The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

No doubting Hoban’s ability when fit but there is nothing in his career history to suggest he can stay fit. No point in having a talented player on the squad if he is injured all the time. Better off looking elsewhere sadly. 

5 minutes ago, Jute said:

No doubting Hoban’s ability when fit but there is nothing in his career history to suggest he can stay fit. No point in having a talented player on the squad if he is injured all the time. Better off looking elsewhere sadly. 

We've maybe lucked in to the fact he is going to struggle to get a guaranteed contract elsewhere whereas we'd be delighted to have him on a low wage, high bonus deal?

30 minutes ago, Jute said:

Correct. Hoban was very good when he played for us, but it was an extremely small sample size. He's 26 now and I don't think he has even reached triple figures for competitive games in his senior career. McKenna is a first name on the teamsheet - you can't replace that sort of player with a crock. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah. It's a sly way of saying we have nae money.

The problem with enforcing a philosophy like this is you are one poor managerial appointment away from throwing it out the window.

It was all quite bizarre. It came with such a fanfare and it felt like it didn't really say anything of substance.

The commitment to a 'brand' of football is interesting. More in whether Cormack is imposing it on Mcinnes with attendances dropping. In which case it could be an issue going forward. It could be nothing like that though.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It was all quite bizarre. It came with such a fanfare and it felt like it didn't really say anything of substance.

The commitment to a 'brand' of football is interesting. More in whether Cormack is imposing it on Mcinnes with attendances dropping. In which case it could be an issue going forward. It could be nothing like that though.

That's all lip service really. What you call attractive football could be completely different than mine etc.

I'm all for them taking young players through to sell them but as I say if McInnes leaves and we employ someone with the main focus of using young players while still achieving results well as soon as that goes tatties the next man is going to get a blank canvas.

Think Cathro to Levein.

If we are to sign hoban, surely we would have some kind of back-up plan for it be does end up knackered, prepping one of the young loons to step up maybe? Surely something must be in the works regarding a centre half, when McKenna goes, being left with three recognised centre halfs is far from ideal. 

fit like btw, long  time reader, thought it was about time I signed up.

Edited by Granite_don 22
Mis selling

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

That's all lip service really. What you call attractive football could be completely different than mine etc.

I'm all for them taking young players through to sell them but as I say if McInnes leaves and we employ someone with the main focus of using young players while still achieving results well as soon as that goes tatties the next man is going to get a blank canvas.

Think Cathro to Levein.

Absolutely. I'd say 99% of football clubs have no business deciding the style of football the first team play in the board room.

Even if you do, it's more suited to a DoF type structure with a first team coach with a much scaled back role to what Mcinnes does.

To expand on your example...Levein/Neilson to Levein/Cathro to solely Levein (including changing your entire team everytime) was probably the most bat shit mental way of running your football operation you could go for.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely. I'd say 99% of football clubs have no business deciding the style of football the first team play in the board room.

Even if you do, it's more suited to a DoF type structure with a first team coach with a much scaled back role to what Mcinnes does.

To expand on your example...Levein/Neilson to Levein/Cathro to solely Levein (including changing your entire team everytime) was probably the most bat shit mental way of running your football operation you could go for.

Exactly. I'm not against the DoF model personally, but not while McInnes is years in to his job.

Well exactly. And Cathro was left with the /physical players Levein and Nelson had. Levein then came in to try and play hid physical style with the dregs they couldn't get rid of from Neilsons time and the crap he'd managed to get in for Cathro.

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

From the outside looking in it was the commitment to a "brand" of football that struck me as definitely having the potential to bite you on the arse. Am I right in thinking that one of the criticisms of Milne was there was a view that he just let McInnes have the run of the place as long as he was finishing 2nd or 3rd?

I'm definitely of the view that if a club wants to enact change then it needs to come from the board room. We're an example of a club who made conscious choices in what our business model needed to be going forward, compare the emphasis on bringing through youth and player trading now under Robinson to what it was like under McCall. Having a clear 'philosophy' for the club is a good thing (which is why I was interested in reading the AFC document) but imposing subjective restraints on your manager in terms of 'style' - especially a manager who's been in the job as long as McInnes has - feels quite confrontational.

That said I suppose he knows where he stands and he's got more KPIs to meet than he possibly has previously.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Loved Willy's input. Based on no knowledge of the situation at all.

He’s a Celtic fan. They know absolutely everything about football, politics and all things throughout the world. And they’re always right. Have I missed anything?