a Europa League game and has said he wants all 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 to do well in Europe for the coefficient. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aberdeen agree to it.

With respect to Motherwell, this is a bit different.

Aberdeen will view Killie as a direct rival for third place, and with this year being the last for a while (probably) for direct group stage access, it's a different decision he's making now. Aberdeen have been dealt a good hand here, and they'd be daft to give it up.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whilst I’m overreacting to this, my other gripe with these requests is that I always strongly suspect it has less to do with increasing their chances in Europe, those games always take care of themselves, it’s usually just trying to mitigate the damage to the domestic campaign. 

I was about to type something similar.  In effect we'd we agreeing to something mainly intended to improve Killie's chances of taking points off us this season. I hope we're not that gullible.

30 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Did Kilmarnock request a postponement of their Celtic Park fixture between the Cercle and Tromsø matches? Let me guess.

Do they have any centre halves suspended for next week when a ‘low block’ is a more likely tactic? Probably.

We had a centre-back suspended for the Celtic game, and the tactics there are hardly that different to at Pittodrie

Clearly you're not going to want to have every single game in August postponed, and if you're picking one it's always going to be the one between the two play-off round games. We still wanted match fitness at that point - McInnes specifically mentioned it in relation to the St Johnstone game last week. However, having now played 7 times in the last 4 weeks we're presumably at that stage.

Edited by craigkillie

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The date of the game literally changed from Saturday to Sunday two days ago.

Exactly, been switched once.

Why didn't you make your request two days ago.

Mikey Mouse club 

P.S f**k McInnes