The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

You have to give the guy a break. He was decent before he was lured down south. A lot of these guys are fine if they are scoring week in week out. He should get plenty of opportunities 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I think he will be good. Certainly better than anything else we have in that position at the moment. Not sure I really understand the negativity, to be honest. 

Reminds me of the reaction to us signing McGrath last summer.

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think he will be good. Certainly better than anything else we have in that position at the moment. Not sure I really understand the negativity, to be honest. 

Think you’re confusing a lack of positivity with negativity. 

I find it underwhelming but I’m very open minded to being wrong. 

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Last chance for him before he drops down the leagues I feel.

seems to be something some Hibs players maybe it’s the life in Edinburgh but always seems so be a off field antics been happening for years. Probably why he doesn’t fancy going back there 

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Is this a Thelin identified signing? Probably not

Does he have a history of injuries and lack of fitness? Yes

Is he a loan signing that we likely cannot afford if he does well? Yes

It's not necessarily negative, it's just that people might find this an unimaginative signing that will have limited long-term effect beyond this season.

If he does well, we can't afford to buy him, if he doesn't do well then we won't want him.

I won't complain if he bangs in 20 goals and we have a successful season but for this signing to be a success then it will be within the confines of 2024/25.

We’re unlikely to sign a foreign project player this late in the window with all the hoops you have to jump through. It makes sense to bring in a known quantity with a proven track record of performing in this league in the short term with a view to bring in someone more in line with our transfer strategy in a year or so if we need to. 

21 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We’re unlikely to sign a foreign project player this late in the window with all the hoops you have to jump through. It makes sense to bring in a known quantity with a proven track record of performing in this league in the short term with a view to bring in someone more in line with our transfer strategy in a year or so if we need to. 

Agreed, and that’s all fine. But it doesn’t mean you need to be excited about Kevin Nisbet. 

3 hours ago, Moorie said:

Last chance for him before he drops down the leagues I feel.

seems to be something some Hibs players maybe it’s the life in Edinburgh but always seems so be a off field antics been happening for years. Probably why he doesn’t fancy going back there 

I don’t think he’s anywhere near last chance territory. There are plenty of Premiership teams that would think they could get a tune out of Nisbet even if he doesn’t do much with us.

I’m not sure life in Edinburgh will have been too chaotic for him, either; he got his £2m move off the back of his excellent form at Hibs. If we can get him back to anything near that level then we will have one of the best strikers in the league.

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I don’t think he’s anywhere near last chance territory. There are plenty of Premiership teams that would think they could get a tune out of Nisbet even if he doesn’t do much with us.

I’m not sure life in Edinburgh will have been too chaotic for him, either; he got his £2m move off the back of his excellent form at Hibs. If we can get him back to anything near that level then we will have one of the best strikers in the league.

The way I see it, a brilliant season with us and he gets that move to Celtic.

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Agree on all this - I also felt a McGrath was a sensible but unexciting signing at the time, and he's been excellent.

The best-case scenario with Nisbet, if there's an option to buy, would be what's happened for Hearts with Shankland - Nisbet's never been as prolific, but if we get a reliable Premiership goalscorer who's just slightly too old/not quite good enough to attract serious interest from richer clubs, then it'd be great.