The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

41 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

At risk of opening an old debate, the tackle on Sokler against Kilmarnock was covered in Collum's first monthly VAR review. The whole thing is actually a decent listen, but this is the only one of our decisions played. 

That is an excellent watch, and whatever you think about Willie Collum, he explains the incidents very well. Also, as I’ve still got a bee in my bonnet about Gordon Duncan not taking over from Richard Gordon, can you imagine Kenny McIntyre having the same cool and calm approach to these incidents? Aye right.

On 07/08/2024 at 14:52, ScottishZizou said:

You can tell by watching Gueye play that he is not of the required quality, it's immensely obvious even in the brief glimpses of him we are getting.

Ratioed by the top goalscorer in the Scottish Premiership ATOP (At Time Of Posting).

20240914_ABDN_V_WELL_042-1024x683.jpg

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Ratioed by the top goalscorer in the Scottish Premiership ATOP (At Time Of Posting).

20240914_ABDN_V_WELL_042-1024x683.jpg

I am very happy to admit that Mr Gueye is making me look like a fool. I wrote him off too early and he’s leaving me eating humble pie. 
The wife and kids tried to warn me but I wasn’t having it

9 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I am very happy to admit that Mr Gueye is making me look like a fool. I wrote him off too early and he’s leaving me eating humble pie. 
The wife and kids tried to warn me but I wasn’t having it

Down to the difference of a manger who knows what they are doing. 

I’ve seen a couple of redtv interviews with pape now and he seems a really likeable guy so it is great to see what’s happening. 

Im going to say I’m still not convinced we’re dealing with a great footballer here, but he keeps surprising me. Pace and power can take you a long way in this league. 

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve seen a couple of redtv interviews with pape now and he seems a really likeable guy so it is great to see what’s happening. 

Im going to say I’m still not convinced we’re dealing with a great footballer here, but he keeps surprising me. Pace and power can take you a long way in this league. 

Yip.

Love the guy but let's hope someone makes a daft offer in the summer as I don't think it's sustainable.

It's only the middle of September, so let's hold off trying to sell him just yet!

I thought yesterday was Gueye's most well rounded performance so far. In other games, including ones he has scored valuable goals in, he still looked like he had the touch of a trampoline at times and just made some bizarre decisions. But yesterday was the first time I have watched him and thought that he looked like a pretty decent footballer. 

His size is a huge asset for us tactically, too. Obviously four of his five goals have been headers, but he also has an ability to occupy defenders and create space for others to exploit. He also gives us an alternative target to hit and makes us less predictable in the build up. Polvara offered that function at times for us under Robson last season, particularly in Europe, but it is more natural to Gueye.

Admittedly, his run of scoring is probably unsustainable, but it is difficult to make a case for taking him out of the team at the moment, even with Clarkson returning to fitness.

I know that this could all end very soon, but the ten matches so far this season have been, on the whole, great entertainment. Light years away from the last few years dire, pass the ball along the back line ad infinitum, football. We are trying to get forward as quickly as possible and we seem to have the players to carry out this game. We certainly haven’t blown anyone away as yet, but we are continually trying to get goals. The partnership of Shinnie and Nilsen has been superb so far, and Nilsen looks like a fantastic signing. I was a bit worried when I saw that Shinnie was missing yesterday but needn’t have worried. On a different note, I was sitting in the Main Stand directly opposite the normal away section that had been released to home fans, and couldn’t see a spare seat. Totally packed and great to see.

Palaversa did well for his first start, I thought, but looked like more of a number six - and therefore a Nilsen deputy rather than a Shinnie one.

I have seen some people saying we didn't miss Shinnie - and I don't think I agree with that, even if his absence was less pronounced than it might have been otherwise. We missed Shinnie's ability to drive between the lines and add a bit of chaos to our attacks, especially when the game itself became needlessly chaotic at the end. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Palaversa did well for his first start, I thought, but looked like more of a number six - and therefore a Nilsen deputy rather than a Shinnie one.

I have seen some people saying we didn't miss Shinnie - and I don't think I agree with that, even if his absence was less pronounced than it might have been otherwise. We missed Shinnie's ability to drive between the lines and add a bit of chaos to our attacks, especially when the game itself became needlessly chaotic at the end. 

We definitely missed Shinnie, but we had enough about ourselves to still get the win.

11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Palaversa and nilssen together definitely isn’t the ideal balance you’d want to the midfield. Showed badly in the 2nd half when our control of the game weakened (plus the fact palaversa tired). 

12 hours ago, coprolite said:

Also Morris - valuable contributor now. Didn't see that coming. Rubi noticeably more disciplined and better coached. Shinnie used far more effectively. 

We've got a step up in opponents through October. Will be good to take stock after that. 

Ruby still had a few moments where he rushed out from his position to try & win a ball he’d never get near, meaning a simple one-two gets you in behind him.

One led to his booking, there was a couple of others where he charged out and either got by passed or he had to foul.

He still gives me the fear to be honest. 

24 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Ruby still had a few moments where he rushed out from his position to try & win a ball he’d never get near, meaning a simple one-two gets you in behind him.

One led to his booking, there was a couple of others where he charged out and either got by passed or he had to foul.

He still gives me the fear to be honest. 

He’s definitely got a way to go but this season it’s more like a bit of impetuousness and a bit of inexperience whereas last year it was like “what the f**k is he doing?”.  

It might just be that we haven’t played anyone that can punish it yet. 

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

He’s definitely got a way to go but this season it’s more like a bit of impetuousness and a bit of inexperience whereas last year it was like “what the f**k is he doing?”.  

It might just be that we haven’t played anyone that can punish it yet. 

Yeah I think we’ve moved from ‘solid for 85 minutes then just blow it all up’ to ‘consistently solid with moments of poor decision making’. 

Notably so far the rushes of blood to the head seem to come further up the pitch where we’re trying to press and win the ball back, rather than lunging at players in our own box.