The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

51 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The announcement seems unnecessary given the nature of deadline day and hundreds of players coming available, at least on loan, in the coming hours.

Maybe a bluff, maybe a huff……

At least we're not scrambling about like Celtic and Rangers in the final few hours of a transfer window that's been open for the last 2 months. 

Scott Burns now reporting that Bavidge is set to join Ayr on loan. 

When it comes to Boyd, you have to hope, despite us now being pretty well stocked in his area of the pitch, that there are opportunities for him to build on his end to last season - and also as something of a reward for signing a contract that looked pretty unlikely at one stage. 

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Strange to retain both Boyd and Bavidge in the squad - when one or both would surely benefit more from regular football at a decent level.

You can still move on loan to the lower leagues after the window SLAMS shut. Might only be for a week or so.

For Jimmy’s first transfer window I think it’s been pretty solid. This is a work in progress but the squad appears to quite balanced already, squad depth and quality is still an issue. Only one loan signing too, which is good. It’ll be interesting to see how we get on when the fixtures start piling up towards the end of the year. 

12 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Pretty underwhelming.

I don't think it is underwhelming. People have to be realistic. We'd all like to have top class cover in every position, and we don't have that, but I think we've signed well. Pretty sure we'd have had other players in our sights but we can't force players to come to Aberdeen. 

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I don't think it is underwhelming. People have to be realistic. We'd all like to have top class cover in every position, and we don't have that, but I think we've signed well. Pretty sure we'd have had other players in our sights but we can't force players to come to Aberdeen. 

Every time thelin talks about signings he comments on how much they wanted to be here. Doesn’t strike me that he has much time for attempting to force anyone. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You've your opinion, I've mine 👍🏻

13 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Pretty underwhelming. 

Underwhelming in what way?

Because we had no-one coming in on the last day? 
I’m sick of the Sky Sports led frenzy that is “deadline day”. Numbers & figures bandied about like confetti. 

Overall, we’ve had a pretty good window.

Yes, we’re light in one or two areas, but to fix our squad in one window was unrealistic. 
We best hope we don’t have injuries in defence though as two of the three covering defenders are a pish McGarry & a relatively untried Milne. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

12 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Underwhelming in what way?

Because we had no-one coming in on the last day? 
I’m sick of the Sky Sports led frenzy that is “deadline day”. Numbers & figures bandied about like confetti. 

Overall, we’ve had a pretty good window.

Yes, we’re light in one or two areas, but to fix our squad in one window was unrealistic. 
We best hope we don’t have injuries in defence though as two of the three covering defenders are a pish McGarry & a relatively untried Milne. 

Anyone who isn't underwhelmed is kidding themselves.

We've been trying to get players in for the positions we're  light in for a few weeks. We haven't been able to get anyone.

The club, manager or Gunn obviously don't have the pull they need. It's been obvious for well over a year that we need more width. We got one boy in.

We are lacking depth in defence. Let the only left sided centre back cover we have leave on loan without replacement. 

I was probably the most positive person on here in regards to preseason and what we were doing, I'm sure I can be forgiven for thinking there's more we could have done.

That shite about not getting anyone in on the last day can get in the bin as well.

I’d give the window a 7 out of 10.

Some very good signings and a couple of obvious gaps - but maybe Jimmy feels he can get a tune out of others already in the building - and if needs must, I suppose Shinnie can drop back too.

Gk: Mitov (Doohan) - upgraded

Rb: Devlin (Milne) - unchanged, okish

Cb: Rubi, Molloy (MacDonald, Milne) - upgraded? Shallow 

Lb: McKenzie (McGarry) - unchanged, please no injury. 

Cm: Nilsen, Shinnie (Ante & Dante) upgraded 

Am/wings: Keskinnen, Clarkson, McGrath (Besuijen, Gueye, Morris) upgraded 

Striker: Sokler or Nisbet (Ambrose) downgraded, inevitably. 

Better looking, more balanced first 11. Not much depth, midfield may be ok but two aggressive players in their thirties will miss matches. 

Injuries in defence will cost us, although we can register Considine outside the window in a pinch. 

Nisbet an Palaversa both big unknowns as to which version turns up. 

Getting a tune out of rejects is a big bonus. 

Hopefully the January window is more productive than usual because of the nordic seasons. 

Not blown away but do have confidence there's a plan being implemented, which feels weird. 

I think time will tell whether we have actually upgraded at centre-back. Molloy has started fine enough and looks decent on the ground, but there are times when he has looked uncomfortable against more physical opponents. I was interested to see how he coped against someone like Vassell, but obviously he didn't play last week. He kind of looks a bit like a left-sided Gartenmann to me (and that is absolutely fine - probably higher than my expectations - for a relatively young player coming from the LoI), but it is early days. 

MacDonald is overrated by our fans, but he is at least experienced cover for Rubezic - who has been quietly very good so far this season, I think - on the right. If he had to cover the left, I would more concerned about the impact on our build up and perhaps the balance of the defence, so the left side of the defence definitely feels like the one area where we are most obviously short of a body.

Edited by DrewDon

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Doesn’t feel like there’s much disagreement on where we are as a squad. Just varying degrees of confidence/concern in it. 

A couple of young loanees until January and I'd probably have been delighted.

Don't think we have anyone ready to step up yet.