St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a fucking grip and back yer team...

Did you set the prices, or do you leave that to Steve?

I think he's lying to you about the club being skint as well. Look at the last set of published accounts. Unless he's squandered £1 million on salaries for all his pals, it should still be in the bank.

8000 at McD tomorrow night will prove the clubs pricing for Euro games is spot on.. FFS folk are moaning about nae signings ( because we are skint ) and then complain when the club ( the they purport to love) try to make a bit of hay while the fucking sun shines..

All this success on the pitch in the last few years ( 8th, 8th, 6th,3rd & 6th)in the SPL, Europe 3 seasons on the bounce, Away wins in Rosenbourg and Minsk, knocking out Rosebourg & Luzern, a league cup semi, a Scottish cup WIN.. and yet some c***s cannae help themselves.. Moan moan moan....Christ knows what some of you will be like when it goes tits up ( as it certainly will at some point) and we have a shite season and get relegated.

lets be honest here. you'll all have mobile phones, go on holiday and happily spend £50 plus on a night on the pish but If you cannae afford £26 then I am truly sorry,

Get a fucking grip and back yer team...

I agree with much of this post - just a couple of things really;

1) I'm sorry to say this, but I really doubt we'll get as many as 8000 at this game. It's a first leg so we wont see a conclusion and quite a few people don't seem to even realise the game is on tomorrow! I think we'll get somewhere between five and six thousand. I will be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong, mind.

2) You can't honestly believe that the club are skint? I know the club have pumped a bit of money into youth development and the maintenance/infrastructure at the stadium is currently being improved, as well as the training facilites, but there's no way that's rendering us 'skint' now. Bearing in mind it's the 3rd place finish from last season in the accounts as well as two cup runs and the associated tv money from both the bbc and sky for the semi finals and final, the prize money from both, the two huge European home games and the European prize money (albeit I understand that would've been offset by travel, particularly to Minsk at relatively short notice). We also had 8000 paying away fans over christmas, with Dundee United and Celtic both bringing huge supports. All this on top of us reducing our playing budget by £300k and the fact we had 7 figures in the bank at the close of the last accounts, it's hard to believe we're skint.

We've also released 5 players, 4 of whom would've been on good money. I know that the extra month's wage for all the renewed contracts over the summer isn't exactly ideal, but other than last year, we've always had the squad tied down early. Most seasons in the first division and under Del, we went into June with the the bulk of the squad signed up with a few new players being brought in sporadically at the end of May and throughout June and July. It just doesn't add up.

Did you set the prices, or do you leave that to Steve?

I think he's lying to you about the club being skint as well. Look at the last set of published accounts. Unless he's squandered £1 million on salaries for all his pals, it should still be in the bank.

Did you set the prices, or do you leave that to Steve?"

what sort of smart arsed comment is that?? :wacko:

WTF is your problem?? You seem to have issues because I have been on the FFG. I really don't get it. Are you actually fucking jealous?? Surely not.. You seem to have some idea that whatever our chairman says and does, I agree with him. If that is the case you are way of the mark. the difference with me is that when i disagree with him, I am happy to tell him to his face.

I always think face to face is the best way... ;)

I was certainly jealous that night Martin Hardie was going to deck you...

Your posts used to be a good read, now a large number of them scan as a press release for St Johnstone FC (with added expletives), or as if one of the board have typed it themselves. Merely a light-hearted poke at your new Comical Ali status.

You keep representing my views to Steve though (his words) as I'm sure you are doing a great job.

I was certainly jealous that night Martin Hardie was going to deck you...

Your posts used to be a good read, now a large number of them scan as a press release for St Johnstone FC (with added expletives), or as if one of the board have typed it themselves. Merely a light-hearted poke at your new Comical Ali status.

You keep representing my views to Steve though (his words) as I'm sure you are doing a great job.

The only thing comical I see is here is your idea that I am representing anyone but me on here. My opinions about the football team I support are mine and mine alone. For you to suggest otherwise is simply well off the mark.

Have a word with yer mate Beatson about the meetings, about what goes on and about the mundane shite that is discussed.

And once you have done that, have a word with yersel.

Was that at Livi midweek? that was megaLOLZ

I fully expect the crowd to be decent tomorrow which justifies the clubs pricing, I just think to ask for £26 twice in a week is a bit shit on the fans I guess the Celtic game will be the same? I think that is usually the price? I doubt there will be many pay as you go punters at that one after being asked to pay this price twice already.

The only thing comical I see is here is your idea that I am representing anyone but me on here. My opinions about the football team I support are mine and mine alone. For you to suggest otherwise is simply well off the mark.

Have a word with yer mate Beatson about the meetings, about what goes on and about the mundane shite that is discussed.

And once you have done that, have a word with yersel.

Read your post a couple up. Like Kyle, I agree with a lot of it but the part about us being skint is just nonsense that the club want us to believe. When a chap that is/was more than capable of rational thought starts coming away with that, it reads like it's someone else pulling the strings. I can only tell you how I perceive your posts as compared to what they used to be, whether that is or isn't the case.

Maybe the chairman should stop hiding behind the fans group when he makes decisions and it won't be misconstrued that he is using a dozen people to represent the views of an entire support. In reality, I know you are only representing your own views but the chairman on more than one occasion has suggested otherwise when giving interviews and trying to justify things.

I appreciate I started this but if talk about prices and food was banal, this must be even worse.

Saints lost 2-1.. Magic night right enough ;)

Just for that heated debate and the mystical Nick McKoy was totally worth it!!

I just think to ask for £26 twice in a week is a bit shit on the fans I guess the Celtic game will be the same? I think that is usually the price? I doubt there will be many pay as you go punters at that one after being asked to pay this price twice already.

It's a shame that Celtic is the first game as I thought it could have been an imaginative idea to offer admission at 1989 prices for the first home game since it's 25 years at McDiarmid Park. Off the back of a few European games that might have been possible but clearly understand when you have 4,000 Celtic fans coming, you don't do that. Even the next home game against Aberdeen doesn't really suit it. Would have maybe got a bit of press coverage though an appealed to a lot of lapsed fans who look back on that period fondly.

I know that the extra month's wage for all the renewed contracts over the summer isn't exactly ideal, but other than last year, we've always had the squad tied down early. Most seasons in the first division and under Del, we went into June with the the bulk of the squad signed up with a few new players being brought in sporadically at the end of May and throughout June and July. It just doesn't add up.

Apart from not understanding how the club knew they were being ripped off with the student gate, this one also baffles me.

Hearing that we have to pay players over the summer this year suggests we only normally have something like 9 or 10 month contracts, ending in May after the last game. Even Blackpool famously paid their players a pittance over the non playing summer months so I doubt we'd sink that low.

We keep hearing of most contracts being up on 30 June suggesting we pay players for a year from 1 July to 30 June. I would have taken it that any contract for 'next season' would kick in on 1 July no matter when it was signed, be it February 19 or 1 July itself. Saints therefore wouldn't start paying any increased term until the 1 July. Where then does this paying players extra over the summer come from?

I would have taken it that any contract for 'next season' would kick in on 1 July no matter when it was signed, be it February 19 or 1 July itself. Saints therefore wouldn't start paying any increased term until the 1 July. Where then does this paying players extra over the summer come from?

That's a very interesting point. Unfortunately, Steve Brown would never talk shite so that simply can't be the case, despite it appearing logical.

It's a shame that Celtic is the first game as I thought it could have been an imaginative idea to offer admission at 1989 prices for the first home game since it's 25 years at McDiarmid Park. Off the back of a few European games that might have been possible but clearly understand when you have 4,000 Celtic fans coming, you don't do that. Even the next home game against Aberdeen doesn't really suit it. Would have maybe got a bit of press coverage though an appealed to a lot of lapsed fans who look back on that period fondly.

That's a great idea, it's a shame it's not really possible for the reasons you say, I hadn't realised the fixtures, four big crowds to start the season three of which will be at a higher price the money men should be happy with that......

Noticed on WAP one of the (excellent) contributions from a Slovakian mentioned they committed 36 fouls in the 90 minutes against Zestafoni at home. A quick scan of the UEFA site shows that to be correct, which is a quite incredible number. In 120 minutes, FC Minsk committed 32 fouls and I remember looking at quite a lot of the ties in that round last year and there wasn't really anything close to that total (we committed 12 fouls, for example) so for a team to commit 36 fouls seems ridiculous. Discipline key for Saints then and obviously making the most of set pieces, which we didn't do against that gang from Belarus. Hopefully a strong referee too.

Read your post a couple up. Like Kyle, I agree with a lot of it but the part about us being skint is just nonsense that the club want us to believe. When a chap that is/was more than capable of rational thought starts coming away with that, it reads like it's someone else pulling the strings. I can only tell you how I perceive your posts as compared to what they used to be, whether that is or isn't the case.

Maybe the chairman should stop hiding behind the fans group when he makes decisions and it won't be misconstrued that he is using a dozen people to represent the views of an entire support. In reality, I know you are only representing your own views but the chairman on more than one occasion has suggested otherwise when giving interviews and trying to justify things.

I appreciate I started this but if talk about prices and food was banal, this must be even worse.

And for that he's an arse, you will get no disagreement from me on that point. Some of the stuff he has come out with recently has been awful ( the £170,00,0 come and give us it if you have it spare, is a perfect example) but the fact is that if he says we are struggling for cash, I am gonna believe him because I fail to see why or what would lead him say it if it were not true. Like everyone else, I would love to see us sign a few new faces and splash a bit of cash but if it harms our long term prospects then I would rather we were frugal..

I have not asked him about this issue but be assured I will when I get the opportunity, and you can also be assured that when I get his response I will not be slow in letting you and everyone else know what he said..Then we can all try and judge whether he is being truthful or not..

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.. Enjoy the game ;)

Due to this game I won't be seeing my girlfriend for the entire day tomorrow, as I likely won't get home until 10ish and she'll possibly be in bed due to work the next day. Its her birthday. We better win :lol:

Worrying news that McDonald is almost fully fit, don't think he'll get his place just yet though.

Agree with the shouts that we should be a bit cautious early on until we suss them out, so starting with Croft and May on the wings and Macca on his own up top would probably be the preferred option. Our away form in Europe means a clean sheet for us here could be decisive

Archived