The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We had a centre-back suspended for the Celtic game, and the tactics there are hardly that different to at Pittodrie

Clearly you're not going to want to have every single game in August postponed, and if you're picking one it's always going to be the one between the two play-off round games. We still wanted match fitness at that point - McInnes specifically mentioned it in relation to the St Johnstone game last week. However, having now played 7 times in the last 4 weeks we're presumably at that stage.

The question remains though. Is there any evidence it does anyone any good?

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I don't have a clue, it would always be hard to prove this either way. There must be fitness advantages to having more space in between your games though.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't have a clue, it would always be hard to prove this either way. There must be fitness advantages to having more space in between your games though.

There might be. But at the same time Killie didn't play in the League Cup group stages, so maybe at this stage they're just building up to full speed.

I think if teams are going to be requesting disruption to the fixture list, then there needs to be an evidence base for it.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think if teams are going to be requesting disruption to the fixture list, then there needs to be an evidence base for it.

It is disrupting precisely two clubs, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. Clubs request fixture changes for all sort of reasons, I don't see why there would need to be a higher bar set for this one.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't see what difference it makes whether you have or haven't repeated your request, that's Aberdeen's business.

What about an apology around intimating that Aberdeen made a special request to postpone a match against St Mirren in 2014, when in fact every team in the top division had the entitlement to ask for one match to be postponed regardless of the reason that season. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It is disrupting precisely two clubs, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. Clubs request fixture changes for all sort of reasons, I don't see why there would need to be a higher bar set for this one.

Yes because the nature of league football determines that results only impact the two clubs directly involved. 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

What about an apology around intimating that Aberdeen made a special request to postpone a match against St Mirren in 2014, when in fact every team in the top division had the entitlement to ask for one match to be postponed regardless of the reason that season. 

Don’t expect reason or sense from that clown 😂

We’ve all known about the game possibly being a Sunday. When I got my son a ticket through is junior DNA on the 3rd of August the girl at the ticket office did advise a possibility it being changed then. Always the poss

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm saying it would be fairly difficult to make plans around a game when the date of that game wasn't even known. Unless these people were making plans around both Saturday and Sunday.

We’ve all known about the game possibly being a Sunday. When I got my son a ticket through is junior DNA on the 3rd of August the girl at the ticket office did advise a possibility it being changed then. 

16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

With respect to Motherwell, this is a bit different.

Aberdeen will view Killie as a direct rival for third place, and with this year being the last for a while (probably) for direct group stage access, it's a different decision he's making now. Aberdeen have been dealt a good hand here, and they'd be daft to give it up.

Killie qualifying for Europe would probably see them dropping more league points by playing twice a week, which would benefit Aberdeen. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Not necessarily.

Firstly, theres the question of why Aberdeen should be inconvenienced.

Secondly, when is the game played? What if the weather is bad and it gets postponed, and then it runs on to conflict with other games in a bad winter? What if Aberdeen have an injury crisis for the rearranged date? What if one of the teams has to play a game at Dens?

Why not avoid all these possible issues by just playing the game?

It seems to me that Killie's contention here is that they should be allowed to not play at the weekend because they have to play on Thursday. If you're going to argue that, then you need to give a good reason why. Teams play with a 4-day gap all the time. It's completely normal.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I presume If Copenhagen win 3-0 on Thursday we can move the game back to the Sunday? 

😂

Exactly. 

A polite GTF will suffice. 

The irony of a perennial European failure as Aberdeen manager who is now looking for Aberdeen to help him in a play off round he never got Aberdeen to. 

The game will be dead after the first leg. 

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

In the past decade that AFC have been dealing with this, the evidence based on results (vs normal parity v same opponent) would suggest it has a negative impact on league form.

Robson took it to extremes last season by hardly using his squad at all - and some of the Sunday performances (often after a fine Thursday night showing) were lamentable.

Hearts have stated they have two players of first team calibre for every position this season - again that can have its disadvantages as managers get tempted to chop and change too much.  Naismith yesterday at Falkirk, very much echoes of Glass v Raith ahead of the Qarabag play-off tie.  Maybe we should have got that postponed instead. 

Quite a few English clubs seem to moan about it - and something about Thursday/Sunday seems psychologically harder to cope with than Wednesday/Saturday.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

My understanding was that clubs could ask for their first home fixture to be postponed (ie only fixtures in the first two matchweeks could be disrupted), and this was Aberdeen's second. The statement at the time said that it was with the agreement of both clubs, if it was based on an entitlement then St Mirren would have needed to agree.

These postponements were also typically announced around the time the fixture list came out, not two weeks before the match. For example, both of the below were already known in late June.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13110283.postponing-celtic-game-friendly-ridiculous-insists-goodwin/
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/kilmarnock-to-welcome-premiership-big-guns-1106599

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Not necessarily.

Firstly, theres the question of why Aberdeen should be inconvenienced.

Secondly, when is the game played? What if the weather is bad and it gets postponed, and then it runs on to conflict with other games in a bad winter? What if Aberdeen have an injury crisis for the rearranged date? What if one of the teams has to play a game at Dens?

Why not avoid all these possible issues by just playing the game?

It seems to me that Killie's contention here is that they should be allowed to not play at the weekend because they have to play on Thursday. If you're going to argue that, then you need to give a good reason why. Teams play with a 4-day gap all the time. It's completely normal.

There are two free midweeks in September, for a start.

Just now, tarapoa said:

In the past decade that AFC have been dealing with this, the evidence based on results (vs normal parity v same opponent) would suggest it has a negative impact on league form.

Robson took it to extremes last season by hardly using his squad at all - and some of the Sunday performances (often after a fine Thursday night showing) were lamentable.

Hearts have stated they have two players of first team calibre for every position this season - again that can have its disadvantages as managers get tempted to chop and change too much.  Naismith yesterday at Falkirk, very much echoes of Glass v Raith ahead of the Qarabag play-off tie.  Maybe we should have got that postponed instead. 

Quite a few English clubs seem to moan about it - and something about Thursday/Sunday seems psychologically harder to cope with than Wednesday/Saturday.

I don't dispute that playing Thursday - Sunday is a difficult thing. That's obvious, and there's no question it makes getting a good result in your league games more difficult.

But before the European game you've still got a completely normal preparation gap. The issue is the preparation for the league game, and the lack of rest. There's no real issue with freshness for the European game. No worse than in a normal week with a midweek game.

My point is that being in Europe is good and that the difficulty with the league games is just a part of the deal. Is there any evidence that postponing before a European game helps in that European game, because that's what Killie are seemingly asking for.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are two free midweeks in September, for a start.

What if it pishes down and the game is off?

People will just ask why you didn't just play the game as it was.

Obviously, that's an unlikely scenario, but the point remains that if Killie want to disrupt things, they need to provide a reason why and back it up with some evidence.

We're going to be going to Aberdeen, Hibs, and Killie away after European games this year. We could make the same coefficient argument and ask for each of those games to be postponed? To when?

Being in Europe is difficult. Just play the games.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Obviously, that's an unlikely scenario, but the point remains that if Killie want to disrupt things, they need to provide a reason why and back it up with some evidence.

We're going to be going to Aberdeen, Hibs, and Killie away after European games this year. We could make the same coefficient argument and ask for each of those games to be postponed? To when?

If the game is off it can then be moved to one of the other dozen or so available midweeks between now and the split.

As far as I know, none, or maybe one of those Hearts fixtures are sandwiched in between two European games. Clearly asking for a league game to be postponed after a European fixture would be daft anyway.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Teams are desperate to qualify to play in a European competition and while they are trying to do that, they know exactly what this entails. Which is, if you play in a competition where playing on a Thursday is a necessity, then you know that your league games will be on a Sunday.